Need a good entertaining read please:)

Options
I'm looking for a good book or two to bring with me on my trip to Thailand:) Mainly looking for a book that will keep me entertained for a good portion of the longest part of the flight (a god awful 13 hours!). So need suggestions for an epic entertaining read (not like pillars of the earth;) Any suggestions?

Edited to add that I love pretty much everything although sort of over the vampire craze that has been going around;) favorite books are anything by Jodi piccolt, hunger games series, intensity by dean koontz, Tuesday's with morrie, life of pi and a child called it.

Replies

• sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I'm reading some Ruth Rendell books at the moment. Always thought they were a bit old fashioned but am finding them quite entertaining. Have you got an eReader (Kobo, Kindle etc)? Makes it so much easier to carry plenty of books without the weight.
  • avaloneternal
    Options
    Anything by Jodi Picoult. She is my absolute favorite author. My favorite is My Sister's Keeper (don't be misled if you watched the movie, the book is a million times better, they changed the ending in the movie).
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Lamb, by Christopher Moore, had me falling off the couch laughing. About 200ish pages (not sure if that will last the flight or not) but well worth it. Unless you are seriously religious, in which case you will likely be offended, as it is very irreverent.

Also, the Sigma Force series by James Rollins is a real page turner. There are about 8ish books in it, which should be enough to last a flight, even a long one. And you're so entertained you don't even notice a couple of hours going by.
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    What sort of book do you like to read? Your favorite author?

I totally second "Lamb" as it is pretty hilarious.
  • estceleste
    Options
    Have you read Shantaram? Such an awesome read! HUGE book but worth it!
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    A Game of Thrones - George RR Martin
    The Stand - Stephen King

Both awesome and long!
  • winterjade
    winterjade Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    OOO I just started a book, detective series, the first one (the one I am reading) is The Killing Floor - Author Lee Child. I am about 1/4 way through already and I started on Tuesday! Its just grabbed me in and such a great read, I would recommend to everyone!
  • karenx30
    Options
    "Me Talk Pretty One Day" By David Sedaris is Hi-larious . Well, anything by him is a riot.
  • cupcakecarnivore
    Options
    A Game of Thrones - George RR Martin
    The Stand - Stephen King

Both awesome and long!

Too funny about The Stand.....I'm going through books in my basement and just realized I bought the stand years ago but never read it because it seemed way to long! Seems promising though:)
  • LuluGirl140
    LuluGirl140 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Anything by Jodi Picoult. She is my absolute favorite author. My favorite is My Sister's Keeper (don't be misled if you watched the movie, the book is a million times better, they changed the ending in the movie).

Love her!! I've read a bunch of her books, and I also thought the book ended SO much better than the movie!!!
  • cupcakecarnivore
    Options
    Lamb, by Christopher Moore, had me falling off the couch laughing. About 200ish pages (not sure if that will last the flight or not) but well worth it. Unless you are seriously religious, in which case you will likely be offended, as it is very irreverent.

Also, the Sigma Force series by James Rollins is a real page turner. There are about 8ish books in it, which should be enough to last a flight, even a long one. And you're so entertained you don't even notice a couple of hours going by.

Hmmmmm both those will definitely be purchased:) I do have a kindle, so keep the suggestions coming:)
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    If you like sci-fi/fantasty, Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. It's my fave and extremely long (13th book comes out in 2 months).
  • MelC2564
    MelC2564 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Anything by Dennis Lehane!
  • smileyk003
    smileyk003 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I loved "Kite Runner" and "A Thousand Splendid Suns" By Khaled Hussein - Not exactly wamr fuzzy books but really good reads.
    I have heard that "The Help" By Kathryn Stockett is good but have no yet read myself
    "The Bronze Horseman" (Author forgotton sorry) is a gorgeous book, but quite a big read.

Kylie.
  • brianward81
    brianward81 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    The Stand is VERY long, but very good too.

I also enjoy books by Kurt Vonnegut. His books are weird, funny and thought provoking to say the least.

Or Chuck Palahniuk; he wrote Fight Club (what the movie is based on) plus some other disturbing but great books such as Haunted and Choke. These are smaller books but very entertaining.

And I can vouch for the first 3 Wheel of Time books, awesome. I'll eventually get around to reading more but wanted a change from the fantasy genre for a while.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    The Help was actually really good, also The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" trilogy is also very good. Um....animal farm, but read it all the way to the end, the last paragraph is fantastic. Same with Life of Pi, I freakin' love those books. Oh man I could go on forever. Inbox me if you want more suggestions.
  • JujiBean
    Options
    Bump. I'm always looking for a good read for my Kindle, but I have strange tastes. (Sci fi and killing both rate right up there!)

And, if Oprah recommends it, I avoid it!
  • StrengthIDidntKnow
    Options
    The Ugly Series by Scott Westerfeld (Young Adult)

Anything by Richelle Mead. The Georgina Kincaid series is about the every day adventures of a succubus and The Dark Swan series is about a Shaman. Her young adult series was good but based on vampires.
  • maryzcontrary
    Options
    Lonesome Dove (really!), Big Girl by Danielle Steel (short, fun read), The Stand (did we already say that? haha - it's Kings best book, I think), any of Phillipa Gregory's --- Diary of Cleopatra, by Margaret George (her books are super long and interesting), Honolulu (can't remember the author).....
  • goatruns
    Options

Oh! Have you read A Dirty Job? ALL his books are funny, Fool is fantastic.

Also I Am Not A Serial Killer and the two after. They are about a fifteen year old sociopath who is trying not to become a serial killer, very wry and Koontz like with the random weirdness but not so heavy on the God.