Does you find it "hard" to eat your daily calories?

Replies

• TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    I have the opposite problem... sorry I can't help. :frown:
  • Mixmode
    Mixmode Posts: 332
    I am like a vampire on unhealthy food. Once I get that taste, it's never satisfied so I would just rather not eat it AT ALL. So all I can do is eat healthy stuff. Out of sight, out of mind! lol
    I'm similar. If it's in the house I'll eat it. I feel bad for my kids because I'd like to pack them a more interesting lunch, but oreos and rice crispy treats and whatever else NEVER make it through the night.

AMEN. When there, I sometimes have someone hide them cuz I won't be the crackhhead and go digging for them. Haha
  • scircle
    scircle Posts: 16 Member
    honestly it baffles me that people on a diet struggle to get their cals in, usually the problem is over eating, not under eating.

Yup, me too. It's like a bizarre way of boasting for some, I think.

Yes! Nothing like a little ego stroke on public forum.
  • jmeeej
    jmeeej Posts: 125 Member
    Exactly.

I once read a book, Body For Life, that said to eat 5-6 small meals a day to resist "beginning the starvation mode process" and I did and it worked well. Was it that one factor in the diet that did the most good (outside of what your eating)? I doubt it. But since I have read othewise about the "myth". But in the end, I am truly happier eating smaller, more frequent meals. If I wasnt, I would just eat 3 squares and follow the "calories in, calories out" belief. But in the end I do what I feel my body wants without staying with any one "method".

Since switching to a Paleo diet I no longer ever have problems with binges and crazy hunger cravings. The foods I eat fill me up more and for longer.

I have a feeling most people get mad cravings in between meals is because they are eating empty calories.

I don't expect anyone to even listen to me because I'm probably some crazy weirdo on a diet that doesn't let me eat bread......but I'm just trying to get the point across that your body is telling you you're hungry for a reason.....maybe figure out what that reason is.

......but then again I'm just a crazy engineering type of person that always has to know "why"
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    honestly it baffles me that people on a diet struggle to get their cals in, usually the problem is over eating, not under eating.

Does that make anorexia the ultimate form of bragging?

People struggle with diets in LOTS of different ways. I find it almost impossible to hit 3500ish calories while keeping my fat below 25%. I'm not bragging, I'm doing the same thing as everyone else, trying to find a balance that works for me.
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member

People struggle with diets in LOTS of different ways. I find it almost impossible to hit 3500ish calories while keeping my fat below 25%. I'm not bragging, I'm doing the same thing as everyone else, trying to find a balance that works for me.

Anorexia would be someone purposefully staying far below calories, not someone who "just can't manage" to eat 1200. And falling below 3500 (which is far above the amount for those trying to lose weight and not maintain) is not quite the same thing as not being able to eat 1200 calories.

I don't think it is bragging, I just can't imagine this ever being a problem that would require help from a forum
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    I'm not even going to get into this argument.

You can find studies to prove anything you want. Do whatever makes you happy and whatever works for you

Ha! Ha! Then why did you start it? You made me 'LoL' thanks!
  • jacksonpt

Anorexia would be someone purposefully staying far below calories, not someone who "just can't manage" to eat 1200. And falling below 3500 (which is far above the amount for those trying to lose weight and not maintain) is not quite the same thing as not being able to eat 1200 calories.

I don't think it is bragging, I just can't imagine this ever being a problem that would require help from a forum

Anorexia can cause long term changes to the way the body responds to "hunger" In some cases, the anorexic person doesn't even know they are hungry (they stop getting hunger pangs), so there is no trigger for them to eat. It is no longer a conscious decision to not eat... they have to make the conscious decision TO eat.

I'm losing weight and on a big exercise day my calorie target is roughly 3500 in order to net a healthy net total. And the net calories is what matters. So regardless of the number, the point is that some of us have a hard time making our goal (whatever that goal may be), and some have a hard time not going over.

Again, either way we are all struggling to find a healthy balance in our diets.
  • Mixmode
    Yep, Jackson.

I am trying to lose fat and gain muscle. It's a bit more complex than the average person would think.

And also...anyone can eat whatever "food" for calories.

It's more like...what do you eat that's "healthy" to get your minimum calories in while trying to stay away from unhealthy foods?
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Sometimes I come in a little under. I save most of my calories to eat later. I have a very light breakfast and then a light lunch, with a decent dinner. Then I like to eat a bunch before I go to bed. Apparently it's not the most ideal eating plan, but it works for me. And then, sometimes, I have 300 calories left but really only feel like eating a serving of rice cakes. Honestly, I just save the calories and eat more for breakfast or lunch the next day. More the next day helps to ensure the metabolism doesn't slow down from lack of food on the day before.
  • jacksonpt
    BTW... to the OP... is that Squints?
  • jmeeej

You can find studies to prove anything you want. Do whatever makes you happy and whatever works for you

Ha! Ha! Then why did you start it? You made me 'LoL' thanks!

Glad you had a laugh.

However, I never once said anything about it being a myth that it helps stabilize blood sugar levels......therefore reducing cravings. That is definitely true.

Chevy started picking the fight. Not me.

If you really want to read more......google "6 meal myth"

here is an excerpt from ASKMEN.COM
    http://www.askmen.com/sports/foodcourt_250/285_metabolism-myths.html

Eating More Frequently Will Speed Up Your Metabolism
    Another common myth is that eating more frequent meals will boost your metabolism. If you’ve ever heard someone tell you that you should eat six times a day for a faster metabolism, you’re being given misinformation.

The point to remember here is that each time you eat a meal, your metabolism increases. This increase is impacted by how large the meals higher in carbohydrates and fats).

Assuming total macronutrient composition and calorie intake stays the same over two different diets, one consisting of three meals and one of six, both diets will experience the same metabolic increases. The only difference is the individual eating six meals a day will have smaller increases six times while the other individual will have larger increases three times a day.
  • I'm with you. I'm kind of an all or nothing girl I guess and so it's never just the one cookie it has to be the whole packet. Obviously I need to work on my will power. I struggle to meet my daily 1200 but thats mainly because I don't eat much meat and I love my salads, veggies and fruit. I've been eating the same healthy food as my ten month old (purely through ease) on majority so no salt, no sugar (other than naturally occuring) and no junk. I feel like I am always bloody eating but never seem to get there. i'm certainly not boasting for undereating though!! What would be the point? I'm not losing the weight because of it so certainly nothing to be proud of!!
    I posted something similiar earlier and got lots of helpful comments such as filling up on nuts, swapping the low fat stuff for fuller fat and adding protein shakes to my diet. Which I'll be doing from now on. : )
  • jmeeej
    Nuts are a very dense source of fats and proteins. I eat nuts every day. Raw unsalted almonds are fantastic.

30 Almonds is about 200 calories, 7g carbs, 18g fat, 8g protein, 4g fiber.

I just had a salad for lunch with avocado, chicken breast, spinach, red onions, hardboiled eggs, and olive oil/balsamic vinegar dressing. It was great..........until I threw some crush pecans on it. Then it was AMAZING.
  • Nuts are a very dense source of fats and proteins. I eat nuts every day. Raw unsalted almonds are fantastic.

30 Almonds is about 200 calories, 7g carbs, 18g fat, 8g protein, 4g fiber.

I just had a salad for lunch with avocado, chicken breast, spinach, red onions, hardboiled eggs, and olive oil/balsamic vinegar dressing. It was great..........until I threw some crush pecans on it. Then it was AMAZING.

That was liturally my lunch yesterday minus the eggs!
  • Mixmode

Why yes, yes it is! Right before I kissed Wendy Peffercorn! Haha
  • jacksonpt

Why yes, yes it is! Right before I kissed Wendy Peffercorn! Haha

Awesome!
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member

Then why did you ask her if she believed in the myth in the first place? For your peace of mind?

Wrap some protein and carbs around your workouts and voila, you've got 5 meals already...
  • I find it hard to get enough calories yet at the same time stay in the green with fat and sugar and protein. Yeah, I could eat a pot of mac and cheese and get the calories, but then my fat would be over. I always end up wondering which I should let go over or under.

I eat (I think) plenty of healthy yet caloric things and I could easily reach the goal if I didn't work out, but I do, and I don't know if I should feel like I have to stuff my face to make up the rest of it. I eat all 3 meals and usually twice a day healthy snacks. Does being 150 calories under the goal really put you in starvation mode?

This logging this is so confusing...do one thing right the other thing is bad....:-\
  • I have trouble hitting my daily calories because I'm so worried about "falling off the wagon" I just try to get as close to 1200 as I can while being comfortable and happy with what I've eaten throughout the day. I don't try to eat my calories burned.

And that treat at night? No way! I have a history with binging and ED's and I'm not giving myself the temptation to binge. Not that there's anything unhealthy in the house to binge on!
This discussion has been closed.