Protein powders

Can anyone recommend a good whey protein isolate? I'm new to protein powders and have no idea where to start. Many thanks:)

Replies

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,430 Member
    My favorites are Dymatize Iso 100 which is isolate, for post-workout. They have a lot of good flavors. If you care about the Stevia versions you can get a few flavors of those at Costco. I found those ones a bit bland. And I have Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard for protein shakes at other times. It tends to be cheaper than Dymatize, and is good value imo.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    I just buy the store brand from Kroger, Simple Truth. I buy vanilla. It's really inexpensive and versatile and I go through a can a month.
  • Butt_Snorkeler
    Butt_Snorkeler Posts: 167 Member
    Ive tried several brands over the years and always find myself going back to Gaspari Nutrition. If you follow their social media, they often do 30% off deals where I stock up.

Flavors are bomb, dissolves easily, and have both whey and egg white
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,430 Member
    edited October 2021
    I just buy the store brand from Kroger, Simple Truth. I buy vanilla. It's really inexpensive and versatile and I go through a can a month.
    Really inexpensive? This? About $15 per pound? I consider $12+ per pound to be expensive. Last week I got a deal via slickdeals for 10 pounds of Dymatize Iso 100 vanilla for $73.

https://www.kroger.com/p/simple-truth-vanilla-plant-based-protein-powder/0004126038160
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    Really inexpensive? This? About $15 per pound? I consider $12+ per pound to be expensive. Last week I got a deal via slickdeals for 10 pounds of Dymatize Iso 100 vanilla for $73.

https://www.kroger.com/p/simple-truth-vanilla-plant-based-protein-powder/0004126038160

That's the plant based one, and yeah it's spendy although I do buy it. I don't use it nearly as often as the whey. The whey is $8.50 for 13 ounces when I use the coupon they send me once a month.

Regardless, I can just walk in and buy it and I like it.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Not sure where you are but I use PhD Diet Whey. It's a bit pricey but it's easy for me to obtain and I like it.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    edited October 2021
    Myprotein clear whey isolate. It's like juice. I have Wild Cherry flavor. There is also Lemonade, Strawberry, and Tropical Dragonfruit. I get it on Amazon. I like it because it's only 80 calories, and it's not heavy like regular protein powders. I get sick of milky protein drinks very quickly.

Myprotein Clear Whey Isolate - 20 Servings Wild Cherry https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0921VJ27M/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_g_MPE5CRAGRNP35JJJY4Y9
  • I’ve tried kaizen and LeanFit. I prefer LeanFit over kaizen. I buy it at Costco, when it is on sale.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,366 Member
    Ive tried several brands over the years and always find myself going back to Gaspari Nutrition. If you follow their social media, they often do 30% off deals where I stock up.

Flavors are bomb, dissolves easily, and have both whey and egg white

I had to buy the egg white one when my dr stuck me on low FODMAP for a month because whey was forbidden and a lot of the other non-whey ones had forbidden ingredients hiding in there. It was pretty expensive for me but I'm in Canada.

That being said, my favourite protein is a Canadian product DynaWhey. Dissolves so easily I can just stir it into water. Comes in a nice compact bag rather than a huge plastic tub that takes up half the cupboard.