Fasting

Options
Was wondering if anyone had any luck with intermittent 24 hour water fasting?

Replies

• Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    I'm not sure exactly what you are asking.

Luck in what way? What are you looking to accomplish with a 24hr fast? If we know what you are aiming for, we might be able to give you feedback.

I do an 18hr water fast 5 days a week, I would do it 7, but that's not safe for women.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    For weight loss?

There are various fasting protocols and groups here on MFP - https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/120735-fasting-diet-intermittent-fasting

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/111854-intermittent-fasting-hflc-16-8-18-6-20-4

If for weight loss - consistent calorie deficit is the key. Pick a calorie reduction method that helps you be consistent.

Weight loss is just the first step. You also want to learn some maintenance strategies along the way.
  • Cthomasbydesign
    Cthomasbydesign Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have been intermittently fasting since late July of this year. I started with the 16:8 protocol and then switched to OMAD in September. In total I've lost 50lbs, but most of that has been due to IF. I really enjoy it. I feel free, energetic and alert. I intend to keep up with it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I've juice-fasted in the past and don't recommend it.

I'm very happy with my current 12:12 fasting regimen.
  • Walkywalkerson
    Walkywalkerson Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I play around with intermittent fasting
    I started with 16/8 with weekends off.
    Then moved on to 20/4 Sunday- Thursday
    It all depends on what's going on in my life - if I have plans to go out with friends or family etc .. I come off plan.
    I occasionally do a 24hr fast.
    At present I'm 30hrs in to a 36hr water fast.
    I feel great.
    I enjoy not having to think about food.
    The hunger is temporary.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    What exactly do you mean by 24 hour water fasting?

I understand intermittent fasting as in 16:8 or whatever windows and I understand OMAD

although neither are for me, if they work for other people that's fine

But could you clarify exactly what the 24 hour water fast means?
  • Walkywalkerson
    Walkywalkerson Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    andielyn wrote: »
    well that sounds horrible.

im cranky if i eat dinner an hour later than normal.

fasting (aside from religious purposes, and i dont know why any god would want you to be hungry but thats between you and your deity of choosing) doesnt hold any magic weight loss secret other than helping create a deficit-which can be done any number of ways. IF works for many, but so does keto, low carb, or any number of other 'diets', or simple calorie counting.

For long term maintenance, how practical is this lifestyle for you? that is the big question.

I thought the same thing...until I tried it. One of the biggest misconceptions is that you are always hungry and white knuckling it, denying oneself. My experience has been the exact opposite. In terms of hunger, I was WAY hungrier "dieting" and logging calories, portion control, etc. I've never done keto or low carb because I like all foods and can't imagine giving up or restricting the foods I eat. I am always content now. Sure, I have hungrier days and guess what I do: eat! Meals are so much more enjoyable and I don't have the cravings I used to have. It might not be magic, but it's pretty darn close for me. It's the easiest thing I've ever done, and this lifestyle will absolutely be maintable and practical for me for the rest of my life.

I agree with you 100%
    Dieting never worked for me either - it was a white knuckle denial situation every single day - which I failed at every time.
    I would lose weight and gain it all back plus more
    I think people panic when they think of going for extended periods of time without food - but once it becomes a routine it's not as difficult as people think.
    It's also not something you HAVE to do all the time - it's OK to take a day off - it educates you to listen to your body.
    It's really helped me to get my cravings and calories under control.
    For me it's a sustainable way of life that has taken the stress out of food.
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    andielyn wrote: »
    well that sounds horrible.

im cranky if i eat dinner an hour later than normal.

fasting (aside from religious purposes, and i dont know why any god would want you to be hungry but thats between you and your deity of choosing) doesnt hold any magic weight loss secret other than helping create a deficit-which can be done any number of ways. IF works for many, but so does keto, low carb, or any number of other 'diets', or simple calorie counting.

For long term maintenance, how practical is this lifestyle for you? that is the big question.

I thought the same thing...until I tried it. One of the biggest misconceptions is that you are always hungry and white knuckling it, denying oneself. My experience has been the exact opposite. In terms of hunger, I was WAY hungrier "dieting" and logging calories, portion control, etc. I've never done keto or low carb because I like all foods and can't imagine giving up or restricting the foods I eat. I am always content now. Sure, I have hungrier days and guess what I do: eat! Meals are so much more enjoyable and I don't have the cravings I used to have. It might not be magic, but it's pretty darn close for me. It's the easiest thing I've ever done, and this lifestyle will absolutely be maintable and practical for me for the rest of my life.

I agree with you 100%
    Dieting never worked for me either - it was a white knuckle denial situation every single day - which I failed at every time.
    I would lose weight and gain it all back plus more
    I think people panic when they think of going for extended periods of time without food - but once it becomes a routine it's not as difficult as people think.
    It's also not something you HAVE to do all the time - it's OK to take a day off - it educates you to listen to your body.
    It's really helped me to get my cravings and calories under control.
    For me it's a sustainable way of life that has taken the stress out of food.

Exactly, I know I got a bunch of "disagrees" on my post, although I don't know what for, so I can't respond to them, but I find IF INFINITELY easier than trying to restrict calories while eating all day, every day.

I had more cravings and felt more restricted when I was eating more frequently than I do now. And it doesn't feel strict at all, it's very comfortable.

You're right, it has totally taken the stress out of food for me. I feel a lot freer in my eating, because now I can order pizza without over eating, or have just a few potato chips, or a tiny serving of ice cream, not half the tub, and feel totally satisfied.

I literally had 3 bites of ice cream the other day and put it back in the freezer even though I had fully intended to finish it.

For the first time in my adult life, moderation actually feels like *enough*, not like deprivation.

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    IF just controls when you eat, not necessarily how much you eat.

I did 16:8 IF for awhile. It didn't help or hurt my maintenance effort. I stopped doing it simply because I found it inconvenient to try to eat on a schedule.

Most days I just eat OMAD but I don't do this everyday.

I recently fasted for 36 hrs (water, both, coffee and tea only) prior to a colonoscopy and quickly lost 3-4# but immediately gained back after I was able to eat again.

FWIW, the ONLY things that have worked for me to lose and maintain my wt over the past 6 yrs have been logging EVERTHING that I eat/drink on MFP and weighing myself naked EVERYDAY in the morning in order to monitor my progress.

Nothing else really matters for wt loss or maintenance IMO.