Blood work is telling!

Holy moly what a few great weeks it's been! I'm sharing my experience in the hopes of connecting with others who have similar stories.

A little background, around 9 years ago I really buckled down and joined MFP the first time. I wasn't very overweight, but knew I wanted to feel better in general. I also started running and marathon training. I found it easy to lose what little weight I did need to lose, and maintain a healthy weight as I worked towards my marathon goals.

2 years ago, I started to gain weight and found really difficult to lose it. In fact, 2 years ago today I was running 15 miles for training, yet was weighing 50lbs more than my first marathon. I attributed it to stress, and kept going.

Fast forward to a year ago. My practitioner moved out of state and I was assigned a new one. She was nice, but I never felt very heard. I explained to her my issues, the weight gain, fatigue, etc. She ran a blood panel and checked my thyroid. She told me it was all good, and wrote me an Rx for phentermine. I took that for less than a month after educating myself on what it was.

A month ago, a friend recommended her practitioner, and I was blown away by how tuned in she was to me and my concerns. She ran a TON of different labs, normal CBC panel, thyroid, metabolic, hormonal, and even tested food intolerances.

She found that my Vit. D was way below normal (normal living in Nebraska but explains seasonal depression and fatigue), my testosterone levels were at a 1 (far, FAR below what they should be for a woman my age, also contributes to fatigue), my protein levels were low, my fasting blood sugar was a 179 (at 200 you are considered diabetic), and my A1C was 6%. There was also something about my adrenal glands and cortisol, but I was already so overwhelmed I forgot to clarify beyond the fact that I know this was also something that we are going to get fixed. I am also soy, dairy, and gluten intolerant according to the food sensitivity. On top of all of this there has been major stress with my job, and coming in to colder months I also struggle. For the first time ever, I said out loud that I needed help. I was started on an anti-depressant and anti-anxiety but she only wants me on this until March while I work on getting the rest of my body in check. I am now working with a functional nutritionist who has a degree in therapy and bio-chemistry, and I am also working with a compounding pharmacy which I had never heard of until recently. All of this has came about in the past 3 weeks. I had a few other minor issues going on that can be fixed through changing my eating habits, but I am very much looking forward to happy changes to come!

Right now, my nutritionist only has me tracking Fiber because she has everything else already spelled out for me on her end. If you have gone through something similar I would love to connect for the support!

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    That's very interesting! I hope you'll consider coming back to update on how it pays off for you, over time. Hoping it'll be great!
  • Zoomie402
    Zoomie402 Posts: 260 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    That's very interesting! I hope you'll consider coming back to update on how it pays off for you, over time. Hoping it'll be great!

Thank you. I am hoping so as well. In the short term, I am day 5 into my food overhaul. I have weaned off coffee which is the one thing I was sad to give up, but everything else has been pretty good. I'm not finding it too hard (yet) to get past cravings because I am staying pretty satisfied with the meals and snacks I can have. Also because I have felt bad for so long, I'm just ready to feel better, so it's easier to remind myself that I don't really need the foods that were causing issues.

• SailorSarah311
    SailorSarah311 Posts: 172 Member
    I have an appointment with an allergist next week. I've had stomach issues ever since I was a young one. Have had suspicions that dairy may be the culprit, but after tracking ever little thing I've put into my body I'm now clueless. Hope the allergist can give me more insight like your doctor did. I may need a nutritionist in the future. Glad you got the answers you needed. Makes me feel a glimpse of hope.
  • Zoomie402
    I have an appointment with an allergist next week. I've had stomach issues ever since I was a young one. Have had suspicions that dairy may be the culprit, but after tracking ever little thing I've put into my body I'm now clueless. Hope the allergist can give me more insight like your doctor did. I may need a nutritionist in the future. Glad you got the answers you needed. Makes me feel a glimpse of hope.

Finding someone who will actively listen to what you are telling them in so important. I know that hopeful feeling. As soon as my labs came back it was validating. Getting a plan in place was a great feeling. I hope you get answers!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member

If you're in the US, get a registered dietitian rather than simply a nutritionist. A registered dietitian is a degreed professional. In many states, a person can call themselves a nutritionist with no formal education, or just a weekend certificate class or the like. Not comparable!
  • Zoomie402

If you're in the US, get a registered dietitian rather than simply a nutritionist. A registered dietitian is a degreed professional. In many states, a person can call themselves a nutritionist with no formal education, or just a weekend certificate class or the like. Not comparable!

Yes! This! The lady I am working with has a PhD in bio-chemistry and before that was a psycho-therapist. She has a TON of knowledge beyond what a typical nutritionist will have. Much different than walking into my local grocery store and working with a nutritionist. It really does make a difference.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Zoomie402 wrote: »

Yes! This! The lady I am working with has a PhD in bio-chemistry and before that was a psycho-therapist. She has a TON of knowledge beyond what a typical nutritionist will have. Much different than walking into my local grocery store and working with a nutritionist. It really does make a difference.

My Psychiatrist's first MD was as a DO before becoming a Psychiatrist, so her main focus is mental health but her approach is more of a whole body one.

My Primary Care is an APNP. 20 years as a clinical nurse before getting the extra education and training as a Nurse Practitioner.

They both actually listen to me and address my concerns. My issues are pretty straightforward but I feel like I have a team that I am a part of.

Small world. I have been seeing the Psychiatrist since 2003 and the APNP since 2014. I just found out they have never met each other but the Psy's husband actually did the bulk of the clinical training of the APNP. They are familiar with each other's work and know how both are highly respected in the medical community. BTW, I live in a very large metro area so it isn't like this is a small town connection.

Anyway, OP, I am happy you have found a team you can work with that can give you answers. That goes a long way towards success and getting back to the life and health you want.