How often do you weigh?

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    How often do you think you should weigh yourself? I weigh usually in the morning and before I have eaten anything every second day or so. The thing that sucks is that the weight fluctuates and sometimes it has gone up for no apparent reason.

Weight fluctuations are completely normal. Your body is comprised of anywhere from roughly 55%-65% water and that will always be variable per hydration, dehydration, hormones, etc. You will also always have variable degrees of inherent waste in your system. Water and waste have mass and thus weight...the scale doesn't just weigh fat mass. It's everything in your body...blood, water, waste, bones, muscle, fat, etc.

Bodyweight isn't a static figure. Nobody weighs exactly XXX Lbs all of the time. When you get to maintenance, you will see that you kind of have a maintenance range of weight...for myself I have an average, but I can fluctuate 2-3 Lbs up or down from that average depending on completely normal fluctuations. Sometimes they can be even larger...like if I have a really salty day or when I travel by air. Airplane bloat and water weight is very real and I've gained as much as 8 Lbs just getting on and off an airplane.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself in the morning after peeing - every morning the week my period starts, and the week following. The other 2 weeks I don't bother, because my weight is all over and up. As long as I'm somewhere within a 2-3 lb range I'm fine.
  • pnrbor
    pnrbor Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    My dietitian said that I shouldn't weigh more then once a week.
  • 200Karen
    200Karen Posts: 1,748 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Before my Wednesday weigh-in, I’m in need of a few healthy days.
    So today, it’s water and more water then, veggies and more veggies.

I have been enjoying the daily weigh-ins and
    seeing that some days the fluctuations wasn't as bad as expected.
    This has helped my nutrition relapses to end quicker. WIN WIN

Today, it's back to my healthier routines, Pickleball then tomorrow Zumba.
    I am so thankful my health is good enough to keep me moving.

Enjoy your journey,
    Karen
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I have weighed daily for years & average them every Monday for the trend. I thought it was bothering me, so I tried not weighing for the month of Sept. Basically maintained, but want to lose more, so back to daily weighing as before. I think the break was helpful to settle me down about my routine.
  • Archcurl
    Archcurl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily but use the Libra app to track fluctuations. I only update on here every so often.
  • Walkywalkerson
    Walkywalkerson Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Weekly.
    I try not to get too caught up on the number.
    It's difficult so weekly is enough for me.
    If its my time of the month or I've had a heavy weekend- I don't weigh in.
    I find it unhelpful.
  • EdgeofDesiree
    EdgeofDesiree Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily. I know that it may be harmful to some people, but it has really helped me understand day-to-day fluctuations that come from exercise, diet, and hormonal influences.
  • 200Karen
    Options
    ✔️Weekly Weigh In Average
    OOPS went up again

For My New Week
    Add extra veggies
    and extra gusto for my weekly goals

👋
    64 yrs
    5' 1”
    CW 132.4
    GW 120
  • DeesPancakes
    DeesPancakes Posts: 10 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Weekly would be fine. Understand that fluctuations are normal (both up&down ticks) but as long as the graph continues in an overall downward slope, you'll be fine
  • tolvinle
    tolvinle Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I also weigh daily - first thing in the morning after going pee. It helps me to really see the trends (up or down). It acts as some accountability which works for me. When I'm not weighing daily I start to feel anxious that I'm going off the rails, even if I'm still tracking food and activity and doing well.
  • Eltriste73
    Eltriste73 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Every morning before shower (after gym session) It helps me keep track of progress or lack thereof
  • Butt_Snorkeler
    Butt_Snorkeler Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Every 3 days seems like enough time for me to see promising results while starting out. Will change to once a week once I'm starting to slow down
  • 200Karen
    Options
    Yesterday was a Sodium overload 🧂 🧂

Today Counting grams with a hopefully better WI tomorrow

• 200Karen
    Options
    counting sodium for the rest of the week❤️

yesterday's daily nutrition goals were ALL met
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,862 Member
    Options
    You can tell my mindset by the frequency of my weighing. When my focus is good and on health, then my weighing is daily. As soon as it shifts away from that, then trouble is brewing. I have been weighing less than once a week lately......... turning that around now!
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily- it helps me to see the ups and downs then I do a weekly average and chart that-- as long as its going down I am fine!
  • 200Karen
    Options
    Great WI <3
    one day of lowered sodium has stopped my weight gain

For this week
    I’m Committing to sodium tracking