What do you do with your "fat clothes"

Options

Replies

• juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    have them taken in if possible. otherwise I donated them.
  • kwinty37
    Options
    EBAY EBAY EBAY!!!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I dontate them as soon as they become unflattering. I agree with the folks who say keeping them gives you an excuse to let yourself slip back up to wearing larger sizes again!
  • surfinbernard
    Options
    Anything worth selling I sell due to the expense of needing new clothes, but I am a frugal shopper and most of it gets taken to the charity shops, only branded coats etc. are worth the bother. I think it doesn't really matter as long as you don't keep them, psychologically you are setting yourself up to fail if you keep them 'just in case' you put the weight back on!
  • MrsBlobs
    MrsBlobs Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Wear them :sad:

I will store them....or should I? Charity shop?
    I don't know, I went down in weight before, threw them all out or donated, went back up in weight and had to buy more. But by keeping them am I tempting fate...or myself? I don't know.
  • Learnin2LuvMe
    Learnin2LuvMe Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Ill either give them away,or alot of jeans,i have cut up into shorts around the house,just for the comfort,lol..Some shirts I have kept just to have for memories! :)
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I go through all of our closets a few times a year and make donations to my local Domestic Violence shelter.

This is something that is really personal to me, the reason being is they helped me out when I REALLY, REALLY needed it (place to stay, counseling, bus passes, FOOD, etc...). I had to live in one of these places with my son when he was a little guy. Yea it sucked but the best time was when the shelter received new clothes (for women AND the kids) because it was like a little shopping trip. It was a nice way to get your mind off of all the crap going on.

Many shelters will accept not only clothes, but gently used furniture, dishes, soap (body & laundry), diapers, wipes, school supplies, movies, puzzles, the list goes on and on.

I encourage all MFP'rs who are looking to get rid of their "fat" clothes (or perhaps looking for a charity to support), please consider contacting your local DV shelter and give back to your community. Thank you, there's your PSA for the day! ;)
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I saved my most gigantic pair of pants (24W) and, when I hit my goal, I posed for a picture in one leg of them (I am now in a 10). I am saving them as a reminder of how far I've come (100+ lbs gone)

Other than that, I've given all of my too-big clothes away.
  • bookworm03
    bookworm03 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    If you are not done having kids pack them away with your maternity clothes. If you are donate.
  • RuthAne
    RuthAne Posts: 130
    Options
    If they are in good condition and in season I bring them to a consignment shop. Otherwise I donate to Planet Aid.
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Whatever you decide, make sure it does involve them leaving your possession. I've dropped three or so sizes a couple times in the past and have kept the clothes packed away. This makes it way too easy to allow yourself to gain the weight back. I believe I wouldn't have gained the weight back if I didn't have the clothes buried in the closet to run to when my new clothes starting getting snug again. If I know it's either buy more new clothes or start watching what I'm eating again I'm pretty sure I'll just start watching my meals. *This* time I will donate them.

I AGREE 100%!!! Have lost the weight 3 different occasions, keeping the clothes and always gaining the weight back.

The upside to this time, is that I do have several bins of clothes that I can shrink in to without going out and buying new ones. I do treat myself to a new top every once in awhile, though.
  • BrandNewMia
    Options
    I have divied out my old clothes to a couple MFP friends, and what was left over was donated.

The first time I purged my closet, I had an anxiety attack. It's really difficult to get rid of the fat clothes, at least it was for me, they cost SO much money (Lane Bryant LOVED me and my wallet) and they were a safety blanket. But they HAD to go, I HAD to do it to make a point to myself that I was never going back.

Now I have 6 shirts that fit properly. :grumble: And like 15pairs of pants (thanks to my wonderful MFP friends that have sent ME clothes).
  • kaymd
    kaymd Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Give them to family members that may need or want them, then donate the rest. Or, in my case be thankful you didn't give
    ALL of them away and use them during pregnancy...:laugh: :wink: :smile:
  • adjones_21
    adjones_21 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    First I would offer them to my MFP friends and then I would take them to the women's shelter.
  • binariiangel
    binariiangel Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Ebay if you want to make some extra cash and it's not the season for yard sales etc. Then there's also a great website called freecycle.org that is in most cities where you can get and receive free things.
  • Nic620
    Nic620 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Some people offer them to MFP friends. Personally, I make use of them by altering them and making them brand new!

I did that with some jeans I loved before, when they got too loose and made my look heavier, I just had them taken in a bit.
  • Hootsmamma
    Hootsmamma Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I had a lot of Equine-themed shirts which I gave to a fellow Horsey-friend who is about the same size as where I started. The rest of the clothes I have put in bags to take over and donate to either St.Vincent De Paul or we have a Benedictine Monastery in our town that also has a thrift shop. (and they need clothing all the time). One pretty cool thing is that I had several Unisex T-shirts or Celtic T-shirts that now fit my husband (he is also on MFP) and As I go down and move out of a T-shirt, he goes down too and moves right in to the same shirt!
  • secostley
    secostley Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Donated mine to a rescue mission downtown.
  • riley711
    riley711 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I let my sister and niece look through first then donate to salvation army and our local battered women's shelter. I want to donate to back to work programs like dressed for success or suited to succeed, but they don't make easy or convenient for you to do this (bad hours, required to be in dry-cleaning bags, no receipts for tax purposes). Anyhoo, I try to get rid of my big clothes quickly for a couple of reasons (not in order):

1. They're too big, so they don't look good on me anymore (I looked bad at my start weight, and even worse because of the way the clothes fit - looking like a vagabond)
    2. Forces me to keep working out and watching what I eat. If I know I don't have those loose-fitting pants anymore, I know I can't slack off because I'll have nothing to wear.
    3. I love to shop!!! It is great to go shop for new outfits for special occasions and key pieces for everyday wear. I just bought some mix and match suit pieces (pants, skirts and jackets, and a couple of blouses). The sales clerk asked if I had just landed a new job. I told her no, I lost 35 pounds so I needed some clothes that fit and look good on me!!
    4. Looking forward to blessing someone else when I drop more weight and can't wear the key pieces I just bought yesterday!!!
  • narenn
    Options
    Donated a good amount. Kept a few to remind myself from where I've come.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!