Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What’s your pet hate at the gym?

Options

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,056 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    At least you had a good spot to sit between sets. You know, playing on the phone for 15 min to get a really good rest in. :p

While I video recorded all the attractive people, staring non-stop... No, not really, I never do anything of the type, relax oh ye reader with the quick disagree finger! lol
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Here was a pet peeves of mine today: A young woman probably in her early 20's seemed to spend at least half of her time posing for selfies, which I assume she's gonna post on some social media account. She maybe did 5 exercises in total, if that. I know what other people do at the gym shouldn't bother me if it doesn't interfere with me, but it's actually distracting.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    A month or so ago all the squat racks were in use, but the bench press area had a couple openings. So I pulled the bar to the space in front of the bench and proceeded to complete my deadlifts. Gotta do what ya gotta do.

Why do you need a squat rack to deadlift unless you're really doing a rack pull?
  • Mellouk89
    Mellouk89 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Here's a new one for me:
    Bro next to me is doing upright rows in the squat rack.

Couple weeks ago had a different bro curling in the power rack but uprights in an actual squat rack is one I've not seen before.

What if there are 3 squat racks and no one is using them? This is often the case at my gym, particularly late at night.
  • Speakeasy76
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    A month or so ago all the squat racks were in use, but the bench press area had a couple openings. So I pulled the bar to the space in front of the bench and proceeded to complete my deadlifts. Gotta do what ya gotta do.

Why do you need a squat rack to deadlift unless you're really doing a rack pull?

People do deadlifts (actual deadlifts) at the squat racks all the time at my gym. There is typically only extra barbell in the barbell stand and the weight plates are right there with the squat racks and not by the spare barbell. It just makes more sense and a lot more convenient to do deadlifts at one of the 3 squat racks there, and it seems well accepted to do so.
  • Arc2Arc
    Arc2Arc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Walking into the gym with mud/dirt packed into the tread of one’s shoes leading to a dirt parade throughout the gym. This week before I arrived someone used a treadmill that way. It was difficult to believe the amount of dirt and mud spread around came from one person, it may have been more than that. I couldn’t wait to finish my workout and get out of there.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Mellouk89 wrote: »
    Here's a new one for me:

Couple weeks ago had a different bro curling in the power rack but uprights in an actual squat rack is one I've not seen before.

What if there are 3 squat racks and no one is using them? This is often the case at my gym, particularly late at night.

It's like if there are 3 handicapped parking spots and no one is using them.
    There could easily be three people show up to use them while you're still in one.
    And if the other two get filled, now there are none. Will the person curling or doing upright rows now vacate the rack? No, generally they will finish their set, unaware whether someone on the other side of the room is waiting for the equipment.

For instance, in my gym there is one squat rack and one power rack. So when I started my squat warm-ups, I used the power rack because the guy was doing rows in the squat rack.
    Now both racks are full but the guy didn't leave the rack, doing a good 3 more sets. Then as soon as he left it, someone else jumped on it. So it's safe to say that even though all racks were empty when he started, by the time he was done, people were waiting on the rack he was using but didn't need.

And besides, there is absolutely no need for a rack in order to do curls or upright rows. They can be done with just the barbell.
  • Mellouk89
    Mellouk89 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Here's a new one for me:

Good analogy :D
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    The gym where I used to go (I now workout at home) had just two squat racks and guys used them for deadlifts all the time. I guess it's "acceptable," but I found it very frustrating since they could do their deadlifts pretty much anywhere and I could only do my squats in the squat racks.
  • Theoldguy1
    Options

People do deadlifts (actual deadlifts) at the squat racks all the time at my gym. There is typically only extra barbell in the barbell stand and the weight plates are right there with the squat racks and not by the spare barbell. It just makes more sense and a lot more convenient to do deadlifts at one of the 3 squat racks there, and it seems well accepted to do so.

Got it. My gym has a couple lifting platforms and there are multiple extra bars along with empty floorspace for deadlifts with out using the power racks.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I hate when all the plates are mixed up. I HAVE to reorganize them and it eats into my workout time. I also hate when the AC is broken and there's no fan. I don't squat well when it's too hot
  • Theoldguy1
    edited November 2021
    Options
    I hate when all the plates are mixed up. I HAVE to reorganize them and it eats into my workout time. I also hate when the AC is broken and there's no fan. I don't squat well when it's too hot

Best gym I was ever in Metroflex in Arlington TX (Ronnie Coleman's home gym). No A/C, garage doors open, cattle fans running and a mix of Hendrix, hard rock and metal playing on huge speakers.

mswxbmtzezke.png

Weightlifting heaven.

Quad's Gym Calumet City IL is pretty good too. Unfortunately they closed that location, have also been to the one in Chicago.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,328 Member
    Options
    Here's a new one for me:

Good analogy :D

Add in that person taking selfies in front of the equipment, but not actually using it?
    And you’ve got the same jackwagon who, as an able bodied person, would park in the handicapped spot because “I’m just going to be a few minutes” or whatever other baloney they tell themselves to keep from feeling guilty for being a jackwagon person.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,056 Member
    Options

Perhaps I'm using the wrong terminology here. At my gym there are four spots in a row, each with a squat rack to hold the bar in place to get under, three of them with a cushioned area in front of the rack to deaden the sound of plates impacting the floor. It's commonly accepted (in my gym) that you do leg work here, whether squats, deadlifts, or Olympic lifts. I also, if space is available, do BB shrugs here.

Can we do deadlifts elsewhere? Sure, but in general why? The rack holds the bar while you load the weights... the weights are located at either the squat rack or the bench press... and the bench press spots are almost always busy, whereas the squat racks have busy days and vacant days. And if the flooring there is designed to cushion the impact of weights to floor already, it just seems logical to me. Bonus is how the weights there are circular, not octagonal, which makes it slightly easier to position the bar at just the right spot to pull deads.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    I'd love to use the seated cable row machine but I have to wait on these two to get done with the leg press.

(Yes, they are using the cable row machine exclusively as a seat and shelf for their stuff and no they are not new)
  • Theoldguy1
    Options
    I'd love to use the seated cable row machine but I have to wait on these two to get done with the leg press.

(Yes, they are using the cable row machine exclusively as a seat and shelf for their stuff and no they are not new)

Not a problem just tell them to move their *kitten*.
  • Speakeasy76
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Here's an addendum to add to my pet hate above about the young woman taking selfies at the gym. She literally set up a tripod in the middle of the fake turf where people actually exercise and filmed herself doing various mat exercises. I assume this is for some kind of "fitness" social media account. I happened to be doing walking lunges down this turf, and had to make sure I had enough space so as not to run into. I wouldn't be surprised if I got in the background of her videos.

Side note: Yes this is catty, but this isn't someone who I would follow for fitness inspo and prefer my own build and/or there would be other women at the gym I would follow (too skinny for my inspo and I prefer to eat more/lift heavy).
  • margaretgalvin2
    margaretgalvin2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Stinky young men who obviously never wash their gym clothes.
  • ___Soundwave___
    ___Soundwave___ Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Occupying a power rack space to do something like push-ups or bicep curls, when there are specific areas devoted to those things.