how do you stay motivated with a large goal

Options

Replies

• Walkywalkerson
    Walkywalkerson Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Do you think your overly strict plan is sustainable for maintenence @revinso?
    Because as soon as you stop doing what you're doing you will gain the weight back if you don't learn to moderate rather than restrict.
    Like others have said - I think it's important to listen to others that are already at maintenance and take their ideas and advice on board.
  • coryhart4389
    coryhart4389 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    revinso wrote: »
    I disagree with a lot of the experience here. I think it is necessary to be very disciplined in order to succeed. I simply do not want to be fat. I have worked out home made meals, accurately calorie calculated, in sufficient variety to keep me interested, and I stick to those: no excuses. "Treats" are just lapses, and I simply stopped eating bread, cakes, added sugar, fruit juices, biscuits, sweets etc from day one. Zero alcohol from day one. Very limited potatoes and pasta within the meal plan, and no more than once a week. No manufactured food - I make everything and weigh everything. Moderate exercise 5 days out of 7. Daily weighing first thing. Weekly blood sugar and blood pressure checks and waist and neck and bicep measurement checks. I stay very hydrated, with cold water. There is no point just losing water in a diet. Body mass scales (very cheap now) help with a rough check on this.

This method works, however IMO, it’s not sustainable in maintaining. I have lasted about 4 years at best, but was playing very competitive basketball in Miami. In my mid forties my body starting breaking down I couldn’t sustain my activity and level of play, and I gained weight back. This time in my early 50s I’m at maintenance after losing 60 lbs, however I have a goal of playing professional Pickleball, without this motivation I would not be able to continue with this approach. Listen to successful people, live is short…..are you really going to give up sugar, a casual drink, or a slice of pizza until your 6 feet under ground. Not a way to live, IMO!

• wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    revinso wrote: »
    I disagree with a lot of the experience here. I think it is necessary to be very disciplined in order to succeed. I simply do not want to be fat. I have worked out home made meals, accurately calorie calculated, in sufficient variety to keep me interested, and I stick to those: no excuses. "Treats" are just lapses, and I simply stopped eating bread, cakes, added sugar, fruit juices, biscuits, sweets etc from day one. Zero alcohol from day one. Very limited potatoes and pasta within the meal plan, and no more than once a week. No manufactured food - I make everything and weigh everything. Moderate exercise 5 days out of 7. Daily weighing first thing. Weekly blood sugar and blood pressure checks and waist and neck and bicep measurement checks. I stay very hydrated, with cold water. There is no point just losing water in a diet. Body mass scales (very cheap now) help with a rough check on this.

This method works, however IMO, it’s not sustainable in maintaining. I have lasted about 4 years at best, but was playing very competitive basketball in Miami. In my mid forties my body starting breaking down I couldn’t sustain my activity and level of play, and I gained weight back. This time in my early 50s I’m at maintenance after losing 60 lbs, however I have a goal of playing professional Pickleball, without this motivation I would not be able to continue with this approach. Listen to successful people, live is short…..are you really going to give up sugar, a casual drink, or a slice of pizza until your 6 feet under ground. Not a way to live, IMO!

And this is the crux of it for me.

I've said before that I would rather still be obese than never eat another cookie - and I mean it - but it isn't literally the cookie (or the pizza, or a beer or whatever thing). What is IS however is the recognition that food and sharing it is steeped into our species as... a BIG part of bonding and experiences for us as a whole species. Yeah, the foods vary by culture but the act of sharing food is a very, very HUMAN thing.

What I'm not going to give up is meeting my friends once a month to grab a burger. I'm not going to give up making a batch of Christmas cookies with my now grown children. I'm not going to refuse the food my elderly mother makes me the few times a year I see her, because it's got lots of butter and calories. I'm not going to not make s'mores around a campfire on our summer cabin rental.

I will BALANCE those things - skip the fries with the burger, send most of the cookies to work with the kids or husband, make a salad for us to share along with the food she made for me, up my activity when I'm at the cabin - with other options but get all strict and totally stop them or make my weight management plan rely on excluding myself from those sorts of things?

OH HECK NO.

Being a good weight adds a lot to my quality of life. I ride, I run, I paddleboard, I play all sorts of sports with dogs. That was the idea.

What was not the idea was reducing my quality of life and my time with people I love by making what I eat all the time some restrictive experience that leads to me not being totally present with people I love because I'm preoccupied by how many calories I'm consuming or burning during these relative limited periods of time.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a ton to lose, but lost 40 Lbs over the course of about 9 months. I actually never had a particular number in mind as a goal weight or Lbs to lose...I figured I'd just know when I got there. I didn't really focus a lot on the scale but rather focused on things like incorporating more exercise into my life and getting better nutrition, etc. My primary concerns were health related as I had a lot of bad bloodwork and was seeing my Dr. every 3 months over the course of that first year. My primary objective and motivation was to see improvement on that front for every visit. In doing the things I needed to do to improve my health, weight loss happened.

I also realized early on that just getting some weight off wasn't going to be the end of anything. If I wanted to maintain my health I would need to continue to do the same things I was doing while losing weight in maintenance. I more or less maintained my weight from April 2013 right up until the pandemic hit. Unfortunately I lost site of a lot of things and put on 20 Lbs since March of 2020. My physical in August also confirmed that my blood work, while not as bad as it was initially is starting to not look great. I have an appointment for a new GP at the end of January, so at minimum I want to see an improvement bloodwork wise, so I've been back in the bike saddle and in the weight room regularly again and eating better. I've lost a couple of Lbs but really going to be watching my diet more closely starting next week. I figure it'll take me a good 4-5 months to get back to where I was weight wise, but I'm hopeful that I can get my health markers in order faster.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,814 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options

Would that be a singing dog I see there, Callsit?

our worst best one was a frog that croaked Christmas carols

😍

• wunderkindking
    Options

I'm eating a Reese's cup for dinner.

It's fine though I hit my protein and fat targets already and saved the calories. It's fine. (Guac + tuna with tortilla chips for easy lunch. Do that. 10/10 highly recommend)

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

i want a peanut butter cup for dinner LOL

it just wouldnt fill me up for long :/

hate the new format

@springlering62 it is the singing dog (do you follow me on IG? its on there) bestie and I are ... modifying the penguins to be CHICKENS! so it will be holly jolly and her chicks!

we have way too much time on our hands, apparently LOL

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,814 Member
    Options

@callsitlikeiseeit

i assume you are familiar with this little gem?

https://youtu.be/bRxhgxH6FUI

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

LMAO no, i hadn't seen that incarnation of 'Billy' errrr 'Alexa' 😂

• revinso
    revinso Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi guys. I don't check in every day, so just caught up. Some of the reaction to my slightly provocative post was expected. In my case, as I am the house cook and shopper, I don't see a problem with maintaining weight when I get to my target. Part of the reason for this is that for most of my life I was not overweight, and only put weight on through gluttony to be frank when a serious accident forced me to stop competitive rowing for a couple of years but I did not cut the portion sizes back.

So I will just go back to what I did before - same foods and exercise. I am not really a cake and sweets person, and I hardly ever make things like pizza, so I do not feel I will lose out - I am eating the foods I like right now, just less. However, my biggest motivator is my brother. He is 5 years younger than me, eventually reached 28 stone (though he denied that) and had a catastrophic stroke. I have never been anywhere near his weight (and I am quite a bit taller) but the path to obesity is a scary one for me because of him.

The reason I posted was largely because of my experience in the health group I go to where there is a clear pattern of long term failure cycles, and a tendency not to set proper targets and stick to them. Almost all of the participants make excuses for their frequent lapses. They expect to fail and many of them do. For some reason I find this very frustrating. To me weight loss and fitness building is a straightforward scientific thing. The coaches know perfectly well pretty much from day 1 who will achieve their targets, but the process is non-interventionist, so it is educational rather than prescriptive and people are not forced (or shamed) to follow any regime.

My leisure background in competitive amateur sport - rowing and then equestrian sports then motorcycle sports, meant that my weight and fitness was a factor that I always had to monitor. I'll be fine, but the experience of being forced to lose weight, look at calorie counting and monitor nutrition, has been very interesting as I have never had the need to do this before to any significant degree. The psychology of it is in many ways even more interesting.
  • elaroch05
    elaroch05 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I agree with others...it's not about motivation, it's about habits. I'll further it by saying: make the habits easy for you (meaning: change your environment). The more difficult something is, the harder it is to make it stick. We become overweight because the habits we have created lead to weight gain. An example of environment change: if you put your fruit/veggies where you can't see them and grab them, but leave cookies in an easy to see place, what are you going to grab? Overtime, that becomes a habit. Put a bowl of fruit on the counter and eventually, that becomes the habit. Little things added up make a BIG difference (like 1% changes...things so simple that they don't look like they'll make a difference). Essentially, make your life more healthy, and the changes will follow. It won't be overnight, just like gaining weight doesn't happen overnight, but eventually, it just will be...does that make sense?
  • revinso
    revinso Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Some good thoughts there Coblujay. Photos are a nice idea, so I will copy that. Regarding exercise, I found the exercise part of MFP too difficult to make work for me, and it seems to be a means of giving me permission to eat more. So I do the exercise (in my case rowing machine and weights 5 days a week) plus whatever physical work I do at home, and ignore it for calorie purposes. The effect is to increase my deficit obviously, but as long as I feel OK I treat this as fine.

Getting the crap out of the house is also ideal. I can't do that as my wife does like her cakes and biscuits, so I just have to live with that. My solution so far is to drink water or eat an apple if I feel like a snack or if she has sweets or something. Wish there was some other inspiring gap filler I could think of.
  • wunderkindking
    edited November 2021
    Options
    The big problem with ignoring the exercise is that at some point you are going to want to stop losing weight. If you don't know what your actual burn from exercise is, that's going to be a problem. You'd do well to figure it out now, and account for it - even if it's just doing the math backward to figure out how much it's giving you and to keep a consistent deficit WITH EXERCISE INCLUDED.

Because again, you're not doing something short term. This is a forever thing. Which means you're GOING to need to be able to figure out how to eat to maintain your weight and fuel yourself when you're ready to STOP loss.