For the love of Produce...

Options

Replies

• purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    The hubby tried to suprise me with a mangosteen, but I suspect he actually bought a passion fruit. I googled, and apparently I need to wait until the skin is wrinkly for it to be ripe.
    2csg14v064qt.jpeg

Lilikoi!
    The purple ones especially ❤️
    Like slurping on floral perfumed heaven.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,188 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower kimchi update.

Yesterday was the day I was supposed to jar it up and put it in the fridge. I went to the forest to stomp around and collect mushrooms instead. Today's weather is very high wind and a crapton of rain, so I took advantage of the weather.

So today was the day.

I also jarred up the sauerkraut that was supposed to be done today. Can I just say there's a very interesting set of aromas in my house now. It will continue because a friend gave me a couple Napa cabbages from their farm, and they are presently sitting in a big bowl of salt. I will massage them a little more then cover them with water for a few hours while I go get some other ingredients, then rinse rinse rinse, then mix up the next kimchi. But all that has nothing to do with the cauliflower.

It really was interesting how the smell of the stuff changed every few days. The thing I was most curious about was how it tastes. It's actually pretty good! I will make more again some other time, and I might shut down the fermentation a few days early hoping it will be just a little crisper.

The taste is unique. It's mildly sour, but it's also sweet. Slightly crispy with a lot of ginger and garlic accenting the vegetable. It's still crisp to be honest, and it really isn't fermented too long. Maybe I should just stick to the same recipe. Even though the flavors are the same ones I use for Napa kimchi, the flavor is totally different.

yigsbsb7yvd2.jpg

There's a sauerkraut thread over in a group that I'm going to copy this to; some of those folks might be interested.

• Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Oh.

xu8hqo7xp2g4.jpg

Wow! That looks awesome @mtaratoot !
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,188 Member
    Options
    Well, it's happened again.

I opened my fridge and smelled something that seemed a little off. I had a couple ideas what it might be. Then I realized, no... it's not in the fridge, it's the two gallon jars undergoing a transformation from lactic acid bacteria about five feet away.

Now I just need to eat a pint of sauerkraut in the next two or three weeks to free up a quart jar so I have enough for the purple cabbage sauerkraut and the cauliflower kimchi.
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    rjb8kswmt5ux.jpeg

Loving this pic. Beauties.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,606 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    Found some fungi today. Best find was my friend found a Sparassis (cauliflower mushroom).

We were looking to collect candy caps (Lactarius rubidus). We found SO MANY.

We quickly got as many as we wanted, then my friend found the Sparassis. We dropped all that by the truck and went for a walk. About three miles with little pokes off the trails to find a few chanterelles, several hedgehogs that were too small to pick, and some Tricholoma equestre. These are edible mushrooms that now have an asterisk. I have eaten them before. I took a few; I won't eat pounds a day for several days in a row. They have been known as choice edible mushrooms going back to Roman times, but a few years ago someone died from them. Very specific circumstances.

We even found a gnome under a tree.....

And now your quiz. Can you identify this mushroom?

I stopped eating foraged mushrooms after the hubby went out with a self proclaimed mushroom expert and brought back some stuff that included a dutch fairy ring variety known locally as a honey mushroom. Their efforts were served at a dinner party with 8 people. I was the only person who got sick. But after losing fluids from all orifices for 3 days the charm of foraged mushrooms disappeared.

What we call a honey mushroom is Armillaria mellea. There are lots of look-alike mushrooms. I never eat anything that isn't 100% positive ID. My friend isn't just a self-proclaimed expert; he actually wrote the book on North American truffles. Literally. I am slowly (very slowly) expanding the mushrooms I'm comfortable identifying 100%. I have a new one now. We didn't 100% identify the pictures mushroom, but we are 97.7625% sure of what it was. We'll go back next year with it in mind; it's a choice edible.

It is ALWAYS advised that when you try a mushroom you've never eaten before, you should just eat a little, and don't eat more than one kind you haven't eaten before. There are some mushrooms that cause a reaction in SOME people. There's also the chance something gets picked that ain't quite right. Worse yet, there's routinely a news item around here about immigrants from Asia who go out locally and pick paddy straw mushrooms, but you can't really find those here. What you CAN find is Amanita phalloides The common name is Death Cap. It is a particularly nasty one. It causes your liver to produce a toxin that destroys the liver. By the time it goes to work, your body has already digested the mushroom.

It's also not a bad idea to not eat ALL the mushrooms you bring home. Save a few so just in case you get symptoms you can take them to the doctor with you so they might be able to figure out the toxin and find out if there's anything they can do to help you. For Amanita phalloides, liver transplant may be the only option!

Be careful out there.

I believe what the called a honey mushroom when I lived in the Netherlands that grew in a fairy ring was a species that used to be on the edible list but was later removed. That was the advice I got from another self proclaimed expert who grew up foraging with her dad, much like the first self proclaimed expert. I seemed to react badly to them but no one else at the dinner party got sick and there were 8 people at dinner that night.