Can you exercise too much?

Ket0_queen21
Ket0_queen21 Posts: 14 Member
edited November 2021 in Fitness and Exercise
Say if I get up in the morning and cycle walk run weights swim workout and only sitting down to eat my meals until I go to bed would it be too much ?

What would be the benefits or negatives?

Replies

• Ket0_queen21
    Ket0_queen21 Posts: 14 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Going from (near) zero to constant exercise would be a bad idea, counter productive. (If we exercise too much for our current level of fitness, our body effectively claws back some of the calorie expenditure by making us exhausted.)

Why do you think you should exercise more? Exercising all day long to lose weight faster is a really, really bad plan - can lead to injuries, ill health, hair loss, heart problems . . . ugh.

What are you trying to accomplish? People here might be able to help you figure out a more productive route.

It's possible to gradually work up to quite high amounts of exercise, but even elite athletes who spend lots of time working out nearly every day will build in appropriate rest, recovery, fueling, balance of higher and lower intensity exercise (less of the former, more of the latter), and things like that.

For anyone, trying to go all out all day every day is counterproductive for health, fitness *and* weight management. For *anyone*, even a very fit person. For a relative beginner to exercise, it's even worse. Terrible plan.

Again: What are you trying to achieve? Why do you think you should exercise more?

To get healthier fitter faster and something productive to fill my days.

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,871 Member
    Try it for a month first, then let us know what you think. :)
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    I second (third? fourth?) @AnnPT77 's advice above.

I was fairly active just going about my daily life before weight loss, but as I have lost weight my activity has increased further. I am active most of the day now, but only about 45 minutes to 1 hour is what I would call formal exercise - running three days per week and lifting three days per week. But I have built in walks for errands (I started with a smaller radius and now have branched out to walking to anything within 1.5 miles that doesn't require carrying loads that can't be stowed under a stroller) and spend time with hobbies like gardening and cooking/baking. I like to read, so I do still sit down and take a break to do that, or watch a little TV in the evenings, but I can also "read" by listening to audiobooks while housecleaning (or on a run!). My leisure activities have also broadened to more outdoor activity with my kids instead of sit down activities like read-alouds or board games (we still get a healthy dose of these and I expect there to be more of that once the really cold weather hits, but for now I'm going to enjoy being outside and playing catch or hopscotch or finally using that old croquet set.)

That might all sound like a lot and that's because it is! But I didn't just jump from doing a lot of sitting around to doing all of that in one day. I built them in a little at a time. I look forward to them because as I've lost weight I like moving my body more and find these things enjoyable instead of just chores to get through and endure. And most of them are not focused solely on exercise but spending time with loved ones, doing things to make someone's day a little bit brighter, and just the mundane necessities of living one's life. I think the idea to find and practice hobbies is a great one, especially if you can find a way to serve others (even in a small way!) by doing so. It can be hard nowadays depending on where you are and whether people are meeting formally or not, but if you don't have people in your household or locally to spend time with, and you'd like company, I'd check and see what community activities are available and suggest meeting people that way - it can be a really fun way to try something new!
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Pick something you'd like to improve at, use a good training program appropriate to your starting level and *follow the program* when it comes to rest/recovery to build in. If you want to be super bold, start a cardio training program of some sort (C25K if can and want to run, otherwise a rowing, biking, swimming (or dance, whatever) program that's analogous). Then, after you give that around (say) a month to settle in, add a beginner strength training program. Or do the strength program first, cardio after the strength program settles in.

This!

If going from minimal activity level, then you'll be very, very sore even when starting something new at an appropriate starting level of volume.. so waiting for your body to adjust to it before adding in the other (cardio option/weight training) would be a good idea.

You'll be able to find training plans online for many things defining your goal and current starting level (from running to weight training to cycling to ...). And these plans will define the frequency and volume. Going more than that will backfire on you (injury, weakness from not recovering,..).

(For instance, beginning running programs typically start with partial walking, recommend no more than 3 days per week, and have distances. Beginner weight training programs are typically 3x/week. 1-2 days for muscles to recover. and supporting/stabilizing parts of the body will take time to be strong enough to support higher volume without injury).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    Going from (near) zero to constant exercise would be a bad idea, counter productive. (If we exercise too much for our current level of fitness, our body effectively claws back some of the calorie expenditure by making us exhausted.)

Why do you think you should exercise more? Exercising all day long to lose weight faster is a really, really bad plan - can lead to injuries, ill health, hair loss, heart problems . . . ugh.

What are you trying to accomplish? People here might be able to help you figure out a more productive route.

It's possible to gradually work up to quite high amounts of exercise, but even elite athletes who spend lots of time working out nearly every day will build in appropriate rest, recovery, fueling, balance of higher and lower intensity exercise (less of the former, more of the latter), and things like that.

For anyone, trying to go all out all day every day is counterproductive for health, fitness *and* weight management. For *anyone*, even a very fit person. For a relative beginner to exercise, it's even worse. Terrible plan.

Again: What are you trying to achieve? Why do you think you should exercise more?

To get healthier fitter faster and something productive to fill my days.

Going all out right away definitely won't make you healthier faster, nor fitter faster. It's much more likely to get you burned out and maybe injured.

Pick something you'd like to improve at, use a good training program appropriate to your starting level and *follow the program* when it comes to rest/recovery to build in. If you want to be super bold, start a cardio training program of some sort (C25K if can and want to run, otherwise a rowing, biking, swimming (or dance, whatever) program that's analogous). Then, after you give that around (say) a month to settle in, add a beginner strength training program. Or do the strength program first, cardio after the strength program settles in.

As a generality, start with a manageable level of physical challenge, then gradually increase duration, intensity, frequency or exercise type(s) to keep a manageable challenge in the picture long-term. That's IMO a better, smarter route to improved health and fitness. Rest and recovery is part of how people make actual fitness progress. (That probably means actual days off exercise as a beginner starting out; as you get fitter, it can be varying exercise types and intensities in terms of how they stress your body instead.

If you need something productive to fill your days when you're ramping up exercise gradually, consider setting yourself to learn about something that interests you, work on a new skill/hobby or revive and refine an old one, or something like that. Even something like meditation can be good, or a practice from your faith tradition if you have one. Physical progress isn't the only kind of progress that contributes to health. Cognitive and psychological health is pretty important, too.

^^ This is a great post. On the point in the last paragraph, I just wanted to add the suggestion of finding a cause or a need that inspires you to want to help and volunteering.

Best of luck, @Ket0_queen21

Yes, I've been doing volunteer work off and on since I was a kid, and in transition points of my life, such as now, having lost my job to COVID, I volunteer more. I still message my old coworkers and some days it feels like I'm still employed - I'm spending the same amount of time engaging with former coworkers and almost the same amount of time at my desk. My volunteer job used to have Zoom meetings, so that was another constant.
  • DawnGW26
    DawnGW26 Posts: 122 Member
    Simply, you run the risk of injury if you go too fast/too much too quickly.
    And if you get injured, it is a setback and you end up having to start all over again.
    Just take it slowly! Increase over time.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited September 2021
    This is a horrible idea
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    Google Rabdomiolisis
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Unless you are a professional athlete (in which case, you wouldn't be asking your question), your exercise plan needs to fit into and support the rest of your life. In other words, you are trying to exercise regularly in to be healthy. How much exercise you "need" is hotly debated. (The first question being, need for what purpose?) But, it is known that even small amounts of exercise are very beneficial.

To learn more about the issue of how much exercise you need, go to this page and listen to the podcast. It's really interesting:

http://blogs.wgbh.org/innovation-hub/2021/9/17/whats-point-exercise/
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,248 Member
    edited September 2021
    OP hasn’t logged in for over a week.
    But I do want to point out that MFP and most other fitness apps only give “credit” for two hours of exercise daily. Beyond that you get zero credit.

This is on purpose. Because beyond that it’s more likely to be a symptom of anorexia when done on a daily basis.
    Professional athletes with good coaches and nutritionists are an exception.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    edited September 2021
    Yeah I occasionally log a 4-6 hour hikes. I'm credited all the calories for it. Might not let you set goals formore than 2 hours a day in goal set up? Not sure since I don't use that feature.