Half Marathon training support group?

Options

Replies

• 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Hey friends! its great reading everyone's updates and stories and training experiences. I am 42 miles into a 100 mile running challenge in September. I need to step it up a little bit as today is going to mark the halfway point of the month. Ran a tempo 5k last evening, 8:20 was my mile pace. Feeling pretty good about that! I haven't run 5k that quickly in 10 years or so. In June when I returned to running and trying to lose weight I was doing 11 minute miles for a 5k, so I am really happy with the progress so far. Shedding the weight has really helped. My long runs are being ran at 10 minute miles.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I am training for a half I am running in the spring!

7 mile run planned for tonight.

I am doing a muddy 5k on October 1st.

Muddy runs are fun! Enjoy that! and good luck with your training!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Backing down to a 6 mile run tomorrow and back up to 12 next Friday. I'm running my next half in late October, then one in December looking for one in November somewhat local, haven't found one yet. Would like to maintain one per month as 12 miles is a pretty easy distance for me at this point. I"m still doing Insanity, so only running one day a week, it feels really odd to not be out there more.
  • slb106
    Options
    5 miles tonight and then a much needed rest day tomorrow (although I may sneak in some Ab Ripper X)! I'm loving the cooler weather right now...low 70s :smile:
  • paladeac
    paladeac Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Just thought I would say hello as I am training for my first half marathon on the 30th October. Its been going really well up until a few weeks ago when I twisted my ankle getting off the bus (of all things!) this seems to have impacted my foot in some way and it still hasn't come completely right.
    I iced it, rested it, etc but whenever I return to running it seems to start hurting under my foot. I went for an 8km run today and about 3km in it started to hurt again (last time about a week ago this happened after just 500 metres) so not wanting to make things worse I stopped and walked but that was hurting a bit too. Then I tried running on the balls/front of my feet and that felt much better, so much so that I actually completed the run. I had been wondering about heal striking for some time now but figured that I might reassess my running style after the half, now however I think I might change straight away. It feels a bit strange but I think I'll get used to it, and I like the idea that less jarring occurs. My last concern now is my running shoes. I have a pair of "traditional" shoes they have average support and are relatively inflexible in the base. I have the impression that if I am going to change from heal striking that I may need to change shoes. Thoughts? advice?

As I changed my running style I had to change shoes. I went with Nike Frees for a while, but I found myself battling the heels. I've now switched to Altras and am very happy. Running old style in old style shoes was making my knees hurt constantly.
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Yay tomorrow is Friday!! I got my 4 miles in today, and I will run tomorrow then light cardio over the weekend to give my legs a rest!

Just curious, I am looking to get some new running shoes soon! What brand/shoe does everyone like the best????
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I haven't been running because of my foot. I did get 4 miles in Tuesday and it hurt. I need new shoes. The first 2 miles felt fine, but the shoes are finished. So I am hoping it solves my foot pain issue. I ordered the same kind of shoes I have been running in before. I tried minimalism running, but I need to do that when I am not training for 1/2 marathon.
  • adhillman01
    Options
    I'm running my first half on October 1st. My longest run so far has been 10 miles, last week. I have 11 planned for this week. After that I'm not sure. Should I go for 12 the weekend before the half or should I taper and take it easy? Also, I was thinking of doing another half on Thanksgiving. How should I train in between those two. There are eight weeks in between, but my miles will already be up.
  • bjbixler
    bjbixler Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    A great 4 miles on the trail today with my friend Sandy who is training for the same HM with me.
    The next 2 days are supposed to be rest days bc I have a 5K on Sunday, but I'm going to do some cross training tomorrow on the bike.

I'm super excited about my 5K Sunday, because it's been awhile since I've run a 5K, and I think I have a good chance of setting a PR. :)

As for shoes, I use Brooks Adrenaline GTS 11... they are the ones in my profile pic, It makes me happy to put on purple shoes :o)
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I tried minimalism running, but I need to do that when I am not training for 1/2 marathon.

It's made such a difference for me. I don't go as minimalist as Vibrams, but I do have zero drop Newtons. A big change from the Asics I was running in, and so much less pain.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I tried minimalism running, but I need to do that when I am not training for 1/2 marathon.

It's made such a difference for me. I don't go as minimalist as Vibrams, but I do have zero drop Newtons. A big change from the Asics I was running in, and so much less pain.

I really want to do it, but my foot started hurt doing it with all the miles I was doing for this training. I will start trying it again once I do this race and build from there.
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    Cross training day today. I went to spin class. 13.65 miles in 45 minutes. Tonight's class was a strength training ride. so fun!

Tomorrow is a rest day.

Saturday I think I will just run 8 miles. Sunday will be the 2 week mark before my half!! Crazy how fast it came up. I keep saying that!

As far as shoes go... I currently am wearing Saucony something or other ProGrid guide 4?? Idk. I was wearing Asics 21 series. I started in 2140s, then 2150s... I bought the 2160s and wore them for a while before going back to the 2150s because something changed between the two. i love love love my Asics but feared not being able to buy the 2150s so I got re-evaluated at the running store and they put me in the Saucony's which are very much the same as my Asics were. I probably won't ever do minimalist running. I don't really have any pain even logging as many miles as I do. No pain on the long run either other than just overall fatigue, which I suppose is absolutely normal when running 10-12 miles.

My best advice for those looking for shoes is that if you have not been fitted at a specialty running store, go do it. Everyone is so different in what they need for running. Go let a professional analyze your gait/stride/etc. You will be happy you did!
  • curlytop89
    curlytop89 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Well did a 9 mile long run today and did a modified Jeff Galloway program. I ran 8 minutes and walked 45 seconds and I could reallly tell that I wasn't exhausted at the end of my run, tired mind you, but not totally spent. I think I might stick with it again next week. Plus I can kinda tell how far I am going by how many cycles I do. I managed to run a just under a 10 minute pace for the 9 miles (including walk periods). I think I have room to pick up the pace a bit too. I might try some interval training this weekend to get my speed back up. If we are talking shoes, I have been wearing Mizuno waves for the last two years and love them, but I think shoes are something that is different for everyone. I also do various types of cross training on my nonrun days and limit running to 3 days a week, otherwise I get burnt out and get injured. Seems to work for me. I would like to run my half in under 2 hours, but I definitely have some work to do and with it being the last weekend in october, I am not sure if I have time. We'll see...
  • curlytop89
    curlytop89 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Curlytop, I'm doing Jeff Galloway's run/walk and it suits me down to the ground. I'm a very slow runner so I'm using the ratio R2/W1 minute.

Here's what he recommends:
    Run-walk-run ratio should correspond to the training pace used:
    8 min/mi—run 4 min/walk 35 seconds
    9 min/mi— 4 min run-1 min walk
    10 min/mi—-3:1
    11 min/mi—2:30-1
    12 min/mi—-2:1
    13 min/mi—-1:1
    14 min/mi—30 sec run/30 sec walk
    15 min/mi—30 sec/45 sec
    16 min/mi—30 sec/60 sec

Of course, if you do the math, to average 8 min/mile, you have to do the run portion at about 6:45 pace, which I would guess would be hard for many on this thread to maintain for 4 minutes (maybe not, just saying).

That's what I was thinking too. If you are going to run an 8 minute mile then running 4 min then walking 35sec then running again would put you either over 8 min miles or practially sprintining for 4 minutes, ha ha. We'll see. I might try it again on this week's long run. Also, are you supposed to do it on shorter runs too or just the long run? Seems like if you are only don't 3 or 4 miles there would be no need. I don't know.

I think on the Galloway program, you always run/walk, even for 3 mile runs. Pet peeve - Galloway runners ahead of you during a 5K race who run for 2 minutes, and just when you are finding your stride and your place in the pack, their timer goes off and they stop dead in their tracks and you practically pull a groin to avoid running them over. I mean, if you know you're going to stop, you think they would stay on the edge of the pack, so they don't block other runners when they stop,

I will have to remember that, ha ha. I haven't been stopping for 3 or 4 miles or less, but if it is more I think I will. I also think I will run a mile and stop at the water stations where everyone is slowing down anyway. I think the half I am doing they have stations at least every 2 miles.
  • electriq
    electriq Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    It all makes perfect sense now of course but back a few months ago when I ran my first ever race, a 10km as part of my half prep, I couldn't work out what was going on. I am naturally a fairly consistently paced runner and tend to run with a negative split which is just what seems to happen and work for me. Now in the race I couldn't work out why there were quite a number of people who would go motoring past me only for me to overtake them a few minutes later, this kept happening over and over again. I was wondering if they just had no idea about pacing or if they were extremely poorly prepared for the race (my little naive mind), anyway after that race I discovered the run-walk techniques and now I get it. Its not something which I find very appealing but I think whatever works for you is the way to go
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Berry ~ Congrats on your run!!That's awesome!!!

27strange ~ nice temp run! That is quite the improvement in time :)

Diamonangel ~ My first two pairs were Brooks, my last two pairs have been Saucony. I try on every pair when I go to the store and run around like a crazy woman :)

adhillman ~ You can go either way, once you've done 10, you can do 13.1. If you feel like doing 12, then go for it. As far as the rest of the training, you could always stagger. Do say 8 one weekend, then 10, then 6, and then 12...so on. Might help you beat your last time!

RE: Pandora ~ I listen to Black Eyed Peas radio :)

Tomorrow is the big day!! (or one of them anyway!) USAF Half Marathon, and it's going to be 50 and sunny!! Absolutely perfect!! My goal for this race is to have fun, help a friend, and finish with a smile on my face. Not worried about, nor do I care about my time!

Happy Friday friends!!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Good luck tomorrow Katapple!

Today was an x-train day for me. Got in a good ride with my horse, and then a brisk walk 5k.
  • electriq
    Options
    So I went for my first forefoot focused run just now, a 5km. After about the first km of ff running I realized I would indeed need to alternate. My injury started to hurt a little after a few hundred metres either style I ran so just before this started to happen I would switch over. I'm getting used to it but I still feel quite uncoordinated running forefoot. At least I am back running though! (only 6 weeks until my half!).

I would be keen to hear anyone else's transition experiences if you feel like sharing
  • electriq
    Options
    Hi,
    Just thought I would say hello as I am training for my first half marathon on the 30th October. Its been going really well up until a few weeks ago when I twisted my ankle getting off the bus (of all things!) this seems to have impacted my foot in some way and it still hasn't come completely right.
    I iced it, rested it, etc but whenever I return to running it seems to start hurting under my foot. I went for an 8km run today and about 3km in it started to hurt again (last time about a week ago this happened after just 500 metres) so not wanting to make things worse I stopped and walked but that was hurting a bit too. Then I tried running on the balls/front of my feet and that felt much better, so much so that I actually completed the run. I had been wondering about heal striking for some time now but figured that I might reassess my running style after the half, now however I think I might change straight away. It feels a bit strange but I think I'll get used to it, and I like the idea that less jarring occurs. My last concern now is my running shoes. I have a pair of "traditional" shoes they have average support and are relatively inflexible in the base. I have the impression that if I am going to change from heal striking that I may need to change shoes. Thoughts? advice?

As I changed my running style I had to change shoes. I went with Nike Frees for a while, but I found myself battling the heels. I've now switched to Altras and am very happy. Running old style in old style shoes was making my knees hurt constantly.

Yeah I am wondering a little about the heals on my new balance shoes. I might have a look into other options this week. I'll have a chat to the physio who I'm going to see this week too.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I worked on barefoot running through last winter on the rec of my physio. He felt it might improve my odds of avoiding shin splints and the stress farctures I have suffered with. It took a week or two of really short runs before I got the hang of it. The first few times I could really feel the muscles in my calves ache but they soon caught up and I suddenly had visible muscle in my legs. I was so excited about that because despite being heavier my lower legs have always been very skinny. Soon the running became easier but my feet always felt sore from the abrasion. I have maintained the forefoot strike and just wear my shoes again (asics gel kayano). I am looking at buying some minimalist shoes soon, I want to get them before these are done so I can ease them in. That will be the next shopping excursion, very much looking forward to it!!