Yogurt Advice

I am doing research into yogurt. I love eating yogurt with breakfast. I used to eat this particular kind, Stonyfield Organic Yogurt, but now the store has stopped carrying my top favorite flavors. :'(

So, now I'm forced to look elsewhere. I have started getting Greek Yogurt. The new kind I've been getting is not low-fat.

The new kind I've been getting is Oikos Greek Yogurt Blended Lemon Meringue and Key Lime flavored mostly.

Any suggestions of low-fat, healthy options similar to this would be great.

Thanks.

Replies

• wainscotte
    wainscotte Posts: 4 Member
    I buy non-fat, plain Greek yogurt (Fage, Chobani, or Trader Joe's brand) and then add my own fruit to it.

I usually get a bag of frozen berries and leave a small portion in the fridge overnight to thaw out, then mix it with my yogurt in the morning.

If you only like citrus flavors, though, I'm not sure of the best way to incorporate that.

There's nothing "unhealthy" about what you're currently eating. Fat is not unhealthy...I just buy the non-fat because it's lower in calories and still tasty to me. Just eat what you like.

Okay, thanks for the tips.
  • crystaltyson
    crystaltyson Posts: 2 Member
    Also I microwave my fresh blueberries for about 20 to 30 seconds to get a blueberry sauce to pour over my greek low-fat yogurt it great visual as well as taste.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Also I microwave my fresh blueberries for about 20 to 30 seconds to get a blueberry sauce to pour over my greek low-fat yogurt it great visual as well as taste.

Sounds yummy. My blueberries are frozen (I get about 15 lb. in the summer when available at the U-pick farms) and I don't wash them before freezing so I have to wash them before eating. A few seconds under warm water usually defrosts them enough.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,062 Member
    I concur with @SuzySunshine99 - buy plain of what you like as a base, then flavor it up yourself. I tend to prefer Stoneyfield myself. I buy it by 32oz at a time, and use it for eating, a base for sauces and marinades and salad dressings. Here's something I made last night - Indian-style baked chicken breast, using a spicy yogurt marinade. That plate is 990 cals, 64g protein, 33g fat, 110g carb per MFP. I don't often use yogurt for breakfast - my usual dairy in daily oatmeal is plain whey powder (but I have used plain yogurt), but I sometimes use a little yogurt - with fruit that I add, as an evening's dessert rather than ice cream or something more calorific. You know, when a little something is desired. Because I use the yogurt as a culinary ingredient and not just for eating, I get full fat or low fat, but never non-fat, and just pay attention to my daily macros for my fats budget. I find most brands to be similar, sometimes get generic/store brand or Cabot if Stoneyfield isn't available.

wi0zbcvwswan.jpg
  • ehju0901
    ehju0901 Posts: 350 Member
    I really like the Dannon (?) Light + Fit brand. It's not as thick as your typical greek yogurt but the flavor is good.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    One thing I've really enjoyed with Greek yogurt is using it with savory flavors instead of just with fruit, if you're interested in experimenting a little. It can usually pretty easily be subbed in for mayo or sour cream in recipes and still gives a nice texture. I like mixing it with a bit of garlic, onion, parsley or basil, lemon juice, and salt and pepper for a veggie dip.

I have also used it to increase the protein in my baked oatmeal recipe, in place of some of the milk (I don't know if it would work to do all.)
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,344 Member
    Lidl has great low fat Greek yogurt and it’s usually about $1.74 a large container, if memory serves. It’s a small fraction of what the Chobani costs, which is probably why it sells out so fast. I usually buy two or three extra containers. ( We go through a ton of Greek yogurt. )
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    edited October 2021
    Lidl has great low fat Greek yogurt and it’s usually about $1.74 a large container, if memory serves. It’s a small fraction of what the Chobani costs, which is probably why it sells out so fast. I usually buy two or three extra containers. ( We go through a ton of Greek yogurt. )

Nice! I think I need to start buying mine at Costco to get a better deal.

Even the store brand here (Kroger), is $4.99 for a 32-oz container, the same price as Chobani. Fage is a little more, $5.99. One of them is usually on sale though, for $3.50 or $3.99 sometimes.

I forget how much it is at Trader Joe's, but it's less than either of those two (still not as cheap as yours).

EDIT: Doesn't look like Costco carries plain greek yogurt anymore, just Chobani individual fruit-on-the-bottom cups. They used to have large containers of Fage. Boo.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    I make my own yogurt... so no help here. But if I may ask a question: Doesn't eating non-fat yogurt defeat the whole purpose of eating yogurt because it doesn't support the beneficial little critters?
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    MsCzar wrote: »
    I make my own yogurt... so no help here. But if I may ask a question: Doesn't eating non-fat yogurt defeat the whole purpose of eating yogurt because it doesn't support the beneficial little critters?

I eat yogurt for the protein, not the "critters", but my non-fat yogurt does have active cultures.
    They live off the sugar in the milk, not the fat.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    ^ Thanks.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,722 Member

Nice! I think I need to start buying mine at Costco to get a better deal.

Even the store brand here (Kroger), is $4.99 for a 32-oz container, the same price as Chobani. Fage is a little more, $5.99. One of them is usually on sale though, for $3.50 or $3.99 sometimes.

I forget how much it is at Trader Joe's, but it's less than either of those two (still not as cheap as yours).

EDIT: Doesn't look like Costco carries plain greek yogurt anymore, just Chobani individual fruit-on-the-bottom cups. They used to have large containers of Fage. Boo.

Costco here consistently has 48oz tubs of their Kirkland Organic Nonfat Plain Greek Yogurt. It's good.

I eat it daily, with thawed frozen berries (in my oatmeal); mixed with chocolate peanut butter powder and still-frozen berries as a dessert-y thing; as a sour cream analog on top of tostadas or the like, or on things like black bean soup; put it in macaroni and cheese (with red lentil pasta, veggies, calorie-efficient cheese); use it to make salad dressings (with salt, herbs, whatever); use it when I make deviled eggs or egg salad instead of mayo; . . . .
  • paints5555
    paints5555 Posts: 1,228 Member
    If you have an Aldi near you, their plain Greek yogurt is about $3.79 for a 32 oz container every day. Price may vary in some areas but I buy theirs regularly.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,344 Member
    Our Costco doesn’t carry nonfat.

😡
  • ldaltonbishop
    ldaltonbishop Posts: 95 Member
    I made a pretty decent lemon curd with erythritol awhile back. It would work with key lime juice just as well, and a dollop of that stirred into plain yogurt might approximate the lemon meringue or key lime flavor. It kept a long time in the refrigerator.

This is the recipe I used (I think): https://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/keto-lemon-curd/
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    One tip for flavoring your own yogurt is cooking extracts. I add vanilla, hazelnut, almond, or orange extract to mine before mixing in berries. Lemon or orange zest is another great additive which packs a lot of flavor without sweetener.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    I bought Stonyfield yogurt for years and would have continued doing so but Cabot has similar corporate values (although is not certified organic) and is several dollars cheaper for the 32 oz Greek. They have non-fat, low fat, and full fat. I get the low fat vanilla. Mom gets the full fat plain.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »
    I concur with @SuzySunshine99 - buy plain of what you like as a base, then flavor it up yourself. I tend to prefer Stoneyfield myself. I buy it by 32oz at a time, and use it for eating, a base for sauces and marinades and salad dressings. Here's something I made last night - Indian-style baked chicken breast, using a spicy yogurt marinade. That plate is 990 cals, 64g protein, 33g fat, 110g carb per MFP. I don't often use yogurt for breakfast - my usual dairy in daily oatmeal is plain whey powder (but I have used plain yogurt), but I sometimes use a little yogurt - with fruit that I add, as an evening's dessert rather than ice cream or something more calorific. You know, when a little something is desired. Because I use the yogurt as a culinary ingredient and not just for eating, I get full fat or low fat, but never non-fat, and just pay attention to my daily macros for my fats budget. I find most brands to be similar, sometimes get generic/store brand or Cabot if Stoneyfield isn't available.

wi0zbcvwswan.jpg

Yes, when cooking with yogurt, full-fat helps it not separate/curdle. You can also add 1 teaspoon of flour or cornstarch per 1 cup of yogurt.

https://oureverydaylife.com/happens-heat-up-greek-yogurt-43066.html
  • mjglantz
    mjglantz Posts: 486 Member
    I like the Oikos zero which has little added sugar. And if you go with plain @rheddmobile has great advice about adding vanilla extract or other extracts. That with some cinnamon and fruit is delicious.