Nocturnal Leg Cramps

Options
I am not looking for diagnosis OR medical advice, per se but I AM looking for anecdotal advice.

For those who have a tendency towards nocturnal leg cramps, is there anything you do to either prevent them or make them go away more quickly? The last couple of weeks has been really bad where I get cramps 1 in 3 nights instead of a few times a year. These are more than the basic charley horse that I can stretch out without even waking up, these are full leg deep muscle cramps where stretching one out in the calf causes the shin and top of the foot to cramp. The worst are the ones in the upper, inner thigh where the only thing I can do is stand bent at a 90° angle with my feet apart and rock side to side (good thing I have a tall bed with extra thick mattress).

Yes, I have consulted my PCP and have been tested for the usual suspects
Yes, I stay hydrated even though it means getting up once or twice in the night
Yes, I am T2Dm and know I am likely to get them if I eat more than my usual number of carbs (150g per day is my target)

I am looking for practical ideas to prevent or stave them off. Things that have been suggested are a hot bath before bed, drink tonic water in the evening, weighted blankets over the lower half of my body when sleeping. Has anyone had success with these or other things?

Replies

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Supposedly magnesium helps although I tried it when pregnant and am not sure if it helps. You can give it a try and also stretch before bedtime and use heat on your muscles at bedtime.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    People have reported relief from leg cramps at night by putting a bar of soap under the bottom sheet at the end of the bed. Even if doctors consider it placebo effect, if it helps, it helps! You could try that, or at least look up some articles about it.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    My mother and I both have this. My mother's doctor suggested Calcium+D3 and it's helped us both.

I use Citracal Petites and take one pill (half a dose) mid-morning and one pill mid-afternoon. If I skip the second dose or take it too many hours before bedtime, I'm prone to have at least mild cramping that night.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I guess I should have elaborated when I said I have been tested for the "usual subjects". Yes, I do take potassium and magnesium per my Dr's recommendation.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    People have reported relief from leg cramps at night by putting a bar of soap under the bottom sheet at the end of the bed. Even if doctors consider it placebo effect, if it helps, it helps! You could try that, or at least look up some articles about it.

The SO's dad swears by that trick.

My grandmother, who was hypothyroid, drank tonic water for her leg cramps. Apparently the quinine is the magic ingredient.
  • earlnabby
    edited October 2021
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    vivmom2014 wrote: »

The SO's dad swears by that trick.

My grandmother, who was hypothyroid, drank tonic water for her leg cramps. Apparently the quinine is the magic ingredient.

My SIL swears by tonic water for her restless leg syndrome, which is similar to nocturnal cramps. In both, the nerves send signals to the muscles to do something not normal.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    My mother and I both have this. My mother's doctor suggested Calcium+D3 and it's helped us both.

I use Citracal Petites and take one pill (half a dose) mid-morning and one pill mid-afternoon. If I skip the second dose or take it too many hours before bedtime, I'm prone to have at least mild cramping that night.

My mom swears by this.
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I zero'd in on this subject! OP, yes, they can be so painful!!!! You were writing my experience, ugh. I tend to run low on Magnesium so have that covered with supplements and diet. My lower legs now have a slight tendency to swell if I stand for long periods of time, so I've bought new socks that are "diabetic" socks, they are looser around the ankles and don't constrict/leave indentations. My pants are getting looser (yay) and not so tight around the waist so they don't press on nerves in my back. I have noticed when I am way more active than usual I will get more frequent and worse cramps. They've cramped up so bad they look deformed, and I can see them ripple as they cramp. I don't have any magic bullets, but I mostly hope that eating healthy foods with lots of natural vitamins and minerals, keeping hydrated, and exercising regularly to keep my muscles toned are helping to keep them at minimum. I'm interested in what everyone else has to say, thanks for posting this.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that you are trying everything and it’s still happening. I know how painful it is. I know for myself, the usual suspects are the cause, not enough hydration, or potassium. As long as I eat a banana every day and drink enough water, I don’t get the deep muscle cramps, which I agree are quite painful and can last for several minutes. The only thing I can do is sit in a straight backed chair and let it run its course. I’ve noticed too, that I get them sometimes on days where I spend more time than usual standing and walking, and I’ve been overly tired that day. It’s not very helpful, I know, but sometimes it helps just knowing others have similar issues.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Last night is the first time in about a week that I got no cramps when sleeping (I did get a quick charley horse when stretching before getting out of bed). What was different compared to the night before which was one of the worst I have ever had? I put my heated blanket on the bed and turned it on high while I was laying in bed reading. Maybe the warmth relaxed the muscles (similar to one suggestion to take a warm bath before going to bed). I will try it again tonight.

It is time for the heated blanket anyway. I live in the US Great Lakes region where we have cold, snowy winters and we are close to getting our first freeze (a few weeks after normal, which is keeping the tomatoes and eggplant growing :) ).
    . I’ve noticed too, that I get them sometimes on days where I spend more time than usual standing and walking, and I’ve been overly tired that day.

That could be why Saturday night was so horrible. I spent the day winterizing my vegetable and perennial gardens and organizing the garage. I haven't been moving much at all since last winter because of major pain in the knee. I got a cortizone shot a week ago which has increased my mobility significantly, which has also increased my activity.

• ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    When I first started losing weight and became more active I would get terrible cramps: mostly toes, top of foot, calf, and shin. So painful! And they happened several times a week. I tried all the usual things too and nothing helped. But then I tried stretching before bed. I unrolled my mat and did 30 minutes of static stretching (basically yoga....without the mental relaxation part) while watching tv. Every night. That did the trick for me and I rarely get cramps anymore, only when I've been more active than usual.
  • Alinouveau2
    Alinouveau2 Posts: 6,190 Member
    Options
    Try applying traction to relieve it. A friend told me this trick which she was told by her daughter who is a physiotherapist.

My husband gets let cramps often and this works a charm. The second one starts i grab onto his foot and pull. I suspect if you are alone you can try this yourself. My son recently had a leg crap from sitting in an awkward position and the traction worked on him

That's my two cents...traction to relieve leg muscles cramps....it works!
  • LissaMore
    LissaMore Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I’ve been getting leg cramps on and off since childhood. Salt is my remedy!! Small amount of salt on the tongue (1/2 tsp) chased by a glass of water and they are gone the rest of the night.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,425 Member
    Options
    Magnesium citrate.

Works for me. What is it @AnnPT77 always says? “n=1”?
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Yes! Sucks, doesn't it?