*Confession* I have come so far but I hold myself back with secret eating!

Options
2»

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    It comes down to....tell the truth or don't lie to yourself, something like that. If I lie to myself the foundation that I forged is weakened and the truth is diminished which then leaks out into the real world where truth is obscured and can effect performance, commitment, integrity and ultimately the validity of consciousness. Anyway, lol we do what we want most of the time without thinking about the repercussions. imo
  • russellholtslander1
    russellholtslander1 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I think all of us sabotage ourselves sometimes, or do something WE think is bad. We are our own worst critics, and something not really that bad, can make us feel ashamed... all things WE need to work out.

I think the only concern is that your shame comes from a feeling that you boyfriend is why you are ashamed.. he is very fit, so maybe you feel YOU should be AS fit. You are clearly working out, and doing pretty good.. in the photo, you have arms I would love to see on myself. I think you are proud of that, as you should be, but you feel your lower body isn't up to snuff, because women tend to store more weight there, and if you just had more willpower, you could lose another 5 lbs, and tone up that area of your body.

As personal goals, I think a person can be very strict, and hard on themselves, and it still be a healthy thing. Most of us don't do this. For example, I simply want to reach 160, and be lean. Hopefuly, with some muscle tone, but health is most important for me.

You should be doing it for yourself though, and it shouldn't matter to your boyfriend, and if YOU feel it does matter, then that is a problem. Even if you beat yourself up about the Tbsp. of p.b., you should at least do it out in the open. It sounds a lot like you THINK it would be an issue for your boyfriend.

I was skimming the posts, and I think one said something about his first wife gaining weight, and you worry he is concerned you would too. ??

So the question is.. if you somehow gained 100 lbs. would he be OK with that? You would still be you. So why would your weight matter to anyone but you? It is only 1 aspect of who you are.

If the issue is just you being hard on yourself, you can still do that, and most of us do, but be open about it, instead of secretive. Work on eating less peanut butter, if that is your goal, but do it for yourself, and do NOT feel shame or guilt, if you decide to go ahead and have some peanut butter. Disappoinment is normal, when we feel we failed at a goal, but it happens, and we just aim to do better in the future. It shouldn't have any bearing on the rest of your life, or relationships.. percieved or real.. even if you imagine your boyfrined might have an issue, you might want to clear that up, and be 100% sure, it would NOT be an issue, so whatever you feel... you know WHY you feel that way.

Good Luck. You seem to be doing well, as you said, most of the time, and look healthy, so just deal with this, and enjoy life. Even if it means a Tbsp. of peanut butter every so often.

• sheahughes
    sheahughes Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking what my goals are, I want to be fitter - I am happy if I keep to the 67-68kg I currently am (160cm high, 36 years old) (technically about 5kg to go from overweight BMI to healthy BMI) but recomp - so stronger in general, be nice to flex and show off a bit but honestly I would like to be able to get up off the floor gracefully (is it a possibility?), mount my horse without my current boing boing boing before dragging myself up in to the saddle and also run a kilometre or five straight.

Things that just require more strength and fitness than what I am currently at. Not having to do the skinny jeans dance would also be nice but I have been blessed with a lovely booty and thighs that could crush a man.

I hope I didn't hurt you with my comment regarding losing the boyfriend's weight - sometimes we can be our biggest enemy.

You really truly look fit and fiiiiiine! Hot damn, ma'am. Seriously, you are some serious strength eye-candy.
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Hey I think it's important to consider your own feelings here about secret eating - I had a major problem with this in my teens and I still do it to some extent today (although on the order of a 100cals here and there rather 1000!).

Are you hiding it from your boyfriend or from yourself? If it's from yourself (i.e you are not tracking it) then start tracking it, it will either make you realise that your minor indulgences don't actually have that big an impact and you can stop worrying about it, or you will realise that it's too frequent/too much and that it is something you might want to stop. If you are tracking it, then maybe you are just a bit hungrier than you thought and there are other things you could have to fill yourself up? I definitely have a tendency to under eat and then catch up eat with calories that could have been better spent elsewhere!

Also, eating at deficit for a long time is hard work. Diet breaks are worth considering although I know it can be hard to consider upping calories when you still want to lose fat!

If you're hiding it from your boyfriend, then that's a whole other issue which lots of people have commented on already.

Edit: don't forget hormones, stress and sleep and a whole other number of things could influence the chance that you indulge!

I agree with the post that said to focus on lifting and not on your weight. Strength is a much more positive thing to associate with and have goals around :)
  • nay0m3
    nay0m3 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    @springlering62 and @Jacq_qui I am NOT tracking this, but I diligently track otherwise (besides weekends when I typically don't track) So I am hiding this from myself....I agree I need to start getting this documented and seeing the impact. I do wonder if I need to eat more!

I am hiding it from my boyfriend, too, technically, since I am not being honest with myself and doing it when he isn't around. But it isn't him really that I am hiding from, despite what others think. It's more like I shouldn't be doing this so there is shame there from anyone, not him specifically. When I was younger, and single, I would buy a package of cookies and eat a ton and then throw the rest out because I was so disgusted with myself. I guess I have a tendency to binge at times. It is mostly around the time of my period when I get really ravenous!

@sheahughes we are the same height and I am 7 years older and a bit lighter and I am happy to help however I can if you want to connect with me! Thank you for the comments too LOL I wasn't sure what you meant by lose my boyfriend's weight..you mean dump him? LOL <3

@russellholtslander hmmm I don't think he would love me 100 pounds heavier but I also wouldn't love myself. That is not the life I want to live for myself. Not that there is anything wrong with it if that is someone's choice but for me, I love the things I am able to do by devoting time to care for my body as it is my most precious possession. I hope that makes sense.

@neanderthin Integrity. I like this. That is what this is about for me. I need to get honest and truthful and face things as they are and maybe I just want some damn peanut butter and then I just need to account for it.

Thank you all! Continuing to reflect and grow on this!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    If you know you binge around the time of your period, budget extra calories for that time - people are different but a few extra carbs can really make many people feel better. If you budget it in advance you won’t feel so out of control, and it won’t be “cheating,” just eating. I have a custom exercise entry I use for sick days, and other days when I need to eat at maintenance, so my MFP diary stays balanced and I don’t have to get scolded by an app.
  • oakster69
    oakster69 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am an engineer by trade, so linear thinking and normally based on data. It would seem to me that you should eat what you want and just honestly log it. You cant lie to yourself, and you are the only one who really cares about what you eat. How can you make good decisions if you do not have all the information. Weight monitoring and dietary intake is very much modeled like a simple machine with the fuel coming in and the energy going out. Surplus is fat supply. A deficit uses fat supply. You have a super strong handle on that to get to be where you are at now. I would suggest to eat it and log it. You know there is a psychological thing going on, how does that change if you just log it? Emotionally, that is putting it out in the open. How does that change your feelings / cravings?