Measuring food

Options

Replies

• fheppy
    fheppy Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    i throw everything on the food scale, even the semi-liquid stuff like mousse and sour cream, almost-melted ice cream as well. it is indeed a good investment.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I don't get cups :-/ How big is a cup anyway?

If the ingredients for a recipe are all in Cups - then it doesn't matter what size cup you use - just use the same one.
    Please do not bake anything if that is your understanding. Pancakes and cookies would be a disaster!

I fully support your right to be wrong
    Are you for real? What happens when your recipe calls for 1.5 cups of flour, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, 1.5 tablespoons baking powder and a cup of milk and you use just any old cup for the measurement? The proportions would be all wrong.

I'm waiting to hear the answer too lol....

did you read my post properly <<If the ingredients for a recipe are all in Cups ->> did you see the ALL CUPS? I guess not
    Fair enough. :drinker: Good luck with your measuring 5/1000 of a "cup" of salt.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    All these quotes are a pain.

That's a good point but would screw up my recipe...:tongue:

oh and salt is bad for you ...... whoops different thread
  • andielyn
    andielyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I dont measure food. I overestimate where appropriate.

Ditto. Occasionally I will measure (scooping out dry cereal for example) but I am faced with too many times and circumstances I CAN'T measure and I want to be able to eat appropriately by eyeing it.
  • AdventureFreak
    AdventureFreak Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I use a food scale for measuring solids and measuring cups for liquids. I got my food scale for less than $7.00 including shipping, on ebay.

Food scale it is for everything. Keeps me honest. I use a postal scale actually.
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I weight my foods and my liquids (if water like) - I weight because it means that i don't dirty another container, so i put the glass on the food scales - re-zero then pour in the wine/beer/milk
    i then work out the volume of water (and water like liquids) based on 1kg-1l which is reasonable since the volumetric entry in the database is likely to assume a std room temperature
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I don't get cups :-/ How big is a cup anyway?

If the ingredients for a recipe are all in Cups - then it doesn't matter what size cup you use - just use the same one.
    Please do not bake anything if that is your understanding. Pancakes and cookies would be a disaster!

I fully support your right to be wrong
    Are you for real? What happens when your recipe calls for 1.5 cups of flour, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, 1.5 tablespoons baking powder and a cup of milk and you use just any old cup for the measurement? The proportions would be all wrong.

I'm waiting to hear the answer too lol....

did you read my post properly <<If the ingredients for a recipe are all in Cups ->> did you see the ALL CUPS? I guess not

Well, your recipe would come out all right (probably), but wouldn't your serving sizes and nutrition be off?
  • suzywantsitall
    suzywantsitall Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    The food scale is my best friend for all meals and recipes, also use a white board when baking or cooking. Also went to the dollar store and bought 5 sets of measuring spoons and cups, so when cooking I don't have to stop and wash out the one I have used. Saves a little time.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options

Well, your recipe would come out all right (probably), but wouldn't your serving sizes and nutrition be off?

Depends how many folks you're cooking for
  • kitlynnJ
    kitlynnJ Posts: 78 Member
    Options

^this is a great video showing why you should weigh your food instead of using measuring cups for solids.
  • good4meFL
    good4meFL Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda annoying about measuring, but if it was homemade mashed potatoes, I'd weigh everything separately (potatoes, butter, etc), and then mix them.....then I'd weigh the whole batch (making sure you subtract the bowl), then take out my portion and do the math lol....it's complicated but more accurate.

I use cups and spoons rarely for measuring....usually my scale. Today I made shepherds pie and it was a bunch of measuring and writing down exact amounts. Then I added it all up and divided the pie by 6, and the total calories by 6...time consuming, yes, but makes me happy lol.

I do the same thing on paper and then on the recipe make on here. xD
    Glad I'm not the only one who does this.

I do this but divide by the total weight of the finished product. Then I serve myself XX amount of grams--> therefore XX servings. MFP calculates everything for me. If I say 6 servings, I don't know if my 1 serving is actually 1/6th of the total (other family eats the rest), so I like to do it my way. If you are the only one eating the 6 servings and they are all about the same size, it likely doesn't matter how many calories each serving is.

I am so very glad I found this - I have printed this out and will use this method from here on out when trying to figure out a serving size!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Not really. If a recipe calls for, say, 1 cup of flour and you're using a cup that fits 2 cups, if you log that as 1 cup then you're getting double the calories you think you're eating, no matter how many servings you split that into. There's no way around that unless you actually know how many cups your vessel holds. Which requires you to use a standard size cup somewhere in the process.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

Not really. If a recipe calls for, say, 1 cup of flour and you're using a cup that fits 2 cups, if you log that as 1 cup then you're getting double the calories you think you're eating, no matter how many servings you split that into. There's no way around that unless you actually know how many cups your vessel holds. Which requires you to use a standard size cup somewhere in the process.
    Considering that baking involves chemical reactions (salt, sugar, baking powder, etc.), I must once again call for the rational solution - when you're doing science, use science. Which means we should be weighing instead of measuring in "cups" regardless of their standardization. :tongue:
  • shoba16
    shoba16 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Newbie here and I am confused, When it comes to measuring dry foods (eg basmati rice, pasta) what is the measure of 1 cup. Is it 200gm? 175gm? I find the food I have (mostly south Indian) have there measurements given in cup in myfitnesspsl and not gm. I use a digital measuring scale for food so calculating the food intake in grams will be more helpful for me. Can someone pls clarify for me? TIA :)
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,602 Member
    Options
    shoba16 wrote: »
    Newbie here and I am confused, When it comes to measuring dry foods (eg basmati rice, pasta) what is the measure of 1 cup. Is it 200gm? 175gm? I find the food I have (mostly south Indian) have there measurements given in cup in myfitnesspsl and not gm. I use a digital measuring scale for food so calculating the food intake in grams will be more helpful for me. Can someone pls clarify for me? TIA :)

And this is why we weigh and not measure solids. :) One person's cup is going to be another's 1 1/4 cups depending on their packing of the measuring cup or size of pieces. Weight is constant.

And I can guarantee my tablespoon of sunflower seed butter is going to be much more than 15g.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,132 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    shoba16 wrote: »

And this is why we weigh and not measure solids. :) One person's cup is going to be another's 1 1/4 cups depending on their packing of the measuring cup or size of pieces. Weight is constant.

And I can guarantee my tablespoon of sunflower seed butter is going to be much more than 15g.

To add: if you can only enter the food item in volume measurements, you need to search for a different food database entry that does allow you to log in weight.
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I use a scale - although I only log very loosely now as I have been happily maintaining for several years. Cuts, spoons etc are very inaccurate.
  • LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Food scale cuts way back on dishes too! I put my plate on the scale. Then I measure out an item. Hit zero. Measure the next item. Hit zero. Continue. You can quickly run out of tablespoon measures or 1/2 cups! Way easier for me. Tedious? Yes, but less so than with measuring devices.

Have you ever tried to measure a 1/2 cup serving of sticky rice?!? It's actually comical. Just weight it!
  • LiveOnceBeHappy
    Options
    Food scale cuts way back on dishes too! I put my plate on the scale. Then I measure out an item. Hit zero. Measure the next item. Hit zero. Continue. You can quickly run out of tablespoon measures or 1/2 cups! Way easier for me. Tedious? Yes, but less so than with measuring devices.

Have you ever tried to measure a 1/2 cup serving of sticky rice?!? It's actually comical. Just weight it!
  • LiveOnceBeHappy
    Options