Do you go somewhere to run, or just your neighborhood?

Options
I would love to go somewhere beautiful with pretty scenery to run, but don't really have a location close to home.

So when I start running next month, it will just be in the neighborhood.

Replies

• hstallings13
    Options
    I run where I live, but I also live out in the country so it works well for me, little traffic and lots of roads
  • Lollyvoddy
    Lollyvoddy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I run around my neighbourhood mostly (I run at 5am, so it's all about staying safe and not getting lost!) On my weekend runs I explore a bit more further afield. I like to enter races in different towns, a great way to explore new places! :-)
  • johnny_k
    johnny_k Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    You can go to http://www.walkjogrun.net/ and see runs near you. There might be some that you don't know about.
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I run around my neighborhood most of the time, but mainly stick to side roads to avoid running into too much traffic. I do occasionally go to the park trails to run, but not very often.
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Both. I love the streets of our neighborhood, but I really love the padded track at work. I feel like I"m in Heaven when I'm on the track. Don't forget--you might have some pretty awesome trails locally too.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Usually just arouind my neighbourhood, but for long weekend runs I sometimes drive to the beach so I can run along the beachside path for a nice change.
    Have a look at your neighbourhood on a map to see if you can spot any green areas that you don't know - I found a golf course yesterday that I hadn't really realised was there, so ran in that direction for a change :)
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I run in my neighborhood, but there are so many great places to run there! Check out run keeper, and see if people in your area have mapped out runs. I found a ton of routes I never would have known about!
  • BigMike915
    BigMike915 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I run/walk at a local park. They have a half mile crushed gravel track and about 7 miles of trails. If I feel like seeing scenery I will run the trails. If it's dark I use the track.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I run around our town most of the time. When I started running last year I usually utilized the high school track (Hamster Wheel of Boredom). There is one park across the stateline in Orange, TX that has a 1 mile dirt trail/loop that I like to run at when ever possible.
  • natika33
    natika33 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I jog where ever I am, but if there's something pretty too look at when jogging it makes it more interesting. I try to jog by water even if it's only a somewhat dirty river covered by many bridges in an otherwise urban setting. Or you could try finding a neighbourhood near you with old houses, or pretty gardens. Try rich people's neighbourhoods. No one says you have to live there to jog there! ha ha!
  • mandysjourney
    mandysjourney Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I run in my neighbour hood but I am right near the ocean so I go along past that. I only have to dodge a bit of traffic. Will have to plan out a new route though as I am going further now and have to finish with a lap of the block.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i live right under the verazzano bridge, at the mouth of new york harbor, and it is a very impressive scene. i love seeing the ships coming in and out.

you live in norfolk, why don't you go running near the harbor or something??

plus, like the person said, try a mobile app to track your run. something like iMapmyrun. don't let the name fool you, it's available for droid too.
  • moonflower09
    moonflower09 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    You can go to http://www.walkjogrun.net/ and see runs near you. There might be some that you don't know about.

What a great site! Thanks so much for sharing! I love the info I pick up on MFP!
  • moonflower09
    moonflower09 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I travel for a living. I keep my shoes in the car and when necessary I do my walks out in neighborhoods, country paths or downtown citys.
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I go somewhere because I find running on a gravel trail was a lot less hard on my knees. When I was running on the sidewalk my knees started to hurt.
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I look for school ovals. A little bit hampster wheel like but I like to run barefoot and in the city, the oval is guaranteed lush, green, grass. Now I have rad shoes, I would run trails if there were any nearby though.
  • hockeymom180
    hockeymom180 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I run up and down my driveway, which is heavily wooded and .1 mile long.
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    On weekdays I run the neighborhood - to a track, run the track, then back. On Saturdays I treat myself to a pretty decent trail run in a wooded area. It's something to look forward to. I love it.

Where I used to live in Colorado, even the running around the neighborhood involved dirt trail thru woods & by a river, and seeing wildlife. It was perfect!
  • megskin15
    Options
    The "block" I live on in the country is almost exactly 5K. So I "run" that. :wink:

Now if only I could actually run the entire thing instead of walking half it.......
  • starocelot
    starocelot Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I sometimes run out on the boulevard around the back bay here in Portland, Maine. It's nice cause it has markers for every 1/4 mile so I know how far I've been, and it has such a great scenary to look at while running. But I do run alot around my neighborhood when not at the back bay. I am currently training to run my first half marathon in two and half weeks, so I like to keep track of the mileage I run. I definitely recommend www.mapmyrun.com and they also have an app for smartphones. It has runs that others have run in my area so I'm always up for checking out some new runs!