November 2021 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday @katharmonic !

10k today, planned easy run but it was too cool to run easy. We’ve gone straight from “sweat through a singlet” weather to “wearing sleeves and shivering until you warm up after the first couple miles” weather. Last night we had our first freeze. Oh well, at least all the mosquitoes are dead now!

So, due to being chilly we went out too fast, my usual easy pace is 10:52 like clockwork but first mile was under 10. Took a brief walk break in an attempt to reset, same thing happens when we start up. Just did not feel like running slowly! So we ended up doing a sort of unplanned Galloway method tempo run, fastest 10k since my husband got a Strava account in August - which is not saying much, 1:02 - but that’s pretty fast for walking a good portion of the time. Felt pretty good. Will try for an easy run later this week on trails, since we aren’t doing Chuckalissa this week and should be on easy terrain.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your HM tomorrow @kgirlhart!
    You've been training well so just go out and enjoy the experience 😊
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »

Today was the last run before the Half on Saturday.  The plan said 4 miles in 37 minutes at a 9:17 pace. I ran 4 miles in 40 minutes at a 9:55 pace. It was a really good run and I'm feeling about as ready as I am going to get.

Good luck tomorrow!
  • mshawski
    mshawski Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »

Today was the last run before the Half on Saturday.  The plan said 4 miles in 37 minutes at a 9:17 pace. I ran 4 miles in 40 minutes at a 9:55 pace. It was a really good run and I'm feeling about as ready as I am going to get.

Good luck!
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    First run of the month: 5.1 miles, average pace of 9:55 min per mile with 581 feet of elevation.

Due to work and family commitments I can only run 2-3 times a week. I struggle with this as running is my 'me time' and what I used to switch off from everything.

Got a 7 hour timed trail race on Sunday. Hoping to run ultra marathon distance of 30+ miles. Weather is looking dry and around 13 degrees in termerature, so good conditions.

I hope you enjoy your ultra and get to your goal mileage. You are such a strong runner and have been working on elevation, I have no doubt that you will get there!

• Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Have a great race tomorrow, @kgirlhart !!!
  • rheddmobile
    Options
    Have a good race @kgirlhart! You have earned it!
  • rheddmobile
    Options
    mshawski wrote: »
    Happy belated @katharmonic!

Ran 3 in very brisk 25 degree weather this morning. I may need to lean on this group's sage advice for winter running gear. I haven't gotten it right after all the years on and off running in the winter. Part of the problem is I walk a mile before running (my very achy body dictates I need a walk before running to avoid injury) so I'm either FREEZING during the walk, or comfy during the walk and a sweaty mess during the run. I can't figure out the layering between the two. What's you're favorite winter gear? (Happy to be redirected to a previous convo if it's already been had - and sorry for the repetition if it has :))

ALSO - suggestions for shoes for running on unplowed trails? Is it ok with the right shoes or a straight up femur death sentence?

November mileage:
    R: 10/60

11/1 - 3
    11/3 - 4
    11/5 - 3

Total shoe mileage: 81.5

I also walk before running. My advice is some calisthenics indoors such as leg kicks to get a little warm, then dress to be uncomfortable but not freezing during your walk. But that’s really my tactic for warmer weather than what you’ve got! When it’s below freezing, dress not to suffer during your walk then remove layers. Make sure not to forget your face, especially if there’s a wind!

My favorite chilly weather gear is a decathlon jacket which unfortunately isn’t made anymore. It has zippers and vents all over and is comfortable in a wide range of temperatures.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,960 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    I am so far behind in the thread. Life has just gotten in the way this week. So, I'm not commenting on everyone's posts today. You all are doing some great running.

@rheddmobile Glad to see that you ran the trail you didn't think you ever would and managed to not fall and die. LOL

@polskagirl01 Love the pictures of the your mountain adventure. I'm glad your fall wasn't worse.

@kgirlhart You are going to do great on your HM this weekend!

@shanaber That looks like a wonderful place to run. Glad Hobbes had a good time too. Love that shirt. Congratulations on you 3 years of a monthly HM! That's awesome.

@Tramboman Oh no! I hope you are feeling better today!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,973 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the well wishes @scott6255, @skippygirlsmom, @teresa502, @mshawski, @polskagirl01, @Tramboman, @rheddmobile and @quilteryoyo!

Good luck on your races tomorrow @martaindale and @sweetdaisy13!