Half Marathon training support group?

Options
I've seen a ton of the Couch to 5k groups on here, but nothing for those training for a half marathon. I decided to give it a try. I just downloaded a training app for a 12 week program. I know it might take me a little longer than 12 weeks, but I'm aiming for a half in the spring. Anyone interested in a group?

Replies

• billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    what training app?
  • beckystephens
    beckystephens Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Sure. I need to start training for the Rock n Roll Las Vegas in December.
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I am!! My plan is to do a half in March too! I am doing a 5k in Oct, 10K in Dec and Half in March! What app are you using?
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I am training for a half as well. I found a 17 week program and more than doubled it so I can draw out my training and avoid stress fractures in my tibias(again). I plan to run a half in May or June. Until then I plod on and throw in a few 5 and 10ks.
  • BaronessBlixen
    BaronessBlixen Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I'm looking to run the Pittsburgh half marathon in May. :) I've never done a half before (or even a 5K, for that matter).
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    For the app, I just went to the iTunes app store, and searched half marathon training. There's a dozen or so, and they all function just like the C25k app. I downloaded the Hal Higendon one and the BHI Technologies one to see which I liked better.
  • JonC03
    Options
    I would be interested. I recently decided to start training for a marathon but would defiantly be interested in this group also. What was the app?
  • summertime_girl
    Options
    I think the Hal Higdon app is going to be more what I want, personally. The others are time-based, like the C25k was. I am not a fast runner, so I'd prefer something that is distance-based, since at the end of C25k, I wasn't running a full 5k, even though I was doing the whole distance. I'm up to 5-6 miles straight now, but at a pretty slow pace.

There is a marathon and a half marathon plan here.

http://www.bluefinapps.com/#ourapps
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I am in. I am several weeks into a 1/2 marathon training schedule. I have never run a 1/2 before. My longest run/race ever was a 15k (9.3 miles) about 10 years ago. Been getting back into running this summer and loving it! I would enjoy the mutual support and encouragement of a half marathon training group. Add me as a friend peeps, and we will do this together!
  • summertime_girl
    Options
    Since I'm planning on training now, for a half in the spring, I do have other races lined up.

5k x-country race completed on Aug. 6
    5k road race on Sept. 24
    5k road race on Sept. 25
    Mud/obstacle 5k on Oct. 8

What about you all?
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Since I'm planning on training now, for a half in the spring, I do have other races lined up.

5k road race on Sept. 24
    5k road race on Sept. 25

What about you all?

Sounds like a great schedule! Good luck!

I've got the following scheduled:
    5k - 8/27 Completed
    8k - 9/10
    Adventure Run - 10/1
    10k - 10/2
    1/2M - 10/9
    15k - 10/29
  • sjcply
    Options

5k road race on Sept. 24
    5k road race on Sept. 25

What about you all?

The mud/obstacle sounds fun, think I should add one of those to my list too!! :laugh:
  • summertime_girl
    Options
    The mud race is way out of my comfort zone. I don't typically like to get dirty! This is the one I'm doing: http://www.renegadeplayground.com/
  • summertime_girl
    Options
    Besides running, what do you all do for exercise?

I work from home in an insanely sedentary job. I'm on the computer for a good 16+ hours per day. I have an elliptical that I try to hop on for at least 10 minutes, every few hours, just to get my blood moving. I run for an hour a day. And I ride my horse at least 4-5 times a week. I do need to get some more strength training in though, my exercise routine is sorely lacking there.
  • olivedrab
    olivedrab Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'd like to join in here, too, although my timeline is vague as far as registering for an actual half. I just know I'd like to do one in the Spring sometime.

Right now I have a handful of races lined up for the next few months (I try to do at least one a month):

Early September--5k
    Early October--7k
    Later October--10k
    Early November--5k?
    Later November--10k

To answer Summertime_girl, I like to mix up my running with bicycling, a bit of hiking, and some yoga. Oh, and there's a little circuit gym not far from here, so I try to hit that a couple times a week, though some weeks are better than others.
  • sjcply
    Options
    Besides running, what do you all do for exercise?

I work from home in an insanely sedentary job. I'm on the computer for a good 16+ hours per day. I have an elliptical that I try to hop on for at least 10 minutes, every few hours, just to get my blood moving. I run for an hour a day. And I ride my horse at least 4-5 times a week. I do need to get some more strength training in though, my exercise routine is sorely lacking there.

I am a stay at home mom, so I am able to focus on ME while the kids are in school!
    I run 4-5 days a week and then go to the gym for strength training. I did 1 1/2 rounds of P90x and have done a few weeks of Insanity. I LOVE P90x, but got bored during my second round. I still throw in a few of the workout here and there ( I love KenpoX)
    This summer while my kids were out of school (3kids) I lost track of my workouts, I quit running and just squeezed in a few short workouts during the week. We were gone alot, so now that they are back in school, I am running again to get ready for my Half marathon in March! Then next will come the Marthon! :bigsmile:
  • summertime_girl
    Options
    Ended up doing 5.5 miles this morning, 3 miles this afternoon, and then rode my horse for a while. BodyBugg says I've burned 3200 calories already today!

Tomorrow I'll ride first thing in the morning, then run 3-4 miles, and that'll be it for tomorrow.

I need to find a 1/2 to register for, so I have no excuse to back out!
  • jessicamckay13
    Options
    me!

i'm slacking in week 5 of a 10ish week plan.

i have two young kids and have to get up early to run. i am not so good at running in the morning. BUT, i did 7 miles and ourtan the dog last sunday! i plan on redoing this week again next week. i don't have a race i'm aiming for, i just want to finish this training plan and say hey, i can run 13 miles.

i do easy run tuesday, gym class with weights on wednesday, harder run thursday, gym class again on friday, easy run saturday, long run sunday. rest monday.
  • jessicamckay13
    Options
    Ended up doing 5.5 miles this morning, 3 miles this afternoon, and then rode my horse for a while. BodyBugg says I've burned 3200 calories already today!

Tomorrow I'll ride first thing in the morning, then run 3-4 miles, and that'll be it for tomorrow.

I need to find a 1/2 to register for, so I have no excuse to back out!

what kind of riding do you do? i did eventing when i was a teenager and had a couple horses before the kiddos came along.
  • summertime_girl
    Options
    Primarily dressage, but working on some jumping, and I'm always up for a trail ride. I feel a little too old to show now, but I do want to do some hunter paces and/or competitive trail rides.

It is definitely hard to get the riding in with young kids. My son is now a teenager, and my daughter is a total barn bum, so it's easy to get there now, with the exception of work getting in the way!