Measuring food

Options
124»

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    Food scale cuts way back on dishes too! I put my plate on the scale. Then I measure out an item. Hit zero. Measure the next item. Hit zero. Continue. You can quickly run out of tablespoon measures or 1/2 cups! Way easier for me. Tedious? Yes, but less so than with measuring devices.

Have you ever tried to measure a 1/2 cup serving of sticky rice?!? It's actually comical. Just weight it!

My problem with weighing/measuring sticky rice would be seeing a fun, little clump and thinking "that should be in my mouth" and suddenly it is and did the scale or measuring cup stop me? No!

Traitors. :(
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options

When I weigh out cooked rice, for example, I put a bowl of the appropriate size (I usually do a 2 ounce portion and that will fit with spare in a 1-cup plastic storage bowl) on the food scale, zero it out, and then just carefully spoon in rice until it says 2 ounces.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Rather than zero the plate, I put the whole container/serving plate/pot on the scale and zero for things that stick to the spoon, then record the negative number. This way, what "should be in my mouth" is happily in my mouth without a second thought.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options

Unfortunately, the green check marks in the MFP database are used for both USER-created entries and ADMIN-created entries that MFP pulled from the USDA database. A green check mark for USER-created entries just means enough people have upvoted the entry - it is not necessarily correct.

To find ADMIN entries for whole foods, I get the syntax from the USDA database and paste that into MFP. All ADMIN entries from the USDA will have weights as an option BUT there is a glitch whereby sometimes 1g is the option but the values are actually for 100g. This is pretty easy to spot though, as when added the calories are 100x more than is reasonable.

https://fdc.nal.usda.gov

Use the “SR Legacy” tab - that seems to be what MFP used to pull in entries. 

Note: any MFP entry that includes "USDA" was USER entered.