Gain muscle and lose body fat.

Options
ashishjaincs
ashishjaincs Posts: 7 Member
edited September 2021 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi,

I am new to fitness pal. I have been using this for a little over 3 weeks and continuously eating in a calorie deficit. I am also regularly working out for over 4 months but I still don't see much change in my body shape or on the weight scale.
I follow an alternate upper and lower body workout schedule and try to insert a HIIT session on a treadmill in between.
On average, I burn about 350-400 during my workout session as per my smartwatch but I still try to keep my calorie intake within 1500 as suggested by MyfitnessPal. Still, I don't see any noticeable changes in my body.
One day, I see a couple of lbs drop on the weight scale but the next day, it's back to the same number. The same goes for body fat. I am 164 Cms and weighs about 152 lbs. I am trying to reach about 145.
Anything that I could possibly be doing wrong or it is just me being impatient?

Any suggestion?

Thanks, much!!

Replies

• Beverly2Hansen
    Beverly2Hansen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    So are you eating 1500 without eating back exercise calories? Because if you eat 1500+ 400 exercise calories in most cases for your height that's maintenance calories even with exercise. I plateaued for nearly 2 years by eating back my exercise at 5'5". If I drop to 1500calories and don't eat back exercise calories I begin to lose weight especially if I stay well hydrated.
  • ashishjaincs
    Options
    Thanks much for the detailed explanation.
    I will try and change the calorie deficit plan to 250 from now onwards. I do log all my foods as per the nutrition info table on the food Item except the home-cooked food which I can only estimate.
    Could you please explain a bit more about this statement of yours?
    "Your described workouts are exactly opposite - intervals and lifting is anaerobic, and HR all over the place constantly."
    I didn't quite get what you meant here.
    As for the measurements, I measure my weight first thing in the morning every day, just after drinking a glass of water. As per the BF% scale, my BF today was 26% and yesterday it was 28% and it keeps getting a little up and down around the same number.
    Really appreciate your response.

Thanks!
  • jtwohig358
    jtwohig358 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You didn't say whether you are male or female but 1500 calories a day seems low to me in either case. It might be worthwhile to calculate your BMR. Calculations such as www.calculator.net/bmr-calculator.html may not be completely accurate but neither your food recording or your fitbit are either. I am pretty sure I read a long time ago that if you eat less than your BMR your body thinks you are starving it and wants to save body fat so you won't lose much.

To do a reasonableness check on your BMR see how many calories your smartwatch says you burn while sleeping. If you burn 480 calories in 8 hours of sleep take 60 (480/8 = 60) x 24 to get 1,440 and see if it is close to what the BMR calculator gives.

During the day, even when you aren't exercising, you are burning more than your hourly BMR so, if your BMR is 1500, burning 400 during exercise, and another 300 during the rest of the day you would burn 2,200 calories in a day. I would think you would feel quite uncomfortable burning 2,200 and only eating 1,500 and it would be tough to keep it up for long. Why not wear your smartwatch all day to get a better idea of what you are burning?

I agree that aiming for a 250 calorie deficit per day is realistic. That should be about 1/2 pound fat loss per week and shouldn't be hard to do without going without the food you want or having to exercise more than you want. When I want to lose weight I target a 500 calorie daily deficit (One pound per week). I never feel like I give up eating anything I want, although I probably exercise more than most.

Also, if you are weight training regularly, it is possible that you are adding muscle and the weight scale can't tell the difference between fat or muscle. However, you are not going to gain muscle without protein and, if you are only eating 1,500 calories a day it is very unlikely you are getting enough. Do a bit of research to see how much protein you need, keeping in mind that you will need more if you are weightlifting to gain muscle.

Don't be concerned about daily weight changes. Hydration levels and waste passing through your body can make a couple of pounds difference from one day to the next. If you are targeting losing 1/2 pound per day the daily changes on the scale are just noise. The approach that makes sense to me is to weigh yourself daily, take a weekly average, and compare weeks. That will remove the variances from hydration levels.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,267 Member
    Options
    So are you eating 1500 without eating back exercise calories? Because if you eat 1500+ 400 exercise calories in most cases for your height that's maintenance calories even with exercise. I plateaued for nearly 2 years by eating back my exercise at 5'5". If I drop to 1500calories and don't eat back exercise calories I begin to lose weight especially if I stay well hydrated.

And at that same 5'5", if I ate 1500+exercise calories, I'd lose at least a pound a week, even at age 65. I lose (slowly, the only way I *should* lose at 125 pounds, if I should lose at all!) at 1850+exercise. On person's experience doesn't shed much light on what another person should do.

What does shed light? Using a reasonable "calculator" estimate (MFP + exercise sensibly estimated, or the estimate from a detailed TDEE calculator) as a start, logging intake and exercise carefully, then adjusting based on personal experience over at least 6 weeks or so.

@ashishjaincs, Mr. @heybales is very knowledgeable. When he types, pay attention.

You asked what he meant when he said "Your described workouts are exactly opposite - intervals and lifting is anaerobic, and HR all over the place constantly."

In my understanding, a heart rate monitor *may* give a reasonable calorie estimate for steady state cardiovascular exercise for someone who has a statistically average maximum heart rate.

A good part of your exercise, as you describe it, is strength exercise (upper/lower body) and intervals (HIIT). Those are very much *not* what heart rate monitors (HRM) are good at estimating.**

That's true, even if you have a statistically average maximum heart rate as estimated from age. I don't have statistically average HRmax, and many people don't. If I believed exercise calorie estimates based on my age-estimated maximum heart rate (155), I'd get crazy-high calorie estimates, because my actual HRmax is around 180. This is not a fitness thing, it's more of a genetic thing, and it's pretty common. The age estimates, to which many HRM default, are inaccurate for many people.

** Read this, give it a think:
    https://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak?month=201003

Heart rate increases for lots of reasons that have nothing to do with calorie expenditure: High emotion, dehydration, warm ambient temperature, internal body pressure (common during strength training), limited endurance (an issue with new exercisers especially), and much more.

HRMs can be useful for estimating calories, but they're not gospel like some people think. For strength exercise specifically, the MFP data base estimate (strength training, under cardiovascular) is pretty realistic, better than a heart rate estimate. (MFP estimates exercise based on METS, which is a research-based thing, too. There's a flaw in how MFP does this, but the basic approach works for many activities.

There are pros and cons for most exercise calorie estimating methods, with some methods better for some exercise types.) You can learn more about METS exercise estimating here: https://sites.google.com/site/compendiumofphysicalactivities/
  • plsteed
    plsteed Posts: 1 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    My nutritionist and my dietitian both said that building muscle is good. It absorbs sugar, which is good for diabetics. And they both said that muscle does not weigh more than fat. My dietitian told me to eat enough calories and carbs to jump-start my metabolism. When I eat enough calories and carbs, I lose weight. It's all about metabolism. She also said that I should consume 30 grams of carbs per MEAL, not per DAY. That was an eye-opener. She discouraged me from doing the Keto Diet. Drinking 12 glasses of water every day also helps with weight loss. It also dilutes blood sugar. That's 2 glasses before and after each meal. Try it.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,529 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    There have been some very informed responses here already.

I agree about targeting 250 deficit. If you're logging your food input well (and your drinks?), which it sounds like you are, then the issue may be your watches estimation of calories burned is too high (as some have explained already why), so if you're eating back all of those calories you won't be at the deficit you think you are.

Are you having "cheat days" or "cheat meals" where you maybe don't track those? At a small daily deficit, that will wipe out your deficit on a weekly basis.

Have you taken pictures from a few months ago to the present, to verify for sure that you aren't really making any progress? If so, perhaps your strength training isn't taxing enough, and you need to progress there. Increase the sets, the reps, the weight, etc.

How much protein are you getting? You should be aiming for at least 90g-100g per day.

The body fat scales are notoriously inaccurate, and best used for a general trend at most.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Thanks much for the detailed explanation.
    I will try and change the calorie deficit plan to 250 from now onwards. I do log all my foods as per the nutrition info table on the food Item except the home-cooked food which I can only estimate.
    Could you please explain a bit more about this statement of yours?
    "Your described workouts are exactly opposite - intervals and lifting is anaerobic, and HR all over the place constantly."
    I didn't quite get what you meant here.
    As for the measurements, I measure my weight first thing in the morning every day, just after drinking a glass of water. As per the BF% scale, my BF today was 26% and yesterday it was 28% and it keeps getting a little up and down around the same number.
    Really appreciate your response.

Thanks!

Ann nailed the answer to that.
    And threw in another major caveat, and there are a couple more mentioned in that reference given.
    (and may I say your reference to HIIT on the treadmill is like the 1st time in years I've seen someone use that term correctly, instead of fadishly being slapped on all manner of video workouts and others)
    I brought that up since you mentioned smartwatch and calorie burn. If it seems to be decent at tracking steps and distance is accurate - it may have a good figure for daily burn outside of exercise.
    But for those 2 workouts, using HR (and if it has HR, it's using HR-based calorie burn during workouts) is not best for calorie burn.

You aren't accounting for exercise calories right now anyway - so it doesn't matter for your food goals.
    But you should, and then it would matter.

Your lifting would be better served manually logging on MFP as Strength Training - calorie burn won't be that high, but it matters.
    Your HIIT (since true HIIT on treadmill) would be best logged manually using distance and time and pace from here, using the NET option. If usually pretty similar workouts, the numbers won't change enough to recalc each time.
    https://exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs

Just keep tracking the BF%, but it won't be meaningful numbers until over a month of figures to indicate a direction.
    Also, water in the body is part of the LBM% figure (Lean Body Mass), everything that is not FM (Fat Mass).
    Drink 16 oz you just gained 1 lb of LBM, and that will throw off the BF% estimate.

So that's great using the nutrition info when logging when it's available. It can be annoying to find the entry with correct current info, but once it's in your Frequent/Recent list - much easier.

But you didn't actually say you weigh your food.
    That can usually make the homemade stuff easier too.

The 250 deficit is so minor, and you have a nice small amount to lose - you may want to try an alternate method of tackling this - especially because it doesn't sound like you've gotten to last 7 lbs after losing like 50 already.
    Take a 500 cal deficit daily for one week, and then a week eating at maintenance. (logging workouts correctly in either case)

This would allow your workouts to be much stronger, for sure during the maintenance week, and probably the 1st and 2nd on the diet week.
    Wouldn't need to mess with settings on MFP, just know 1 week you go 500 into the red for eating goal. Or set to maintenance, and 1 week you leave 500 in the green.

Just a thought since you mentioned still wanting to gain muscle.
  • ashishjaincs
    Options
    Thanks so much to all of you amazing people for taking the time to reply to my query.
    As suggested, I have started to eat more and got close enough to 1500 + my exercise calories.
    My daily protein intake is about 100-120 gms using a protein shake, cottage cheese, peanut butter, etc.
    I keep myself hydrated and drink about 120-160 Oz of water every day. I have stopped putting sugar in my tea/coffee and haven't had a beer in months.:).
    I keep reading a lot about exercising/body building and food etc, and when I see people post like 4 months tranformation or 6 months tranformation, I starts to feel like if I am diong anything wrong in my routines.
    But I guess everyone's body is diffrent and getting into a good shape is a process that takes time and 4 months are not good enough for that. I'll continue working towards that. I think it was me just being impatient.:)

I ll keep you all posted with my progress.

Thanks again!

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Those are probably like the top 1% of dedicated people whose genetics would have benefited them no matter what they did.

Like the line where too much diet becomes extreme to your body with resulting negative effects - there are lines that studies seem to indicate are average for average people in the study.
    But some people have a line that is less extreme before problems, some have a personal line that could be much more extreme.
    Without a study though people can go pushing or stepping over that line - and ill effects can take weeks and months to show up.
    But some can go well beyond that average and have no issues.

Same for exercise and response.

So if those before & after are actually true - you just are seeing the top tier who happened to luck out probably through no knowledge or skill of their own.
    Now - they were also probably very dedicated to the routine, adhered great to progressive overload, didn't miss workouts, correct amount of volume weekly, proper recovery, no injuries, ect.

There's probably another group that could have great genetic response - but life or decisions got in the way and prevented the best possible outcome, and they got average.

Along with them are those with not great genetics - but they did adhere to the program great and still got average.

And we all know about the 4th group.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,267 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much to all of you amazing people for taking the time to reply to my query.
    As suggested, I have started to eat more and got close enough to 1500 + my exercise calories.
    My daily protein intake is about 100-120 gms using a protein shake, cottage cheese, peanut butter, etc.
    I keep myself hydrated and drink about 120-160 Oz of water every day. I have stopped putting sugar in my tea/coffee and haven't had a beer in months.:).
    I keep reading a lot about exercising/body building and food etc, and when I see people post like 4 months tranformation or 6 months tranformation, I starts to feel like if I am diong anything wrong in my routines.
    But I guess everyone's body is diffrent and getting into a good shape is a process that takes time and 4 months are not good enough for that. I'll continue working towards that. I think it was me just being impatient.:)

I ll keep you all posted with my progress.

Thanks again!

Besides the very realistic views of the role of genetic potential and patient/persistent work, there's also the very real possibility that on some sites, the stats with the before and after photos (like the dates) are just not true.

There have been stories in the past here on MFP about people posting before and after pictures here or on IG or whatever, then seeing their photos show up later on some scammy commercial site with some other person's name, shortened time between before/after dates, misrepresentation about process used to get from before to after (usually claiming they'd used the sites products/process when they'd done no such thing), or things like that.

Not all claims are true.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,547 Member
    Options
    I always considered myself a hard gainer, but the reality was I had always had a lousy diet. As soon as I started following the Agoge diet, I started gaining muscle fast!
    Well you DON'T gain muscle fast (unless maybe you're on some PED's). Gaining muscle is basically just ensuring you're doing a progressive overload program (to force the muscle to break down) and an eating program that supplies enough protein and carbs to ensure rebuilding. If you're SEEING more muscle, in most cases it's usually because you're losing body fat. It doesn't necessarily mean you've added muscle.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • gazpainter
    gazpainter Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Cut out peanut butter! High calories when you can have greek yogurt and get loads more protein too
  • age_is_just_a_number
    Options
    Likely just you being impatient. Read this funny article on weight fluctuation. https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/

It is not impossible to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. But it is difficult because inherently to gain muscle you need to be at a caloric surplus and to lose fat you need to be at a caloric deficit. You can google “ lose fat and gain muscle at the same time “ and you’ll get hundreds of articles on how to do it. The key theme you’ll find in these articles are:
    - must have a caloric deficit
    - Must lift heavy weights with few reps
    - Must have high protein intake

Two articles I find helpful on this topic:
    https://legionathletics.com/body-recomposition/
    https://legionathletics.com/newbie-gains/

Disclaimer: Legion Athletics is a supplement and coaching company. I do not support the use of supplements and have not purchased anything from them. I just find their articles informative.