November 2021 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    I haven't had a chance to check the shirts today, but I am pretty sure I donated every last one of them a couple years back with the mindset that any sentiment was better and longer kept in the medals (which have been in storage). I had a habit of wearing the race shirts I liked as regular casual shirts. So I never kept them with the intention of having around for a long time.

Not every race I've done has a medal. But I only keep shirts that either have meaning to me or tech ones that I like.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,779 Member
    Woke up sluggish, unsure if I was going to do a quality session or another easy run. My Garmin said I was fully recovered, but I didn't start off feeling that way, so I opted for the easy run, dreading the thought of lugging another 7 miles.

The first mile was a little leggy, but the weather was perfect and I clocked in at 8:34, on target to run those 7 miles in an hour. Then, a funny thing happened. While managing my heart rate, my second mile clocked in at 8:04. As I fell into the rhythm, I started to feel really good. The third mile came in at 8:09, still at an easy heart rate.

I decided that this could be a quality session after all and ran a 5K at tempo heart rate and, despite some initial struggle in the legs, finished the 3.1 miles in 21:10 (which is 46 seconds slower than my PR, even though this was a tempo run and not even close to an all-out effort).

What a roller coaster. Definitely earned a rest day tomorrow.

I am the same way. Normally I don't feel comfortable with pace until 3 miles are under my belt. My pace is nowhere near yours but I have been known to do a 10K with the first half all over 10:30 splits and the 2nd half all under 9:45 splits. But I think it's nice to just adjust as I go and not force it.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,779 Member
    Nov 1 5.03
    Nov 2 8.23 (added a sprint lunchtime workout due to impending weather)
    Nov 3 5.15 (snuck in before it just started pouring cold rain)
    Nov to date:18.41 miles against 250
    RTY left to go 265.95 (4.585 reqd daily to come in end of year at 2021)

was thinking about getting my booster shot this week but I hate to miss running. Unlike others not sure I could run with a fever. Maybe I can time it to a horrid weather day.
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    @martaindale and @polskagirl01 Sorry to hear about your falls, but glad you are both ok! @polskagirl01, your pictures are so pretty!

I think the oldest race shirt I have is from the 2012 Rock n Roll Savannah (which came up on my memories as 9 years ago today, actually). My friend and I ran it without really knowing how to train. My time was 2:34. When I ran the next year, I shaved off 12 minutes because I actually followed some sort of plan. 😁

Today was run 1/16 from my Garmin plan for the month. It was short - 20 minutes at 11:13-12:13, plus warmup and cooldown.

Training runs completed: 1/16
    Miles completed: 2.31
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,384 Member
    Tramboman wrote: »
    Conversations with my legs (continued): I normally read for about half an hour after I go to bed; it helps to relax my mind. Often when I read, I will put my knees up, with my feet flat on the mattress. That seems to ease my legs as well. Last night while I was reading, my legs asked me what time it was. I said it was 10:00 p.m. They responded, "No it's not -- it's CHARLEY HORSE time!!!" Both legs, along the inside of the thighs from the groin to the knee. I don't have a high threshold for pain, and these hurt so much I was almost nauseous. I've suffered with them for years, but I finally learned how to deal with them -- by putting my legs out straight and doing a leg lift, the pain almost magically went away.
    I share for two reasons: first, if you suffer from charley horses, try the leg lift and see if it gives you relief; and second, the running I was doing all summer was not nearly long or hard enough to keep my legs in shape. I guess an old dog CAN learn new things (eventually).
    @Tramboman - I have also suffered with cramps in my legs, calves, hamstrings, you name it, I have had it likely many times. I have also found that the leg lifts help. The other thing that has really made a difference for me to hold them at bay generally is magnesium. I take 400 mg Magnesium (oxide). before I go to bed at night and it has significantly reduced the number of times I have problems.
    @rheddmobile - I love the St Jude shirts too. They really seem to have quality shirts that fit properly.
    @SummerSkier - I had my booster and had very mild reaction this time around. Just a sore, itchy arm and I think the itchy was from the bandaid - I react to the adhesive. Of course all of our reactions are individual so your results will vary.
    @polskagirl01 - your hike looks awesome! Sorry about the fall but so glad it wasn't too bad.

No run for me yet and tomorrow morning I have a bone density test early. May try to get out for something afterwards but we have lots of people coming for various house related work. The house pictures were taken on Monday and are up on the websites. It is in 'Coming Soon' status until we move back to our house on Monday. There are just a few pieces of furniture left to dispose of and I am hoping to just put them up for free.

While we were gone for the last couple of days I did get out for a hike in the Fiscalini Ranch Preserve - one of my favorite places, with our friends and their pup. This morning we took the pups again for a couple of good walks before getting in the car to drive home, so much traffic!
    Hobbes was so happy to see his friend Molly!
    c082j4hwz018.jpeg
    ud8kixsdpa47.jpeg
    qlpl8ekfiuvx.jpeg
    ohfvrupwes29.jpeg
    8rqu71xfsqse.jpeg
    rnf2gxsk3ozd.jpeg
    After our hike we visited this tiny town and discovered a wonderful glassworks and a winery! We sat outside and enjoyed tasting their wines that were surprisingly good!
    j8zhfexn655m.jpeg