Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What amount of money is a “livable wage”?

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,521 Member
    Options
    So subjective because people have different ideas of "livable". Do you HAVE to have a home? Do you need a TV?
    I know someone who lives off $15,000 a year cause they live in a one bedroom rent and only eats ramen and vegetables regularly. No luxuries and works out daily.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    In California, 75K, but 100k is much better. It is expensive here.

For example, I live in an average sized house in my neighborhood and my house payment and property taxes are $2700 a month, gas is $5 a gallon, I take quick showers and my water bill is $220 a month despite having no pool, and if I didn’t have solar my electric bill would be $500 a month like some of my neighbors.

I’m not living a luxury life either. My house is still mostly unfurnished, I drive a 12 year old car, and dont eat at fancy places. I don’t shop much either.

It is insane the cost of living here. Most people can’t afford their own place. A lot of adults live with their parents forever. Sometimes two families live in a single family home. When I was in college and after, 4 of us girls rented a tiny two bedroom apartment. I couldn’t afford my own apartment until after I became a physician assistant at age 28. I don’t live in Los Angeles either. I live an hour outside which is more *affordable*. If I lived in LA, I could not afford a home on my 6 figure wages. Nope. If I did happen to find one, it would be a 100 year old shack that’s falling apart.

Why do I stay? Family and weather. I could not tolerate a place that snowed or froze or a place with high humidity.

A huge factor in why things are so unaffordable is the high taxes. Our government sucks.

The total tax burden ($ per capita or as a % of income) is generally high in CA, we are around #8 to #10 nationally, but I wouldn't call it out as the primary cause of the high costs of living. The biggest pain point is the housing costs. In my area, a two bedroom apartment is $2500 and up and the median housing cost is now over $750k.

The DC metro area was even worse for housing costs and you didn't even get the benefit of the great year round weather.

Source: https://wallethub.com/edu/states-with-highest-lowest-tax-burden/20494
    https://taxfoundation.org/publications/state-local-tax-burden-rankings/#Burdens
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    In California, 75K, but 100k is much better. It is expensive here.

For example, I live in an average sized house in my neighborhood and my house payment and property taxes are $2700 a month, gas is $5 a gallon, I take quick showers and my water bill is $220 a month despite having no pool, and if I didn’t have solar my electric bill would be $500 a month like some of my neighbors.

I’m not living a luxury life either. My house is still mostly unfurnished, I drive a 12 year old car, and dont eat at fancy places. I don’t shop much either.

It is insane the cost of living here. Most people can’t afford their own place. A lot of adults live with their parents forever. Sometimes two families live in a single family home. When I was in college and after, 4 of us girls rented a tiny two bedroom apartment. I couldn’t afford my own apartment until after I became a physician assistant at age 28. I don’t live in Los Angeles either. I live an hour outside which is more *affordable*. If I lived in LA, I could not afford a home on my 6 figure wages. Nope. If I did happen to find one, it would be a 100 year old shack that’s falling apart.

Why do I stay? Family and weather. I could not tolerate a place that snowed or froze or a place with high humidity.

A huge factor in why things are so unaffordable is the high taxes. Our government sucks.

The total tax burden ($ per capita or as a % of income) is generally high in CA, we are around #8 to #10 nationally, but I wouldn't call it out as the primary cause of the high costs of living. The biggest pain point is the housing costs. In my area, a two bedroom apartment is $2500 and up and the median housing cost is now over $750k.

The DC metro area was even worse for housing costs and you didn't even get the benefit of the great year round weather.

Source: https://wallethub.com/edu/states-with-highest-lowest-tax-burden/20494
    https://taxfoundation.org/publications/state-local-tax-burden-rankings/#Burdens

Yes, housing costs are an issue but so are taxes. My friends in Florida and Texas take home an extra 10% per year. Our state taxes are very high not to mention the high taxes on gas and other things. Everything is more expensive including food.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    So subjective because people have different ideas of "livable". Do you HAVE to have a home? Do you need a TV?
    I know someone who lives off $15,000 a year cause they live in a one bedroom rent and only eats ramen and vegetables regularly. No luxuries and works out daily.

This is too complicated
    I can get a 40" TV for under $200 or spend $3,000 on a 77" TV. Both give me equal access to entertainment and news.
    Do I pack my lunch or eat out frequently?
    Is my car 10k used or a $35k new purchase? Both can be reliable transport.
    Do I go to 24hr Fitness, or use a deluxe gym with a personal trainer. Both can keep you fit.
    Do I car camp or fly to Cabo for my 2 wk vacation? Both work as a break/vacation.

For the same basic standard of living, our expectations/habits greatly impact how much $$ is required to get there.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Liveable or comfortable?

Where I live, 1500/month net, canadian dollars, would be more than enough to live for a single person: you can find a decent apartment at ~700 rent, public transport is ~100 a month and good enough not to need a car, healthcare is free and that leaves 700 for bills, food and miscellaneous expenses. You could probably trim that down to 1200 and still survive.

As for living comfortably, that's much more subjective.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    "Liveable" as defined by most of us with internet access, is absolutely spoiled to much of the world. So take your cost of living adjusted standard, and reduce it in every way, shape and form to basic food, clothing and shelter. Even in a high cost of living area for many people it would be a LOT less than people think.

I think even in developed countries the standards of wants vs needs has changed quite a bit over the years. We are spoiled to the point we forget that we don't NEED cell phones, or a lot of other things, we just WANT them. But you can hear people complain about bills when they drop a few weeks pay on a cell phone without a second thought.

As for us, it would be a fairly low number. We both have essentially free health insurance due to military service, and have had no mortgage for quite a while. If I took out all the wants, we could probably live on less than $1,000 a month, keeping all the creature comforts we have now.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    I remember seeing photos of all the possessions in a person's home placed outside. In some countries that'd be merely cooking utensils, few clothes. In the U.S. that'd be incredibly different.

Just something to think about. Our wants vs. our basic needs.
  • Cindy01Louisiana
    Cindy01Louisiana Posts: 302 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    For ME and me alone~
    Livable: $75,000 per year
    Life is good: $130,000
    Fantasy: $250,000+
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Living wage in my area has been calculated to be $22/hr. Average house price is $1.1 million, average rent for a one bedroom apartment is about $1800/month.
    It really depends where you live.
  • bellababy9031
    bellababy9031 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Ask an average family in Haiti, then decide if you really need more.
  • bellababy9031
    Options

No, WE SUCK, because we sit back and let the government do what it does.
  • bellababy9031
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Ask an average family in Haiti, then decide if you really need more.

livable is different than mere survival, and the US is one of the wealthiest countries in the world GDP per capita. The USA is not a third world country so there really isn't a comparison to be made between a family in Haiti and a family living in the US. A livable wage in Haiti would be completely different than livable wage in the US.

Depends on how you live.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    (...) Again, a survival wage is different than a livable wage. Average rent here is $1,117 for a small apartment. Go much lower than that and you're looking in the ghetto and bound to get killed.
    That last sentence feels very exotic to me...

Anyway, the reason many itt have focused on survival is that it's fairly objective: shelter, food, clothing and a modicum of creature comforts to maintain mental and physical health.

When you go beyond that, things quickly become quite subjective: for instance, and to echo what SuzySunshine said, I would consider owning a computer and having internet access almost a necessity as it's necessary for my job and any I'd care to do, even just to apply for, whereas I wouldn't see owning a car as any sort of priority... I'm pretty sure many would see it otherwise.