November 2021 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    mshawski wrote: »
    Follow up to my post where you may note my average heartrate was 181 for that 5 miles. My apple watch says I hit 203 during the 4th mile (which was my slowest). I think my apple watch is drunk. LOL.

Are you having problems with cadence lock? My husband was freaking out that his watch said 170s on basically an easy run which felt easy, and I’m almost certain it was cadence lock, since he has no heart rate data for the walk previous and then it jumps up to 160-170 and stays there the entire run. When your cadence is similar to a heart rate and your watch isn’t getting a good heart rate because your watch is loose or something it can mistakenly latch on to your heart rate.

Your cadence is actually slower than that, though, so hmm.
  • rheddmobile
    Options
    BTW my Strava is still being super weird compared to my husband’s- calling miles extremely fast. And this time I think I know why. Top is my husband’s data with first mile highlighted in blue. Bottom is my data, same first “mile” (actually only .67 of a mile according to his data) highlighted in blue. You can see how mine is extremely jaggy. I don’t know why it suddenly started doing this or how to get it to stop, but it’s getting worse! By the end of 10k my data said 8 miles. So that’s a whole third of a mile off per mile.
    nm89217lwi2a.jpeg
  • mshawski
    mshawski Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    @SummerSkier - What chest strap do you use?
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,797 Member
    Options
    I use the Polar as they have extra small. It syncs pretty well with the watch bluetooth most of the time.. but there are others which do and are a little cheaper. Only issue is the strap is too large for me.
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    BTW my Strava is still being super weird compared to my husband’s- calling miles extremely fast. And this time I think I know why. Top is my husband’s data with first mile highlighted in blue. Bottom is my data, same first “mile” (actually only .67 of a mile according to his data) highlighted in blue. You can see how mine is extremely jaggy. I don’t know why it suddenly started doing this or how to get it to stop, but it’s getting worse! By the end of 10k my data said 8 miles. So that’s a whole third of a mile off per mile.
    nm89217lwi2a.jpeg

I have had this happen a few times with strava over the years, with and without a synced watch. It’s usually a GPS tracking issue but it can be on your watch or on strava’ s end. Assuming you are using a watch, make sure the software is updated. Make sure the maps on your phone are updated and that you calibrate them (just the calibration fixed mine once). Check the setting for how exact your GPS tracking is on your watch. Some have an option for more or less frequent as a battery preservation but that can really jack up the tracking. Then restart everything, watch and phone.
    I have worked through this process a few times and can’t always figure out exactly what it is that fixes it, but usually one of these things, coupled with a good reboot does the trick.
  • martaindale
    Options
    @mshaski My watch (garmin vivoactive 4s) gets cadence locked sometimes, especially at higher paces/heart races where those numbers tend to be closer together. If I tighten my watch a bit it helps, but I’m still not convinced it’s actually all that accurate. My heart rate reads high most of the time regardless of effort. I have attempted to use the HR to modify training but have just given up and opted for a perceived effort as I just am not quite to the point of getting a chest strap for that purpose.

@rheddmobile That is some horrible trail etiquette! I’ll admit I get pretty mouthy when people don’t respond to my warnings while running. I know you hear me, you just looked at me. Move over!
    I hope those people made it out of there ok. That lady’s behavior seems really odd.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @polskagirl01 hopefully your tinnitus goes away soon. It is not uncommon after an illness and can be from an inflammatory response or medication or congestion, or any number of things. So what note/pitch is it?

@shanaber I've run on the mall before and it's a really cool place to run. Hopefully, I'll be able to get there - I've packed my running clothes.

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    11/01/21 :::: 1.0 :::: 1.0
    11/02/21 :::: 3.1 :::: 4.1
    11/03/21 :::: 3.2 :::: 7.3
    11/04/21 :::: 2.1 :::: 9.4
    11/05/21 :::: 0.0 :::: 9.4
    11/06/21 :::: 0.0 :::: 9.4
    11/07/21 :::: 0.0 :::: 9.4
    11/08/21 :::: 3.1 :::: 12.6
    11/09/21 :::: 1.8 :::: 14.3
    11/10/21 :::: 3.0 :::: 17.3
    11/11/21 :::: 3.3 :::: 20.6
    11/12/21 :::: 0.0 :::: 20.6
    11/13/21 :::: 3.1 :::: 23.7
    11/14/21 :::: 13.2 :::: 36.9
    11/15/21 :::: 0.0 :::: 36.9
    11/16/21 :::: 3.0 :::: 39.9
    11/17/21 :::: 2.2 :::: 42.0

Treadmill warmup before strength training. I got there a little late and ran a little slower than usual I guess so didn't get the 3 miles I planned.
  • rheddmobile
    Options
    nm89217lwi2a.jpeg

I have had this happen a few times with strava over the years, with and without a synced watch. It’s usually a GPS tracking issue but it can be on your watch or on strava’ s end. Assuming you are using a watch, make sure the software is updated. Make sure the maps on your phone are updated and that you calibrate them (just the calibration fixed mine once). Check the setting for how exact your GPS tracking is on your watch. Some have an option for more or less frequent as a battery preservation but that can really jack up the tracking. Then restart everything, watch and phone.
    I have worked through this process a few times and can’t always figure out exactly what it is that fixes it, but usually one of these things, coupled with a good reboot does the trick.

Thanks so much! The calibration seems to have fixed it! I didn’t know that was a thing.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic it's a "D", but then I was sitting in the kitchen and it sounded different and I figured out it was an "A"... but then I realized that was the fridge 🤣

I ran my "Morning Mile" school drop-off route this morning. Probably could've done more but have a lot to do around the house today and figured it was enough for now.
  • martaindale
    Options
    @rheddmobile Glad that worked for you!

@polskagirl01 Happy to hear you are on the mend. I hope your tinnitus goes away soon. That’s probably annoying.

@Lorelei19 Welcome!
  • martaindale
    Options
    @shanaber I did the same thing to find my last post and copy my mileage. When the thread really gets going it can be several pages back. I really liked that function. :/
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,439 Member
    Options
    @shanaber I did the same thing to find my last post and copy my mileage. When the thread really gets going it can be several pages back. I really liked that function. :/

You can click on your profile picture and scroll down to the Replies link. That will show you a list of your recent replies.
  • martaindale
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »

You can click on your profile picture and scroll down to the Replies link. That will show you a list of your recent replies.

OMG, thank you! I had no idea that was even there. You saved me a lot of time back clicking!