Healthy breakfast ideas?

Options
What are some healthy breakfast ideas?

Replies

• W_Stewart
    W_Stewart Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    My two breakfast meals I generally alternate:

2 eggs, 1 patty turkey sausage, 1 piece Dave’s 21 seed bread, a little Smuckers low sugar strawberry preserves

3/4 cup instant oatmeal, 1/4 cup blueberries, 1/4 cup low-fat milk, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp honey

And on a Sunday I’ll have Kodiak protein pancakes and a no-sugar syrup

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    My 2 favorites:

Quick and dirty: A bowl of oatmeal with a dash of cinnamon (40g of rolled oats and 1 cup water in the microwave for 2 minutes)

When I have a little more time: 1 poached egg, 1 whole grain English muffin (egg on one side and a tsp of butter and a teaspoon of jam on the other), 1 5.3 oz container of Greek yogurt.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    My breakfast is usually skyr yogurt with fruit, in my case I prefer plain yogurt to which I add some flavored protein powder for an extra protein boost.
  • Luv2eatSweets
    Luv2eatSweets Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I like to have a protein smoothie, consisting of a whole banana, half cup of blueberries, half cup of Fage greek yogurt and two tsps of chia seeds, and a medjool date if available.(2 scoops of Whey protein)
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I’m definitely not a morning person! I usually have something prepared in the fridge or freezer to zap in the microwave. Maybe breakfast burritos or egg based muffins.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal, egg, yogurt
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal, egg, yogurt

Altogether? I've been adding an egg to my oats and like the idea of decreasing oats and adding yogurt to get my carbs lower and protein higher.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Here's one that's yummy:
    Combine a ripe smashed banana with 1/2 cup rolled oats (not quick), 3/4 cup milk of choice, 1/2 t vanilla, 1.5 T unsweetened cocoa powder and dash of salt. Cook according to directions on oats can. You can add a sweetener if you like (although I find if the banana is pretty ripe I don't need one) and any toppings (like nuts, nut butter, even chocolate chips) or add more protein by stirring in some protein powder (which is what I do)
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    @kshama2001 that would be great, if you have the calories—I don’t. I have a Greek yogurt (140 cal) or apple and cinnamon oatmeal packet (130 cal) or an egg in a small taco-sized tortilla (145 cal). That and coffee creamer is my breakfast, pretty much everyday. I like it and it works for me.
  • Walkywalkerson
    Walkywalkerson Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I usually have greek yoghurt with Berries and nuts - either Almonds or walnuts.
    Or omlettes with different fillings - cheese and spinach is my favourite - with toast.
  • OHFlamingo
    OHFlamingo Posts: 239 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    When the weather turns cooler, like it has this week, I make myself overnight oats, with oats, almond milk some fruit and or nuts, and appropriate spices. I make it in the evening, and then I log it for my next morning's breakfast. In the morning, I heat them up and then make myself a cup of herbal or green tea, Couldn't be simpler! And there are many combinations, so my taste buds don't get bored!
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    -2 eggs, toast, tomato, maybe avocado (typical weekend breakfast)
    -steel cut oats, plain yogurt, maple syrup (other typical weekend breakfast)
    -Vega One shake with plain yogurt (typical weekday breakfast)
    -Frittata: eggs, potato or chickpeas, various vegetables and fresh herbs, feta (ease make ahead)
  • ToffeeApple71
    ToffeeApple71 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I do the overnight oats as people above have mentioned. I have freeze-dried fruit which I add to change the flavour. Very few calories and intense flavour for very little fruit. I have boysenberries, strawberries or raspberries usually. I break up one or two berries and sprinkle them through. Just got some freeze-dried mango which I'll use this week. I switch up the milks as well... sometimes soy, sometimes almond, sometimes oat milk. All adds variety. If you have the calories for nuts, they add flavour too. I love three or four crushed hazelnuts on top.
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    During the week I throw together a smoothie. I thaw half a cup of frozen berries in the fridge overnight. Into the blender with half a cup of greek yoghurt, a quarter cup of Fibre 1 cereal, a scoop of Vega Protein & Greens, and enough fake milk to make 2 cups total. My milk was just discontinued so I'm trying to find a new one I like.

On weekends it's eggs of some type. Either I've made egg muffins and can pull a few out of the fridge, or I scramble a couple with mushrooms, onions, a tablespoon or so of shredded cheese, and a protein of some kind. I almost always have chicken bacon in the fridge, but this morning I shredded some leftover salmon into it 😋
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,296 Member
    Options
    Refrigerator oatmeal is a good one. Lots of ways to customize it. A quick google will bring up many recipes. And they are all easy and delicious. Use mason jars for portability. Makes a perfect grab-n-go meal.
  • yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    2 egg Omelet
    1/2 cup oatmeal
    English muffin whole grain
    Boiled eggs
    Bacon
    Coffee
    Some times I eat dinner or lunch meals for breakfast just depends if I have left overs and don't want to cook or what I'm in the mood for.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I make big batches of steel cut oats, and freeze in individual portions. Right now it’s a diced apple, cinnamon, chopped walnuts with a splash of skim milk. No added sodium or sugars that come in the convenient packets. Another favorite is a soft boiled egg on a toasted light English muffin.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Oatmeal, egg, yogurt
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Altogether? I've been adding an egg to my oats and like the idea of decreasing oats and adding yogurt to get my carbs lower and protein higher.
    @kshama2001 that would be great, if you have the calories—I don’t. I have a Greek yogurt (140 cal) or apple and cinnamon oatmeal packet (130 cal) or an egg in a small taco-sized tortilla (145 cal). That and coffee creamer is my breakfast, pretty much everyday. I like it and it works for me.

I spent three years in a yoga retreat center and ashram where I had oatmeal up to 7 days a week. (The Monday cook made millet, but if she was out it was oatmeal :( )

After that, I was unbelievably sick of oatmeal.

But that ended in 2004, and I am trying to eat it again, because this time of year I want something warm. And moderate to high fiber, moderate protein, moderate fat, and low saturated fat. (Once the weather turned cold I was eating two eggs, a tiny turkey breakfast sausage patty, and veggies, but the fats were higher than I wanted.)

This morning I had oats, an egg, yogurt, chia seeds, ground ginger, and blackstrap molasses (I'm anemic.) It was great! I've been experimenting with oatmeal and liked it best this way. Sweeter than it needed to be, so I will cut down on the molasses. Probably have half in the oatmeal and half elsewhere.

So even though it's not what you meant, thanks for the idea :)
  • age_is_just_a_number
    Options
    My standard breakfast is:
    1 tbsp each chia, flax, hemp
    Some milk to bloom the chia
    30 grams of Dorset cereal
    170 grams of Greek yoghurt
    A half cup of fruit - whatever is in season or frozen and thawed. My preferred is blueberries
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    On my off work days I make an omelette/frittata after I do my Elliptical. Usually around 11 AM-1 PM, then just eat supper(meat and vegetable) and maybe a snack in the evening(some Rebel ice cream or recently sugar free jello with homemade whipped cream).
    2 eggs
    2 cups spinach
    2 oz bell pepper
    1 oz shredded cheese
    4 slices bacon

Work days a low carb protein shake for breakfast, fast and easy and out the door.