which are the best supplements for toning and definition?

Options

Replies

• Beccalouise09
    Beccalouise09 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    What’s your training look like? That’s the thing that will tone and define your muscles. Supplementation isn’t needed at all.

I've been going to the gym and using everything except for the pull up machine, so that's pulldown, row or rear deltoid, bicep curls and hip abduction, tricep extension and press machines, leg extension and press machines and the chest press. I also use the Smith machine, bike and cross trainer. I even have been starting to do push ups and sit ups in the mornings.

I keep Sundays as a resting day.
  • Beccalouise09
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Supplements don't tone you. Toning means having visible muscles. That means you need to build muscle. Which means doing strength training. If you have a large amount of bodyfat you might not appear muscular because the fat covers them. So you need to lose weight, which requires a calorie deficit. None of those supplements can do any of those things for you.

They've been making things a lot easier, and the gel and cream has been helping me keep a slim stomach so I'm not sure if I'm going the right way about things. Maybe I need to cut out the powders? But then I won't be able to have my protein shake of peanut butter powder, whey protein and chocolate bar blend...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Supplements supplement areas of your diet that you may be deficient in. They don't do anything magical. Nothing wrong with supplementation and many supplement protein to help the hit their protein targets...but you can literally do the same thing as eating chicken or beef or whatever...there's nothing magical about a protein shake.

Your muscles grow when you work them and being "toned" is simply a matter of being lean enough for good definition. For your stated goals, an actual structured lifting program is going to benefit you more than all of the supplementation in the world. What you currently list for your workout is inefficient and is just going to leave you spinning your wheels.
  • Beccalouise09
    edited October 2021
    Options
    thank you for all the suggestions everyone, I am still not sure of what to do... I am considering in using a protein powder for making a protein shake but i'm not sure which of the three that I have said about would be ideal for keeping? I am lost. as for the cream and gel, i am not sure whether to keep going with them or not.

I am under a lot of financial trouble, so getting a personal trainer will not be possible.

I just do not know what is best. I am finding the gel and cream is benefiting me a lot; i've noticed my stomach and waist are much slimmer since using them, so maybe it does work personally for me. But the protein powders, I am not sure of, im needing some advice here in this aspect. After reading back over all of your replies, I have chosen to stick with whey protein, the gel and the cream but cut out bcaa and pre workout.
  • Beccalouise09
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    BCAAs are completely a waste. Literally zero benefit.

The pre-workout isn't dosed right, especially since the primary benefits of a pre-workout are in the caffeine, but also the Citrulline Malate at 6-8g or L-Citrulline at 4-6g, and Beta Alanine at 2.5-3.2g. and ON doesn't hit the mark.

Unless either creams use Yohimbine, then it's not supporting fat loss. Topical Yohimbine can help with fat loss but it has to be cycled and can have really bad side effects. Its even more problematic because most companies don't dose or ever dose. So its not a good supplement to use.

And protein on! I use protein supplements to make milkshakes every night. I don't need the extra protein but i like the fullness.

baetieccttrf.jpg

And in the end, nothing beats a well structured lifting routine.

what would you suggest for protein shakes? You sure sound like you know your stuff :smile: from the powders I have included in link and screenshot, what do you think? I mean, I use the whey with a broken down chocolate bar and PB peanut butter powder, its a well lush shake. but i got to admit, the bcaa and the pre workout just gives an energy booster.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options

The pre-workout isn't dosed right, especially since the primary benefits of a pre-workout are in the caffeine, but also the Citrulline Malate at 6-8g or L-Citrulline at 4-6g, and Beta Alanine at 2.5-3.2g. and ON doesn't hit the mark.

Unless either creams use Yohimbine, then it's not supporting fat loss. Topical Yohimbine can help with fat loss but it has to be cycled and can have really bad side effects. Its even more problematic because most companies don't dose or ever dose. So its not a good supplement to use.

And protein on! I use protein supplements to make milkshakes every night. I don't need the extra protein but i like the fullness.

baetieccttrf.jpg

what would you suggest for protein shakes? You sure sound like you know your stuff :smile: from the powders I have included in link and screenshot, what do you think? I mean, I use the whey with a broken down chocolate bar and PB peanut butter powder, its a well lush shake. but i got to admit, the bcaa and the pre workout just gives an energy booster.

Your preworkout contains 175 mg of caffeine. Many cheaper ways to get caffeine ;)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

baetieccttrf.jpg

The protein shake is fine if you account for the calories. Mine is a 1 scoop whey/casein mix, 50g greek yogurt, 3 tbsp sweetener, 1 cup ice, 3 g xantham gum and some times 5g unsweetened cocoa powder.

From a person who uses a pre-workout, its highly unnecessary for the majority of people. If you are at a point where you are lean, you hit your calories and protein targets and timed nutrients around hour workout, and then still need energy, then a pre-workout would be beneficial.

If BCAAs give you energy, its placebo. If you take it with the pre-workout, its the pre-workout caffeine giving you energy.

The threads Ann linked are started by me.
  • Beccalouise09
    Options

baetieccttrf.jpg

The protein shake is fine if you account for the calories. Mine is a 1 scoop whey/casein mix, 50g greek yogurt, 3 tbsp sweetener, 1 cup ice, 3 g xantham gum and some times 5g unsweetened cocoa powder.

From a person who uses a pre-workout, its highly unnecessary for the majority of people. If you are at a point where you are lean, you hit your calories and protein targets and timed nutrients around hour workout, and then still need energy, then a pre-workout would be beneficial.

If BCAAs give you energy, its placebo. If you take it with the pre-workout, its the pre-workout caffeine giving you energy.

I am already slim and lean so I should ditch the pre workout, so I thank you. Damn I'm so stupid.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

baetieccttrf.jpg

I am already slim and lean so I should ditch the pre workout, so I thank you. Damn I'm so stupid.

If you want a pre-workout, I'd recommend a better one, like Prekaged by Kaged Muscle, Legion Athletics, Outworked, Redcon Total War, Genius Pre-workout, or Cutler Nutrition. They are all adequately dosed. I am currently running Legions non caffeinated (i am a habitual caffeine drinker, so I don't need anymore).

The bigger things to worry about is your workout program and goals. So what are your goals and do you lift, and if so, what is your program?
  • Beccalouise09
    Options

baetieccttrf.jpg

If you want a pre-workout, I'd recommend a better one, like Prekaged by Kaged Muscle, Legion Athletics, Outworked, Redcon Total War, Genius Pre-workout, or Cutler Nutrition. They are all adequately dosed. I am currently running Legions non caffeinated (i am a habitual caffeine drinker, so I don't need anymore).

The bigger things to worry about is your workout program and goals. So what are your goals and do you lift, and if so, what is your program?

I'm just wanting to tone up, define a bit and maintain my weight really. I cannot pay out on stuff like the brands you're on about, they sound higher priced. Maybe I should stick with the whey protein and be done with it? I know this might make me seem pathetic and bone idol... with my finances the way they are I won't be able to keep up with buying so much.

I go to the gym three times a week but I've been going everyday except Sundays last week. Then started doing things from home like corepower sit up and push up regime with yoga and a bit of weight training. I'm just doing full body workouts. I do my own thing which I've found personally works 🙂