Why is your goal weight your goal weight?

Options

Replies

• getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I lost weight three years ago and was 180... I realized that I still had some "fluffy" areas and figured that alittle more off would be okay. I decided after putting back on 34 pounds I needed a new wake up call and joined MFP.

I also knew that after I had my son at 20 I weighed 145 and the pictures show that I might have been too skinny. So I am planning on getting between 160 and 165 to maintain :wink:
  • Krys_T
    Krys_T Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Mine is based on where I was about 6 years ago, being in great physical shape playing sports. I liked my physique then, and the amount of tone I had.
  • tickletickle
    Options
    My goal weight is 65Kgs, because for a healthy BMI i need to be 67.7 and 65 sounds nice and rounded and i remember myself at this size and liked it.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Because it's right smack in the middle of a healthy bmi range and 100 lbs sounded like a good number to lose.
  • Ajan9500
    Options
    My goal weight is 145 pounds. I chose this weight because its in a healthy BMI range
  • PurpleCoookie
    Options
    I don't know, 175 seems like a good match for me. Never seen onderland before but I'm sure it will be a great trip.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Mine was pretty much arbitrary. It was a round number that I figured would put me in the range of where I wanted to be body fat wise. I was pretty close. I'd still like to put on some additional muscle and take off some more fat in my mid-section but overall I'm happy where I'm at now and very excited to have countless people notice and make comments to me about it.
  • Rags2Righteous
    Rags2Righteous Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    My goal weight of 140 lbs on my 5 ft. 4 in frame was suggested to me by a nutritionist several years ago. I haven't weighed this since I was in high school, so I am quite curious as to what I'll look like at that weight now that I'm a grown woman. :-) I should add that I was a very physically active dancer at that time as well.
  • CuteEllais
    CuteEllais Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I picked mine based on a rough estimate of what I weighed when I could wear my favorite jeans! It's technically about 25 lbs over my supposed BMI acceptable weight, but I'm a solid type person and the BMI is a joke to me. If I still want to lose more when I get to my goal weight, I will, if not, I won't.
  • NicLiving
    NicLiving Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Well....long sigh.... I tried buying life insurance and was denied due to my high BMI. So I had to make some changes and it was time. So I started out the new year by making a serious committment to lose 1 pound a week for the entire year. So far so good =)
  • navjhaj
    Options
    As a runner, I feel the lighter you are the faster you are...and I want to be a pretty damn fast runner.

Just looking at your stats--join date is May 2011, the difference between the starting weight and current weight is 100 lbs (!)

Wow!!!! Congrats! How did you manage to lose THAT much weight in 4 and half months??? What were your workouts like? How much did you eat, and how much was your daily caloric deficit??
  • Navmachine
    Options
    i'm 5' 4" and my goal is what i weighed 5 years ago.(120lbs) i still have a bunch of cute little dresses that fit that weight, so im looking to get back into them! i also have a short torso'ed frame, so any little bit of weight makes me look very frumpy.
  • EMc4452
    EMc4452 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I picked my goal weight based on the mid-range of a healthy BMI (21.7). I havent been there in my adult life so I'd like to see what it looks like.
  • springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    As a runner, I feel the lighter you are the faster you are...and I want to be a pretty damn fast runner.

Just looking at your stats--join date is May 2011, the difference between the starting weight and current weight is 100 lbs (!)

Wow!!!! Congrats! How did you manage to lose THAT much weight in 4 and half months??? What were your workouts like? How much did you eat, and how much was your daily caloric deficit??

That's my total weight loss. It's taken me from 2009 to lose 100lbs. Actually, I put on weight late last year, and lost the 30lbs. I put back on. I have more weight to lose. Sounds a little confusing. My diary is open if you want to look though! I'm a runner and do P90X (although I'm on break right now since I'm tapering).

Thank you though for the congrats. I started February 26, 2009 - the day my son was born up until now. It's been a huge battle but one very worth it.
  • crozierb
    crozierb Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I've been at my goal weight before and for those few years I loved how I felt and liked how I looked!
  • AmesLee78
    Options
    Because I was told that is what is ideal for my height (I'm only 5 feet tall) and it's what I weighed when I met my husband, 13 years ago. Although at this point, I just want to stay healthy. My health is great except for being obese and having Fibromyalgia and I want it to stay that way. I know I'm essentially "playing with fire" by continuing to be this heavy the older I get (I just turned 33.) So even if I got down to say, 150, I'd be happy.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    When I was last at this weight I had a the makings of a pretty respectable six pack...I miss that.
  • navjhaj
    Options

That's my total weight loss. It's taken me from 2009 to lose 100lbs. Actually, I put on weight late last year, and lost the 30lbs. I put back on. I have more weight to lose. Sounds a little confusing. My diary is open if you want to look though! I'm a runner and do P90X (although I'm on break right now since I'm tapering).

Thank you though for the congrats. I started February 26, 2009 - the day my son was born up until now. It's been a huge battle but one very worth it.

Thanks for the clarification. I did look at your recent diary entries, and you seem to eat a lot of lean protein, most likely double/triple what I eat, with vegetables, i.e., generally low in carbs from breads.

That takes a lot of dedication and perseverance. Good for you!

As for me, to answer the question, II set my goal weight because I''d like to get under 10% body fat, and when I was running marathons, I weighted like 75-80 kg. That was when I was in the best shape.
  • _Splenda_
    _Splenda_ Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I chose 128 as my GW bc its exactly 50lbs from my starting weight. i'm 135 now, *fingers crossed* i should get there by the end of October. It been a LOONNNGGG year.
  • Deathwithab
    Deathwithab Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I haven't been 130 since middle school and it's in the healthy weight rainge for my height