Old Fashioned

So, my DH has decided I am a throwback to a previous generation. I will use the broom to sweep my kitchen instead of the vacuum. I hang my clothes out to dry on my reel-in clothes line. I scrub my dish towels, dish cloths, and cleaning cloths on a scrub board. When we used to burn firewood for heat I used the sledge & wedge to split the logs. And I enjoy it. I bake bread from scratch. I can food from the garden. Making sauerkraut and apple butter are regular fall rituals.

Anyone else out there prefer the "old" ways?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    LeeH31 wrote: »
    So, my DH has decided I am a throwback to a previous generation. I will use the broom to sweep my kitchen instead of the vacuum. I hang my clothes out to dry on my reel-in clothes line. I scrub my dish towels, dish cloths, and cleaning cloths on a scrub board. When we used to burn firewood for heat I used the sledge & wedge to split the logs. And I enjoy it. I bake bread from scratch. I can food from the garden. Making sauerkraut and apple butter are regular fall rituals.

My mom does or used to do everything on your list but using the scrub board. Although someone used to - I remember seeing one at her place, which was formerly my grandfather's, and before that was owned by a family for 100 years who left many items behind when they moved. I used to play with skirts with hoops when I was little.

My partner and I are moving in with her (and my brother) next month and are modernizing:
    • Adding a dryer
    • Adding heat to 4 rooms
    • Adding central AC upstairs
    • Adding ductless split AC units downstairs
    • Complete renovation of the former big living room

I do like using the clothesline seasonally, but want to have a dryer as a backup, and fall - early spring.

She now gets wood cut and split, but back in the 70s we got logs, which she cut, my father split, and my brother and I stacked.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    I do use some modern appliances but in general, yes, I prefer an older and slower way of living - even if it means more work for some things. I especially like cooking and baking from scratch. This year is the first year I actually canned - I had done refrigerator pickles and freezer jam before but nothing that could be stored at room temperature. It was fun and very satisfying!

I'm very lucky in that I can walk most anywhere I really need to go, too. When I have to drive I find it annoying now. 😅
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    LeeH31 wrote: »

I assume you are in US?

Where machine drying clothes is the norm? ( and also you use the term 'fall')

Here in Australia drying clothes on the clothesline is very usual. Some people have a dryer but most still wouldn't use for all drying and many people don't own one at all.
    Broom sweeping also common for hard floors, certainly wouldn't be considered a throw back.

I'm in Italy and like you dryers are not the norm. I have a reel in clothesline. I use a broom to sweep up the kitchen, but the vacuum is used for the rest of the apartment-- our floors are marble, with some rugs.

I wash my cleaning (microfiber) cloths by hand, and cook from scratch.

Growing up on a farm, and being the only girl with 5 brothers, I am used to working like this.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Broom sweeping also common for hard floors, certainly wouldn't be considered a throw back.

Broom sweeping/mopping is the norm here (the US) for hard floors too. I've never used a vacuum for hard wood floors (which is what I have), and wouldn't have called myself oldfashioned.

I do use the dryer, however, so long as the item is dryer safe.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited September 2021
    Don't do any of that stuff at our house, but whatever floats your boat.

Don't understand a broom vs vacuum on hard floors. The vacuum sucks up the dirt, broom just moves it around with the hope you get it all picked up in a dustpan. Will use a wet Swiffer on hard floors maybe every week or 2.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,157 Member
    I only sweep the hardwood once a month or so when I mop with Murphy's oil. Otherwise it's vacuum and maybe a steam mop all the way, baby! So much quicker and I think it does a much better job on the dog hair than swishing it all around with a broom.
  • mourvedre
    mourvedre Posts: 107 Member
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Don't do any of that stuff at our house, but whatever floats your boat.

Don't understand a broom vs vacuum on hard floors. The vacuum sucks up the dirt, broom just moves it around with the hope you get it all picked up in a dustpan. Will use a wet Swiffer on hard floors maybe every week or 2.

My vacuum has a switch for carpet or hard floors. The brush roll used on the carpet can damage the finish on the floors - we have real hardwood. I do sweep in between because the vacuum is heavy (well, my kids do, but they tend to not get everything) but when I want to make sure I get every crumb, yep, it's the vacuum's job.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    Also, did anyone else think this thread was going to be about cocktails?

Me!
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,157 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I personally like conveniences in life as it allows me to do other things I would rather be doing. As an example, I have a pool and a robot cleaner for the pool. One of my boys had a soccer game last Saturday morning and it was going to be a very warm afternoon and he wanted to have friends over to swim after the game. It needed a good cleaning so before we left for the game I threw the robot into the pool and turned it on. When we arrived home 3 hours later it was done and cleaned and the kids could jump right in. My alternative would have been to spend an hour + vacuuming the pool manually and missing my boys soccer game or telling the kids they'd have to wait until later after we arrived home so that I could clean the pool.

Kids today! They have it so easy! My friends and I WERE the pool cleaners when I was a kid :D We usually had to vacuum or skim before we were allowed to swim.