Half Marathon training support group?

Options

Replies

• kath711
    kath711 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I'm in. I'm shooting for one in November but haven't actually signed up for it yet.

My schedule is sunday soccer, monday medium length run (about 7-8), tuesday soccer, wednesday medium run, thursday shorter run (6-7) and friday long run. My longest run so far has been 10.5. I am gonna do that again tomorrow and then try to bump it up next week. I was a little sore after my long run last week so gonna give it another week before going any longer.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Getting ready to head out for a ride, then a run. Hope everyone has a good training day!
  • summertime_girl
    Options
    Per the Hal Higdon program, today was to be a rest day. I did a quick 2.5 miles, and a 60 minute ride.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I am training for my first half marathon. It is next month. October 15th! I am kind of taking a break this week because I have sore arch. I am week 6 of my 12 week training. It is feeling better but it felt better on Wednesday so I ran 4 1/2 miles then my foot was sore. I've been stretching it and icing it in hopes I can get running again!
    If my foot feels up to it I am going to run my first 9 miles this Sunday.
    My races are in my signature. :)
  • olivedrab
    olivedrab Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Sore arches, bleh. Hope they're better soon, as I just went through a bout of that myself. Which means I've also been running shorter distances this week--just a 5k last night--and hoping to do a longer run Saturday or Sunday.
  • UrbanRunner81
    Options
    I'm in! I'm looking to run the Pittsburgh half marathon in May. :) I've never done a half before (or even a 5K, for that matter).

I am definitely going to do this! Not sure if I will do the half or the full marathon. Depends on if I can get training runs done in during the winter. I hate running on the treadmill so I am not doing that.
    But I'll be there!!
  • summertime_girl
    Options
    I'm a little worried about the training runs on the treadmill. I can go longer physically, but I get so bored. But it's so cold in New England in the winter. Not to mention that the snowbanks make running treacherous.
  • UrbanRunner81
    Options
    Sore arches, bleh. Hope they're better soon, as I just went through a bout of that myself. Which means I've also been running shorter distances this week--just a 5k last night--and hoping to do a longer run Saturday or Sunday.

It needs to be better at least by Sept 25th for the 10k I'm doing. I never had problems with my arches but this is the first I've running over 7 miles. A few weeks ago was my first 8 mile run and this week will be my first time I try for 9. So I've been doing low-impact exercises until it feels better.
  • UrbanRunner81
    Options
    I'm a little worried about the training runs on the treadmill. I can go longer physically, but I get so bored. But it's so cold in New England in the winter. Not to mention that the snowbanks make running treacherous.

I find I run so much slower on the treadmill. It seems like such a chore to run on it. When I am outside I run longer and faster. Probably because I really do enjoy just being outside and the scenery changes.

I've been researching winter running. It gets quite cold here in Pittsburgh, too. We didn't get as much snow as New England last year.
    I'm going to get these: http://www.yaktrax.com/pro

Also invest in some more running clothes.
  • summertime_girl
    Options
    It's not so much things being slippery, it's that there are no real sidewalks around here, and the snowbanks get so high that I'd literally be running in the middle of the road. I think I won't have a choice but to run inside at that point. I have access to miles of trails at the barn where my horse is stabled, so I was thinking I could do some snowshoe cross training on the hilly trails, but for runs I'll probably need to stick to the dreadmill.
  • UrbanRunner81
    Options
    ahh, the issue I have here is people don't always shovel their sidewalks. I live in the city so it can get icy when people don't shovel. Or on the trails at the park from the snow melting and freezing it becomes quite icy as well. I am just hoping for less snow this winter. One can dream! lol
  • lcnelson
    lcnelson Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I ran 9 miles for the first time yesterday....normally do 7 on Mondays and Wednesdays and 5 on Thursdays and Saturdays.
    I am inadvertently training I suppose. I need to find a half to sign up for, but am worried about running in the cold weather as I have terrible asthma that is cold weather induced.
    I am not sure what my training would be considered as I think I am running too much to properly continue to up my long run days. I have liked reading what everyone else is doing!
  • kath711
    kath711 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Ran 10 today. Read another post last night stating the importance of drinking the night before so did that and had to pee within the first 5 miles. Luckily, I have a park nearby but going back to my normal routine of drinking in the morning only. That was not very comfortable. :)

As far as running in the winter, I try to alternate hills on the treadmill with sprint sessions and then one long run, keeps it fresh. I have a really hard time running in very cold weather, my hands get terribly cold even with gloves on and my nose runs constantly. Much rather run in the heat. However, my run today in STL was in the 90s this morning and got up to 102 this afternoon. Ready for fall!!
  • AngieMcHenry
    AngieMcHenry Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have signed up for a half marathon on November 26, so I would love to have some company in training:) I have run several 5k's, but this will be my first half.
  • summertime_girl
    Options
    DOR today. I know training plans always account for at least one per week, but I feel such guilt when I don't! But no time today, since we're having a cookout for about 50 people later! This weekend is going to be a killer for me, food/drink-wise. I have such a hard time with self-control in social settings, and besides the party today, we have two others tomorrow and Monday.

I'll see if I can at least sneak a little time this morning after I do some cooking to hop on the elliptical. I know I shouldn't run, since truthfully I have a twinge of pain, and my body needs the rest. But I'll definitely run tomorrow and Monday!

Hope everyone has a great weekend :)
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I think the Hal Higdon app is going to be more what I want, personally. The others are time-based, like the C25k was. I am not a fast runner, so I'd prefer something that is distance-based, since at the end of C25k, I wasn't running a full 5k, even though I was doing the whole distance. I'm up to 5-6 miles straight now, but at a pretty slow pace.

There is a marathon and a half marathon plan here.

http://www.bluefinapps.com/#ourapps

I peter Hal Higdon as well. I am running my second half next month! I modify the plan a lot though so it's hardly the same plan anymore, but working on distance versus time has helped me immensely, coupled with speed work once a week....
  • UrbanRunner81
    Options
    Here is my training plan, maybe it is the same?

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/index.shtml

I took a break this week because my foot hurting. I have a 10k at the end of the month so I don't want to hurt it more and not be able to do that race.
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    I'm in! I am following the training plan that was printed in the July (I think) issue of Runner's World.
    My half (2nd!) is on October 2nd in Atlanta. It is part of the 13.1 series.
    My time for my first half (spring in Knoxville, TN) was2:28. I want to beat that time but just finishing will be great.

I ran 12 miles today, alone. I usually run with a group but these last 2 long runs have been alone and they've been good for me. I run 4 days a week, cross train 2 and take a BodyPump class twice a week at my gym. I also throw in some other stuff when time permits.

My race schedule...
    Half marathon #2 - Oct 2nd
    Half marathon #3 - Oct 29th

That's all I have lined up. I will likely run a half marathon in the spring as well. I may do some other local races between now and then as well.
  • kopmom
    kopmom Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am alittle late in the game but have my first 1/2 coming up on Sept 18th (the rock and roll philly 1/2) !!
    I started running last summer and have done one 5K and then a 10 mile race (Broad Street Run) and now the 1/2 Marathon.

Tomorrow is a 9 mile run :)
  • allenpearcy
    allenpearcy Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I converted the 8-week program below into a 10-week program and will complete Week 1 tomorrow. I chose the Beginner program even though I have completed two 5Ks, but the link include versions for Intermediate and Advance runners too.

http://mba.tuck.dartmouth.edu/pages/clubs/triathlon/training/Half_Marathon.htm

I am planning to run a 10K on the week that my long run hits 6 miles. Let me know if anyone wants a copy.