looking for some good atheist support !!

Options

Replies

• engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    tumblr_l6v4wsHnay1qd7pj1o1_400.gif
  • missalicia78
    Options
    i'm agnostic, no one accepts me *sobs*

I accept you! :)

I think I understand where the author of this thread was going and I don't understand why people are questioning her. Similar to what someone else said, if you don't like her point of view, then just ignore it. Don't go to a thread marked "looking for some good atheist support" if you take issue with atheists! ;)

The "God talk" doesn't bother me much to tell you the truth but, if someone were constantly aiming religiosity toward me, it may start to become grating. I just ignore any religious inspiration on here. Hey, if that's what helps you then more power to you! To each their own!
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    ya...its just like these forums..its ok to post things about christian support, or married people support etc etc...but soon as you post gay or lesbian or now atheist support, is when all heck breaks loose and people get all defensive. saying 'what does this have to do with weight loss' blah blah, same old rhetoric. and we can say the same to those god lovers..if you dont like gay or atheist talk dont read it..dont be hypocrites
  • Naomi_84
    Naomi_84 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I do think the "God chat" is inappropriate on here. It shouldn't matter . But then I suppose everybody is entitled to their opinion , and if that is what is giving a person inspiration....live and let live. Atheism discussions equally inappropriate!
    I agree wholeheartedly. I just don't understand the "haters".
    edit: on either side. I hope everyone has success with losing weight.

It isn't hate, just people with different views and everybody is entitled to try to find like minded people on here to support and motivate. Religion makes some uncomfortable, to others it is a major positive part in their lives and they talk about God a lot of course they do and good for them but some people don't like to hear it.
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    In that case. Maybe us atheists can carry on our conversation in peace. THANK YOU.

So, question #1. Is being godless better or worse for weight loss? Kneeling does burn more calories than thinking folks....
  • Fatchickslim
    Fatchickslim Posts: 396 Member
    Options

I accept you! :)

I think I understand where the author of this thread was going and I don't understand why people are questioning her. Similar to what someone else said, if you don't like her point of view, then just ignore it. Don't go to a thread marked "looking for some good atheist support" if you take issue with atheists! ;)

The "God talk" doesn't bother me much to tell you the truth but, if someone were constantly aiming religiosity toward me, it may start to become grating. I just ignore any religious inspiration on here. Hey, if that's what helps you then more power to you! To each their own!

Totally agree
  • city_of_frogs
    city_of_frogs Posts: 101 Member
    Options

Start our own club?

I'm happy to be your friend.
    No god to thank for my progress :-)
  • leilaphoenix
    Options
    Also, if I thought I was losing weight to keep myself out of hell (gluttony is a supposed sin after all) I might be less likely to have a naughty chocolate bar.
  • Fatchickslim
    Options
    ya...its just like these forums..its ok to post things about christian support, or married people support etc etc...but soon as you post gay or lesbian or now atheist support, is when all heck breaks loose and people get all defensive. saying 'what does this have to do with weight loss' blah blah, same old rhetoric. and we can say the same to those god lovers..if you dont like gay or atheist talk dont read it..dont be hypocrites

Seriously does that happen? That's pretty sad, I would have thought that if some was asking for support it has everything to with weightloss regardless of what their religion, race, sex or sexual preference! Everyone faces challenges on the road and if you can find people who understand it's going to be helpful in the long run.
  • Naomi_84
    Naomi_84 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Exactly!! Here is one woman, looking for a certain kind of person. I've seen some posts on here "looking for 5 ft tall women", "Looking for people from the UK", "looking for people with 40lbs to lose", these posts don't apply to me I wouldn't go and challenge the posters' reasons, I would just accept that that is a person looking for something I am not. I would not become offended, that's one reason I am uncomfortable with religion, everyone's veins seem so set, no room for others opinions. Get off your high horses and leave the conversation if you don't like it.
  • Fatchickslim
    Options
    Also, if I thought I was losing weight to keep myself out of hell (gluttony is a supposed sin after all) I might be less likely to have a naughty chocolate bar.

lol I think there's alot of people who are going to burn if chocolate is the key! lol
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

Completely with you on that. I'm an atheist. I have the utmost respect for people of faith. But I do also get where the OP is coming from - there's an awfully large number of bible verses in circulation on here.

I have several Muslim MFP friends, and to be honest, apart from the occasional 'god willing' in their posts, you really wouldn't know they were Muslim - they're just very nice friendly, kind people who don't feel the need to talk about their faith all the time.... (Despite clearly being very devout.)

I think perhaps it's particularly jarring for someone who lives in the UK, which, while nominally a Christian nation, tends to be frankly less in your face about it all...
  • meerkat70
    Options
    In that case. Maybe us atheists can carry on our conversation in peace. THANK YOU.

So, question #1. Is being godless better or worse for weight loss? Kneeling does burn more calories than thinking folks....

Leila, as a former Catholic, I can assure you, I did an awful lot of kneeling, genuflected regularly, and still managed to get really *quite large*. Perhaps I was performing the sign of the cross wrong, but it didn't seem to offer much of a workout for my triceps. And the stations of the cross didn't seem to raise my heart rate much above resting.
  • Sezmo83
    Sezmo83 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Completely non religious person here. Feel free to add me. I've not seen too much god talk on here to be honest and if I do see it I just ignore it. I have no problem with people who do practice religion as long as they don't ram it down my throat.
  • Sezmo83
    Sezmo83 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Hmm...double post. Maybe I'll start a religion that worships accidental double posts.
  • meerkat70
    Options

Seriously does that happen? That's pretty sad, I would have thought that if some was asking for support it has everything to with weightloss regardless of what their religion, race, sex or sexual preference! Everyone faces challenges on the road and if you can find people who understand it's going to be helpful in the long run.

Several threads by gay and lesbian posters asking for LGBT friends have been deleted. Yes, it certainly happens.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    fun fact, the Treaty of Tripoli, which was signed by the USA in 1797 (when founding fathers were still alive), clearly states that the united states of america is NOT a christian nation and was never intended to be founded as one. It read as:

"As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion,—as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen,—and as the said States never entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries."

Enjoy.
  • leilaphoenix
    Options
    [disclaimer] This thread was started to see if a "looking for atheists" subject is allowed. It seems that it is, for now. However, as I learned from friends last week, "looking for gays" is certainly not allowed. I find this absolutely frogging ridiculous. Where is the site hosted 1970s Texas? Get with the programme MFP, as much as I love you. I don't hate religion. But I do hate preaching, and I do hate any discrimination against non-believers.[/discalimer]

I believe I should be allowed to seek people with a rational mind.
    I believe that people should be able to seek LGBT friends.

Also, I met Richard Dawkins the other day. He's pretty cool.
  • emilynelson26
    emilynelson26 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just read a thread a few posts down about looking for Christian support, and there were no protests or anyone questioning the original poster, just support from like minded people. Just like in real life, it's impossible for an atheist to get the same respect.

Anyway, I'm a proud atheist and would love to find other people on here that credit their weight loss to hard work and determination rather than a higher power.

I saw this map awhile ago and thought it was interesting that the higher rates of obesity tend to be in the more religious states. I wonder what the correlation is?

http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/trends.html
  • Fatchickslim
    Options
    [disclaimer] This thread was started to see if a "looking for atheists" subject is allowed. It seems that it is, for now. However, as I learned from friends last week, "looking for gays" is certainly not allowed. I find this absolutely frogging ridiculous. Where is the site hosted 1970s Texas? Get with the programme MFP, as much as I love you. I don't hate religion. But I do hate preaching, and I do hate any discrimination against non-believers.[/discalimer]

I believe I should be allowed to seek people with a rational mind.
    I believe that people should be able to seek LGBT friends.

Also, I met Richard Dawkins the other day. He's pretty cool.

Here, here and Amen
This discussion has been closed.