How often do you weigh yourself?

12346»

Replies

• Fatgonegirl
    Fatgonegirl Posts: 126 Member
    I weigh myself every morning, in the buff, after using the WC & before eating or drinking anything. My scales are linked to my fitbit account which in turn is linked to Trend Weight. I have been in maintenance for about 1 month but even before while I was reducing I was only really interested in the trend and not the individual daily weights. The whole thing takes seconds and I check the trend about once a week.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    rarely. i go by my.clothing and waist and bust size. my juniors.size 3 skirt.is fitting snug this weekend...so im cutting this.week till its lose

I think going by measurements can make a lot of sense, but at least for women who cycle there's going to be some fluctuation there too (what is often called "bloating.") In this case you just might be able to see and feel in your clothes the extra water retention that would show up on the scale, too, that will go away on its own at a different part in your cycle regardless of what you do. This effect might even be more noticeable if you tend to wear very fitted clothing. Just something to consider - one bad fit is one bad fit, but if you try it on again in a week it might very well not be snug anymore.

Speaking of cycles, I'm happy because for the first time today the Libra app is convinced my weight is trending downward and not up - I think I just started the daily weigh ins at a bad time for that. It was driving me bonkers to see that trend line going up, even though it wasn't steep!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    rarely. i go by my.clothing and waist and bust size. my juniors.size 3 skirt.is fitting snug this weekend...so im cutting this.week till its lose

I think going by measurements can make a lot of sense, but at least for women who cycle there's going to be some fluctuation there too (what is often called "bloating.") In this case you just might be able to see and feel in your clothes the extra water retention that would show up on the scale, too, that will go away on its own at a different part in your cycle regardless of what you do. This effect might even be more noticeable if you tend to wear very fitted clothing. Just something to consider - one bad fit is one bad fit, but if you try it on again in a week it might very well not be snug anymore.

Speaking of cycles, I'm happy because for the first time today the Libra app is convinced my weight is trending downward and not up - I think I just started the daily weigh ins at a bad time for that. It was driving me bonkers to see that trend line going up, even though it wasn't steep!

Going by measurements would never work for me. I like comfortable stretchy or roomy clothes, so it can take a lot for them to start feeling uncomfortable.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member

Going by measurements would never work for me. I like comfortable stretchy or roomy clothes, so it can take a lot for them to start feeling uncomfortable.

Yes, I wear mostly skirts and dresses, which tend to be more accommodating, too. I have a few pairs of jeans which I pulled out now that we have cooler temperatures here and I was shocked at how they fit (in a good way! Two pair went straight to my donation box!) I do document trends over time by using measuring tape (typically every other week) but even there I notice little fluctuations in my waist and bust in particular depending on when it is. But over time, the measurements go down which is what I want. If I suddenly bump up a quarter inch or even half I might be a tad disappointed, but by the next time it probably won't be like that.

I suppose that's what the advantage of daily weighing is - you don't let one data point work you up, because it's all about trends over time. More data points can make that clear. I don't measure every day because those numbers change so much more slowly. But weight is a bit more precise than that.
  • rosiekin
    rosiekin Posts: 78 Member
    I know I’m in the minority on MFP, but I haven’t weighed myself since April 2018. During my weight loss journey, I weighed monthly, and I kept that up during the first year of maintenance. For the next 3 years I weighed annually, stopping altogether in 2018. I am sometimes tempted to jump on the scales, especially like now when I think I’ve dropped a few pounds due to increased exercise, but I’m resisting temptation. I don’t want a number on a scale to have the power to disappoint or elate me! However, I accept that most people on MFP seem to have a much healthier relationship with the scales than I ever had, so each to their own!
  • lnagrsia
    lnagrsia Posts: 31 Member
    I've been in maintenance for several years as well. I weigh myself about twice a week. Because I log my food, I know which way my weight ought to be going based on how I've been eating. I check to see if I am losing or gaining beyond what I expect. If the gain or loss is more than I expect, I'll do it again the next day to see if it's valid. I don't weigh after hard workouts or salty meals or if I've been constipated for a couple of days. No point in torturing myself.

Every morning, naked, after going to the bathroom and before consuming anything.
  • soldodunja2910
    soldodunja2910 Posts: 16 Member
    edited April 2022
    I usually weigh myself in the morning and sometimes at noon sometimes before bed. I just want to be prepared to make changes if I see the scale going up, because being overweight is a problem I don’t need cause life is stressful enough.