How to get better at stretching?

Options
I'm 55 and I've never felt very successful at stretching. Hamstrings and back always feel tight when I do stretches recommended by PT and fitness trainers and never seem to improve.

I'm currently at week 8 of a renewed fitness/nutrition journey where I do a post-workout set of stretches 6 days a week and just not feeling stretching improvement despite great results in all other aspects (seeing definite improvements in strength, energy levels, needed weight loss).

I feel like I need either a yoga class focused on beginners and stretching or perhaps a trainer to get a more effective stretching routine established. I do better when I have someone who can watch my form and offer tips or alternative movements that fit me better. That said, perhaps a recommended Youtube video may help get me started? I feel like I'm going to have my morning workout routine and then a separate stretching routine I fit in later in the day.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    W_Stewart wrote: »
    I'm 55 and I've never felt very successful at stretching. Hamstrings and back always feel tight when I do stretches recommended by PT and fitness trainers and never seem to improve.

I'm currently at week 8 of a renewed fitness/nutrition journey where I do a post-workout set of stretches 6 days a week and just not feeling stretching improvement despite great results in all other aspects (seeing definite improvements in strength, energy levels, needed weight loss).

I feel like I need either a yoga class focused on beginners and stretching or perhaps a trainer to get a more effective stretching routine established. I do better when I have someone who can watch my form and offer tips or alternative movements that fit me better. That said, perhaps a recommended Youtube video may help get me started? I feel like I'm going to have my morning workout routine and then a separate stretching routine I fit in later in the day.
    I did the HYPERBOLIC STRETCHING program and it seemed to help. And I'm a kickboxing instructor. Can't do the splits like when I was younger, but this helped me to get close to it again.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Alinouveau2
    Alinouveau2 Posts: 6,336 Member
    Options
    Stretching is one of those things that if it doesn't come naturally you really have to work at it and not many really know how to teach it.

There's lots of youtube videos for beginner stretching. I'd try a Pilates based one if I were you but I just really love Pilates.

The thing with stretching is you need to think and envision that you are lengthening your muscles. For instance if you want to stretch your hamstrings and you're sitting on the floor most will just round their back and feel like that's stretching. To get a good stretch you need to think more if folding over and almost lifting out of your hips. I get awesome scores for the sit and reach test part of fitness tests simply because I know how to stretch...well and I've been at my entire life and I'm luckily blessed with stretch muscles
  • W_Stewart
    W_Stewart Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Yep, my back just hurts when I try to sit and stretch my hamstrings.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Just like anything in life. If you want to get better at something, do more of it. This doesn't mean force progress, but being mindful of your goal over time in the long term as well.

The feeling of "tight" might be have to do with your frequency and intensity of stretching in relation to your resistance training as well.

What would be helpful is knowing what you are trying to improve on in the stretching realm and your programming for your resistance training.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Whenever my hamstrings are tight, my back will start to hurt. And they tend to tighten up often due to cycling/spin classes. I love yoga now (I used to hate it) because it helps keep my muscles stretched and flexible.

If you're new to yoga, I highly recommend looking at the Down Dog yoga app. Each practice can be customized for skill level, time, and whatever you want to work (hamstring stretches are an option.) As you progress, you can advance to another level. Just something to think about!
  • W_Stewart
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    What would be helpful is knowing what you are trying to improve on in the stretching realm and your programming for your resistance training.

My goals are to alleviate reoccurring back pain and improve mobility. I kayak fish a lot but often end the day with tight, sore muscles. I want to add in a good stretching regiment to complement my other overall fitness improvements (strength and conditioning). I feel good with the direction I have for strength/conditioning, just need to get a plan for stretching.

@fittocycle - I'll look into that app! I am also considering the GOWOD mobility app and surprised to see it doesn't appear on a search of other posts here.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

Are you sitting on the edge of a cushion and tilting your pelvis forward?

2rkwbad6itsq.png

I just use two stacked neck pillows, but here are more ideas:

https://mellowed.com/best-meditation-cushions/

You can also stretch your hamstrings this way:

zgn5x5vanobz.png
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    I'm looking for an infographic for lower back stretches and as someone who had lower back pain for decades and is a certified yoga teacher am appalled at what I am seeing. Plow Pose - NO! Good grief...

But here is something that should be safe and gentle:

0gjhautbidtq.png

Breakdown and video in the link:

https://impactptaz.com/stretches-for-low-back-pain/
  • W_Stewart
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

2rkwbad6itsq.png

Thanks so much! Yes, I have tried (once) sitting on the edge of an exercise step and still felt like I was rounding my back. I will try it again though. I am now including the hip flexor and cat/cow stretches.

I don't think I have the flexibility to do the hamstring stretch shown. I feel like I am reaching with a rounded back, maybe because the hip is still tight? I'll keep trying it. What about facing a low wall or table, placing my foot up on it, and stretching the hamstring that way?

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,863 Member
    Options

2rkwbad6itsq.png

Thanks so much! Yes, I have tried (once) sitting on the edge of an exercise step and still felt like I was rounding my back. I will try it again though. I am now including the hip flexor and cat/cow stretches.

I don't think I have the flexibility to do the hamstring stretch shown. I feel like I am reaching with a rounded back, maybe because the hip is still tight? I'll keep trying it. What about facing a low wall or table, placing my foot up on it, and stretching the hamstring that way?

Perhaps I'm not accurately realizing where the problem lies for you, but would it help to use a yoga strap (or belt, whatever) to loop around your leg, if reaching behind your knee with your hands is too difficult at this point?
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,913 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for an infographic for lower back stretches and as someone who had lower back pain for decades and is a certified yoga teacher am appalled at what I am seeing. Plow Pose - NO! Good grief...

But here is something that should be safe and gentle:

0gjhautbidtq.png

Breakdown and video in the link:

https://impactptaz.com/stretches-for-low-back-pain/

I’m curious. Are you saying not to use plow for back pain?

That’s my go-to position for lower back. My favorite for low back is to do plow with feet pushing as hard as I can against a wall so I can get “reverse” pressure against my low back and tailbone. I often do shivasana in plow or a kind of loose and floppy deaf man’s. I’ve stopped caring what other people think. It feels so relaxing to me.

I’m weird, I guess. I realized just today while doing it that that’s how I used to be as a child. I drove my parents bats “sitting” upside down on sofas with head dangling down and feet up in the air. Funny how stuff cycles around.

Anyway, OP, I began stretching years ago simply by blocking off time and thinking what parts of my body needed stretching and doing what came intuitively.

After a few basic free yoga classes at Kaiser (and god bless them for offering those-with a stellar instructor- and starting me on my yoga journey) I incorporated a few things I learned there along with simple slow breathing. It became pet-pet time for my dachshunds which increased the relaxation for me and they loved it, of course.

Try some basic yoga classes, or see if you have a local studio that offers Yin style yoga classes. They are a slow stretching variety of yoga, where you generally hold a pose 3-5 minutes and relax/breath into the pose.

Warm or hot classes can help loosen muscles to increase stretch, but on the flip side, can sometimes cause folks to stretch further than they really ought, and create pain or injury if pushed too far.

I am far more flexible now than I was even a couple of years ago. And won’t lie, losing weight has helped tremendously. No fat rolls to shift out of the way or get in the way of a stretch.
  • age_is_just_a_number
    Options
    Stretching with warm muscles (after your workout) in good form helps with stretching.
    I like Mark Wildman from wildman athletica. He has a series of 6 cool down stretches that you hold for 2-4 minutes each.