Does squash count as water??

Options

Replies

• jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    By squash she means water plus a flavouring - kind of like crystal light in America I guess.

As a fellow UK person (Hi, by the way) I'd say that squash counts as it's a drink, however you need to log the calories which can seriously mount up!

Squash can also mean a vegetable which is why someone commented about watermelon :laugh:

Thanks for clarifying! Sorry Jade, I thought for a minute there you were a little crazy, but in fact, we are much the same because I too dislike water. I drink it with Propel Zero. Haunt been able to change that...yet:)
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    By squash she means water plus a flavouring - kind of like crystal light in America I guess.

As a fellow UK person (Hi, by the way) I'd say that squash counts as it's a drink, however you need to log the calories which can seriously mount up!

Squash can also mean a vegetable which is why someone commented about watermelon :laugh:

Thank you for explaining this...I kept thinking, "surely this is a joke"!
  • marquesajen
    Options
    Try herbal tea that is fruity with some honey, that's how I got to drink more water. I also drink my water ice cold and when I'm done working out end up drinking 2 or 3 glasses in a row. It might take getting used to. Good luck!
  • laurad1406
    Options

LOL being American, I was VERY confused by this post hahaha. Thank you, I'm still ignorant to some of the double meanings I come across on here :smile:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I would say yes.
  • ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Does it hydrate you? Yes.

Your stomach doesn't have a magic pocket that separates water from water mixed with something else and it really can't tell the difference.

It's pretty obvious when you think about it.

Consider squash is 25ml concentrate and 225ml water.

You either mix it in the cup or in the stomach. Your stomach can't tell the difference.

Edit to note that most Americans here will probably think you mean the vegetable when you say "squash." :smile:

I did, I thought they were just being funny.

I only count water as water, not tea, not diet drinks, water=water
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    No Carbonation, No Cafeine, No Sugar = Water

So if it meets those criterias then count it as water!!!

Enjoy your "SQUASH"!
  • MsFitnFabulous
    MsFitnFabulous Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Ironically I'm having squash for dinner. Per answers.com it's a fruit because of the seeds.
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    fitforeveragain..I'm with you. i was thinging gourd..vegetable..solid. who knew?
  • Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Check out Volumetrics, which is a diet based on filling up with lower calorie dense foods with high water content. Soup is better than popcorn. Squash is better than steak. (Squash--like zucchini or spaghetti squash, not honeydew or watermelon.) Turn casseroles into soups, etc. That's really the only way I know of getting around it, but it's just easier to drink water.
  • Jade1x
    Jade1x Posts: 166
    Options
    Check out Volumetrics, which is a diet based on filling up with lower calorie dense foods with high water content. Soup is better than popcorn. Squash is better than steak. (Squash--like zucchini or spaghetti squash, not honeydew or watermelon.) Turn casseroles into soups, etc. That's really the only way I know of getting around it, but it's just easier to drink water.

I think people are miss understanding me im on about robinsons fruit squash what you add to water??
  • cmiles23
    cmiles23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options

I THINK HONEYDEW AND WATERMELON ARE CONSIDERED "MELONS" ............
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I would say yes.
    I would say no.
  • Contrarian
    Options
    I would say yes.
    I would say no.

Why? If it is well diluted and is the sugar-free squash, I think it counts.
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Of course it does...I usually call the manufacturer of all the food I eat and ask them how much water is in each serving of their product and log that in also...lol. Just joking y'all.
  • Qarol
    Options
    I would say yes.
    I would say no.
    I simply disagree. *wink*
    I don't count anything but water in my water tracker. It would count for general hydration, though.
  • Contrarian
    Options
    I would say yes.
    I would say no.
    I don't count anything but water in my water tracker. It would count for general hydration, though.

Fair enough. I always put lemon or a tiny bit of Crystal Light in my water so if I didn't count it, I wouldn't be drinking water at all.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Only you Brits would name a flavored drink mix after a large gourd-like vegetable!!! I'm a relatively intelligent person, and I was baffled for a minute.

RIGHT? Me too.
  • Qarol
    Options
    I would say yes.
    I would say no.
    Fair enough. I always put lemon or a tiny bit of Crystal Light in my water so if I didn't count it, I wouldn't be drinking water at all.
    We should be the poster children for how to disagree...
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I would say yes.
    I would say no.

Me too. I double count water and water mixed with things - it goes in my water and food log. The water I mix with my protein shakes ABSOLUTELY gets counted as water. It IS water after all.

Before MFP I would sometimes go two days without having a glass of ANYTHING - so for me to drink anything is an improvement. Everyone's journey is their own.