Yogurt Advice

2»

Replies

• Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    MsCzar wrote: »
    I make my own yogurt... so no help here. But if I may ask a question: Doesn't eating non-fat yogurt defeat the whole purpose of eating yogurt because it doesn't support the beneficial little critters?

Nope. The little critters feast on the lactose. The fat content has little effect.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    I buy non-fat, plain Greek yogurt (Fage, Chobani, or Trader Joe's brand) and then add my own fruit to it.

I usually get a bag of frozen berries and leave a small portion in the fridge overnight to thaw out, then mix it with my yogurt in the morning.

If you only like citrus flavors, though, I'm not sure of the best way to incorporate that.

There's nothing "unhealthy" about what you're currently eating. Fat is not unhealthy...I just buy the non-fat because it's lower in calories and still tasty to me. Just eat what you like.

I do the same, generally, depending on the season. I also eat yogurt in smoothies sometimes or as a side with an omelet or avocado (I usually like cottage cheese for that but plain greek yogurt works).

I think if you want citrus, adding clementines, but chopping up the pieces a bit to get some juice to mix in the yogurt might work. Never tried it, but it seems appealing.

If the cals and macros of what you are eating (the full fat flavored options) fit in your day, however, and are filling for you, I see no problem with them.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,062 Member
    MsCzar wrote: »
    I make my own yogurt... so no help here. But if I may ask a question: Doesn't eating non-fat yogurt defeat the whole purpose of eating yogurt because it doesn't support the beneficial little critters?

I occasionally get ambitious and make my own, but pretty much find the convenience of store-bought to be too good. Doesn't apply to bread, though, as I bake about 80-90% of our breads, so it isn't a lack of "doing-it-at-homeness" attitude, just being selective. I even have a flour mill to grind my own when the mood hits.

I was under the impression that fat content, per se, doesn't impact the culture growth - it's sugars. Looks like it's time to do some googling around ...
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    wainscotte wrote: »
    I am doing research into yogurt. I love eating yogurt with breakfast. I used to eat this particular kind, Stonyfield Organic Yogurt, but now the store has stopped carrying my top favorite flavors. :'(

So, now I'm forced to look elsewhere. I have started getting Greek Yogurt. The new kind I've been getting is not low-fat.

The new kind I've been getting is Oikos Greek Yogurt Blended Lemon Meringue and Key Lime flavored mostly.

Any suggestions of low-fat, healthy options similar to this would be great.

Thanks.

Chobani makes flavored yogurts, and some that are less sugar, too. Oikos also has flavors that are sweetened with Stevia or not a ton of added sugar. Personally, I think overall the added sugar amount is something to look for more than the fat-in-dairy aspect, but since fat has more than double the calories per gram than sugar. So, I can see how for weight loss low/nonfat options might seem better.

I'm also someone who puts fruit of some kind on plain nonfat Greek yogurt and 1/2 t of honey. I sometimes add a bit of lower sugar granola for some crunch and a bit of fat.
  • RFjelly
    RFjelly Posts: 2 Member
    The best breakfast yogurt I've found isn't yogurt actually. It's qwark cheese 0% fat: more protein, less fat, very similar texture to greek (even creamier actually) and doesn't have such a pronounced acidic tinge in the tongue.

I'll typically sweeten it a bit with either honey, creamy peanut butter or, lately, ON Premium double chocolate protein powder as I've been having troubles keeping up with protein intake on 1500 calorie/day.

Top off with a few grams of muesli (I don't like oats) and some berries.

l2lzrqsaljra.png

rsh4iz8n9y9k.png

c1kyyhxr0623.png
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Dannon Light and Fit. It's tasty, and just 80 calories with 12g of protein. My favorite flavors are the strawberry banana and coconut.

greek-yogurt-strawberry-banana.png
  • Priasmama416
    Priasmama416 Posts: 103 Member
    I love danon light n fit Greek yogurt. High protein, low sugar and fat, great taste. They have alot of good flavors, but favorites are key lime, strawberry cheesecake, and tiramisu.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Siggis Skyr is similar to Greek yogurt in that it is high in protein and lower in sugar. Those are my go to when I need a high protein snack.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,341 Member
    RFjelly wrote: »
    The best breakfast yogurt I've found isn't yogurt actually. It's qwark cheese 0% fat: more protein, less fat, very similar texture to greek (even creamier actually) and doesn't have such a pronounced acidic tinge in the tongue.

I'll typically sweeten it a bit with either honey, creamy peanut butter or, lately, ON Premium double chocolate protein powder as I've been having troubles keeping up with protein intake on 1500 calorie/day.

l2lzrqsaljra.png

rsh4iz8n9y9k.png

c1kyyhxr0623.png

If you’re getting Driscoll’s strawberries, you’re in the USA. Where the heck are you finding qwark?
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member

l2lzrqsaljra.png

rsh4iz8n9y9k.png

c1kyyhxr0623.png

If you’re getting Driscoll’s strawberries, you’re in the USA. Where the heck are you finding qwark?

He could just be using the Driscoll's entry for fresh strawberries...
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,341 Member
    ccrdragon wrote: »

l2lzrqsaljra.png

rsh4iz8n9y9k.png

c1kyyhxr0623.png

He could just be using the Driscoll's entry for fresh strawberries...

I’m an optimist?
  • paints5555
    paints5555 Posts: 1,228 Member
    edited October 2021
  • RFjelly
    RFjelly Posts: 2 Member

Driscoll's is also marketed in the EU, I get them through Lidl supermarkets, though the berries are our own (Portuguese).