Discipline and Clean Eating

Options
I hate cutting. It makes me cranky and I’m not great at cooking healthy meals so the food that i make while cutting leaves a lot to be desired. I’m disciplined about working out because i enjoy it but not about clean eating because i don’t enjoy the food or lack of variety. Would love to hear suggestions for how you combat this with delicious healthy meal recipes or nutrition tricks to help keep you satiated. Thanks

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Far2shy wrote: »
    I hate cutting. It makes me cranky and I’m not great at cooking healthy meals so the food that i make while cutting leaves a lot to be desired. I’m disciplined about working out because i enjoy it but not about clean eating because i don’t enjoy the food or lack of variety. Would love to hear suggestions for how you combat this with delicious healthy meal recipes or nutrition tricks to help keep you satiated. Thanks

Satiety and "delicious" is very individual. There's a poster here who eats carnivore, loves it, and is losing weight. I'm nauseated at the thought of all the butter he's adding to meals (and I love butter.) What helps me cut calories is reducing fat. Fat carries flavor, so I make sure I use enough spices and seasonings to make up for it.

Thai food (that does not use coconut milk) tends to be low calorie and delicious. Just make sure you don't use American sized portions! I had chicken Pad Thai takeout the other night and got 4 servings out of it. I sauteed cabbage to bulk it up. I had two 75 g servings with scrambled eggs (and 40 g cabbage) for breakfast.

I posted this on another thread recently and have been thinking about it:
    From Michael Moss's "Salt Sugar Fat," one reason excessive salt is used is to solve the problem of "warmed over flavor."

https://scalar.usc.edu/works/uiuc-food-networks/media/MichaelMoss_SaltSugarFat2013_2.1.pdf

...Among all the miracles that salt performs for the processed food industry, perhaps the most essential involves a plague that the industry calls “warmed-over-flavor,” whose acronym, WOF, is pronounced something like the dog’s bark. WOF is caused by the oxidation of the fats in meat, which gives meat the taste of cardboard or, as some in the
    industry describe it, damp dog hair, when the meat is reheated after being precooked and added to soups or boxed meals. “Once warmed-over-flavor gets going, you are pretty well dead in the water, ” said Susan Brewer, a
    professor of food science in the University of Illinois’s College of Agricultural, Consumer and Environmental Science.

...This is where salt comes in. Once WOF sets in, salt becomes a convenient antidote for the processed food industry, which is heavily reliant on reheated meats. One of the most effective cures for WOF is an infusion of fresh spices, especially rosemary, which has antioxidants to counteract the meat’s deterioration. But fresh herbs are costly. So manufacturers more typically make sure they have lots of salt in their formulas. The cardboard or dog-hair taste is still there, but it is overpowered by the salt.

I can eat leftover chicken breast for days on end but am not a fan of leftover chicken thighs. After rereading that, I wondered if it is because thighs are higher fat and are oxidizing. Yesterday for lunch I stir fried (non-stick pan and spray oil) leftover chicken thigh with rice and green beans. I added rosemary, soy sauce, and just 4 g roasted sesame oil. It was delicious!
  • kshama2001
    Options

I don't have to combat anything because I don't eat food I don't enjoy and I get a lot of variety. In fact, I would argue that a diet that lacks variety is far more likely to be unhealthy than one that violates any of the 57 different vague definitions* for "clean eating" offered by its advocates.

*Number pulled out of thin air, but at one point someone on these boards was keeping a running list of definitions offered by proponents of "clean" diets, and the number was pretty high.

I just spent a lot of time attempting to track this down, and enjoyed revisiting a lot of the clean eating threads from 2011-2015.

I think Diane was the one who kept the list but can't find her exact user name. The search function doesn't like dianethegeek or dianethegreek.

I'll share this post, which has lots of food for thought in the OP and none of the entertaining bickering from the other threads:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/822501/halp-my-sandwich-isnt-clean/p1

Note that there was a typo in the Lyle McDonald link and it is actually this:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/hormonal-responses-fast-food-meal.html/
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,078 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I don't have to combat anything because I don't eat food I don't enjoy and I get a lot of variety. In fact, I would argue that a diet that lacks variety is far more likely to be unhealthy than one that violates any of the 57 different vague definitions* for "clean eating" offered by its advocates.

*Number pulled out of thin air, but at one point someone on these boards was keeping a running list of definitions offered by proponents of "clean" diets, and the number was pretty high.

I just spent a lot of time attempting to track this down, and enjoyed revisiting a lot of the clean eating threads from 2011-2015.

I think Diane was the one who kept the list but can't find her exact user name. The search function doesn't like dianethegeek or dianethegreek.

I'll share this post, which has lots of food for thought in the OP and none of the entertaining bickering from the other threads:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/822501/halp-my-sandwich-isnt-clean/p1

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/hormonal-responses-fast-food-meal.html/

"Dianne" with 2 Ns. I think this may be the thread you were thinking of?

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10337480/what-is-clean-eating/p1
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10337480/what-is-clean-eating/p1

Thanks, @AnnPT77 and @kshama2001 -- that's exactly what I was thinking of. 41 definitions. Not too terribly far off from the 57 I pulled out of thin air.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

nnl4okbl1532.png
  • Far2shy
    Far2shy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your feedback! I’ve lost weight and made a lot of progress. I used to order out a lot and started cooking my meals and I was enjoying that a lot until i realized that the meals i enjoy cooking are not considered to be healthy like pastas, pastries, creamy sauces. My body fat percentage is still high m. So I’ve been trying the if it fits your macros method and have been struggling with keeping my fat low as I’m used to a higher fat diet. I think i wrote this out of frustration when trying out several food combinations that i love and know how to cook that just didnt fit within my macros.

I think I’ll try different seasoning and maybe stay away from chicken. I suck at cooking chicken!
  • MichelleMcKeeRN
    MichelleMcKeeRN Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I do cook quite a bit but I often find I need something quick and easy. My go to is a snack box. I pick a couple raw veggies (cherry tomatoes, celery, carrots etc), chop up some cheese or use a pre-packaged cheese single, olives, nuts or peanut butter packet, 1/4 cup chopped leftover steak or chicken or hard boiled egg…. basically whatever is in the kitchen will do. Each snack box normally has 4-5 items. It is quick and easy.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your feedback! I’ve lost weight and made a lot of progress. I used to order out a lot and started cooking my meals and I was enjoying that a lot until i realized that the meals i enjoy cooking are not considered to be healthy like pastas, pastries, creamy sauces. My body fat percentage is still high m. So I’ve been trying the if it fits your macros method and have been struggling with keeping my fat low as I’m used to a higher fat diet. I think i wrote this out of frustration when trying out several food combinations that i love and know how to cook that just didnt fit within my macros.

I think I’ll try different seasoning and maybe stay away from chicken. I suck at cooking chicken!

Me too, cause that stuff is tasty! 😂

Have you tried continuing to cook some of those things you like, but having a smaller portion, and then eating a bowl of soup beforehand, a light salad, or some steamed vegetables to bulk it up?
    I LOVE pizza. When I was heavier, it would take *at least* 4 slices to fill me up, if not more. Since that time, I've learned how to be happy with 2 slices and a lower calorie vegetable side. That way, I still get the pizza I love, and I get some good greens and variety in my meal.
  • kshama2001
    Options

I wasn't great at cooking chicken until I got a digital meat thermometer - I used to always overcook it to be safe.