Where do you find YOUR inspiration?

Options
What drives you to work out, lose weight or gain muscle? I know its not easy and takes a lot of perseverance. What is your motivation? Where do you find your inspiration?

Replies

• sargemarcori
    sargemarcori Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I *know* I need to get healthier, I *know* I want to feel better, but i can always manage to put off starting. Right now what's helping is that I'm going to New Zealand and Australia in ten months. I want to NOT be miserable in a seat I barely fit all the way there and back, AND i want to do *absolutely everything* while I'm there! So the extra weight has got to go.

I think the second I get home, I'll start planning my next trip, so I won't find an excuse to gain it all back!
  • Ketomoijo
    Ketomoijo Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I don’t like the restrictions my body is putting on me physically by malfunctioning. There’s things I need to do things I still want to do without restrictions.
    More importantly I have family depending on me to be around as long as possible and to be as healthy as possible to be there for them.

Plus I want to look attractive
  • dblirondog
    dblirondog Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I *know* I need to get healthier, I *know* I want to feel better, but i can always manage to put off starting. Right now what's helping is that I'm going to New Zealand and Australia in ten months. I want to NOT be miserable in a seat I barely fit all the way there and back, AND i want to do *absolutely everything* while I'm there! So the extra weight has got to go.

I think the second I get home, I'll start planning my next trip, so I won't find an excuse to gain it all back!

That a fantastic goal! And that sounds like a fun trip. Now you just need an action plan, but I'm sure you're rockin it! How cool!
  • dblirondog
    Options
    Ketomoijo wrote: »
    I don’t like the restrictions my body is putting on me physically by malfunctioning. There’s things I need to do things I still want to do without restrictions.
    More importantly I have family depending on me to be around as long as possible and to be as healthy as possible to be there for them.

Plus I want to look attractive

I can relate to that. Family is so important and we don't get a second go around as far as I know, at least not in this life. You have some pretty strong reasons! Love it!
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,128 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    I'm not sure any particular inspiration is driving me or drove me in the past. What drives me is... myself and my own accomplishments?

I started out obese, no health issues but general discomfort and being unhappy with the way I looked. I saw Facebook ads for Noom, decided to give it go, decided after a week it wasn't for me and then looked for an alternative to track my food, which is when I joined MFP.
    I had no particular motivation or inspiration driving me, I didn't even really believe I could lose weight. I just tought "what the heck, let's give it a shot". The real 'drive' came after I noticed I was losing weight, and without much effort or suffering too. But even then, most of what I did was out of habit, just being consistent. I never made it hard on myself by being overly restrictive (I chose a slow rate of loss and ate all my usual foods, in more appropriate quantities) and I did exercise I enjoyed.

It was only after losing 70lbs that I realised how much better I felt with all that weight off, combined with my increased fitness level from exercising. To be able to hike with my BF and not be holding him back. To be able to take several flights of stairs and not be gasping for breath afterwards. That's what drives me to KEEP it off. And also what drives me now to continue working out.

I no longer have the same motivation of no longer 'being the fattest one', no longer needing to shop in plus size stores, etc. I'm a perfectly normal weight now, with a BMI of just under 23. I could stop now. I feel confident now (at least while dressed :tongue: ). But after all that effort, I don't want to be average. I want to be fit and I want my body to reflect that. And that's what pushes me to still work on lowering my bodyfat now and keep on pushing my physical limits to become faster/stronger/...
    That's on top of the simple fact that exercising and paying attention to my food intake has just become a habit. Heck, I had a slight injury recently and not being able to run made me jittery. I wasn't like that before, I can assure you :D
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Pain. In the early part of lockdown, anxiety and isolation helped me poof up almost 25 lbs in 4 months. That summer, my hip failed me at mile 3 of a 5-mile remote mountain hike. Nothing to do but suck it up and get off that mountain. Nearly couldn't walk at all the next two weeks.

But that flipped my switch
    I knew I had to take off that poof weight or be grounded on the flatlands.

Six months, 30 lbs, and a lot of self-examination and self-coaching later, I realized another switch had flipped: where once weighing and logging my food was some sort of chore-- a punishment for being a bad person with serious emotional eating problems- I discovered those practices had become calming self-care rituals and emotional/ stress management practices.
  • danikat15
    danikat15 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    My knees! When my knees would feel like they were going to snap if I had to go from a kneeling position to standing... It killed me!

We also bought a camper this year and have been on several camping trips. We have a big one planned out to Colorado this summer to see my brother and I want so badly to participate in the hiking and biking her does out there!
  • dblirondog
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    I'm not sure any particular inspiration is driving me or drove me in the past. What drives me is... myself and my own accomplishments?

I started out obese, no health issues but general discomfort and being unhappy with the way I looked. I saw Facebook ads for Noom, decided to give it go, decided after a week it wasn't for me and then looked for an alternative to track my food, which is when I joined MFP.
    I had no particular motivation or inspiration driving me, I didn't even really believe I could lose weight. I just tought "what the heck, let's give it a shot". The real 'drive' came after I noticed I was losing weight, and without much effort or suffering too. But even then, most of what I did was out of habit, just being consistent. I never made it hard on myself by being overly restrictive (I chose a slow rate of loss and ate all my usual foods, in more appropriate quantities) and I did exercise I enjoyed.

It was only after losing 70lbs that I realised how much better I felt with all that weight off, combined with my increased fitness level from exercising. To be able to hike with my BF and not be holding him back. To be able to take several flights of stairs and not be gasping for breath afterwards. That's what drives me to KEEP it off. And also what drives me now to continue working out.

I no longer have the same motivation of no longer 'being the fattest one', no longer needing to shop in plus size stores, etc. I'm a perfectly normal weight now, with a BMI of just under 23. I could stop now. I feel confident now (at least while dressed :tongue: ). But after all that effort, I don't want to be average. I want to be fit and I want my body to reflect that. And that's what pushes me to still work on lowering my bodyfat now and keep on pushing my physical limits to become faster/stronger/...
    That's on top of the simple fact that exercising and paying attention to my food intake has just become a habit. Heck, I had a slight injury recently and not being able to run made me jittery. I wasn't like that before, I can assure you :D

What an amazing story! You should be so damn proud of yourself for making that choice! That is super inspirational! Thank you for sharing that:)
  • dblirondog
    Options
    danikat15 wrote: »
    My knees! When my knees would feel like they were going to snap if I had to go from a kneeling position to standing... It killed me!

We also bought a camper this year and have been on several camping trips. We have a big one planned out to Colorado this summer to see my brother and I want so badly to participate in the hiking and biking her does out there!

That sounds painful! Yeah that is a good reason and I believe you can do it! Hiking is so much fun. You seriously can make that happen! Good job!
  • dblirondog
    Options
    Pain. In the early part of lockdown, anxiety and isolation helped me poof up almost 25 lbs in 4 months. That summer, my hip failed me at mile 3 of a 5-mile remote mountain hike. Nothing to do but suck it up and get off that mountain. Nearly couldn't walk at all the next two weeks.

Six months, 30 lbs, and a lot of self-examination and self-coaching later, I realized another switch had flipped: where once weighing and logging my food was some sort of chore-- a punishment for being a bad person with serious emotional eating problems- I discovered those practices had become calming self-care rituals and emotional/ stress management practices.

Wow, I absolutely love that story! That really motivates me and reminds me that people can change, its all in the mind. I love that so much! So good!
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Nothing, really re: weight loss. Exercise I do because I find it fun and I do have some drive to improve my performance at things I love.

I started tracking to track my protein. That showed me places I could pretty painlessly make small changes to my dietary habits and save some calories. Then that was easy/habit, I found other small, easy things to change and did those.

Lost the reflux, started sleeping better, got better at my sport of choice, had more energy and moved more as a result.

Maintaining it is because this is just my life and how I move/eat, now and to be honest most of the changes were pretty minor. More protein, less 'filler' in my meals, way fewer condiments and I eat out less often and more likely to get the chicken when I do, but nothing... that feels all that big.

190ish to 125.

Never needed motivation or inspiration, honestly. Just... did it slow and easy and it was fine.
  • JenKindo
    JenKindo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    But after all that effort, I don't want to be average. I want to be fit and I want my body to reflect that.

I relate to this SO much! I've been invisible long enough! Family members are starting to ask me about my gym routine. Makes me feel like I'm doing something right!
  • dblirondog
    Options
    Nothing, really re: weight loss. Exercise I do because I find it fun and I do have some drive to improve my performance at things I love.

I started tracking to track my protein. That showed me places I could pretty painlessly make small changes to my dietary habits and save some calories. Then that was easy/habit, I found other small, easy things to change and did those.

Lost the reflux, started sleeping better, got better at my sport of choice, had more energy and moved more as a result.

Maintaining it is because this is just my life and how I move/eat, now and to be honest most of the changes were pretty minor. More protein, less 'filler' in my meals, way fewer condiments and I eat out less often and more likely to get the chicken when I do, but nothing... that feels all that big.

190ish to 125.

Never needed motivation or inspiration, honestly. Just... did it slow and easy and it was fine.

You are a strong willed person! That is amazing to have that kind of control. I do not have that. I am very much all or nothing, easily addicted and overly passionate. I admire that kind of power! Seriously, way to go!
  • dblirondog
    Options
    jenkindo wrote: »
    But after all that effort, I don't want to be average. I want to be fit and I want my body to reflect that.

I relate to this SO much! I've been invisible long enough! Family members are starting to ask me about my gym routine. Makes me feel like I'm doing something right!

God that's the best!
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    dblirondog wrote: »

190ish to 125.

You are a strong willed person! That is amazing to have that kind of control. I do not have that. I am very much all or nothing, easily addicted and overly passionate. I admire that kind of power! Seriously, way to go!

In the interest of fairness I AM an all or nothing, I am first or I lost, go big or go home, kind of obsessive person. That's WHY I never 'focused' on weight loss or fitness. I had to work harder to keep myself from treating it like a hobby/obsession than I did to just make small changes.

I KNOW me. If I had focused on losing weight, the first time I went 'off plan' I'd have rage quit and decided I couldn't do it and given up forever. And I'd have done that MORE OFTEN if I'd 'worked hard' at it, because I would have made radical and unsustainable changes that would have led to me going off the deep end.

I ate a freaking entire box of christmas cookies last night. That I'm just fine with that and didn't do some restrictive crap to 'make up' for it OR QUIT is a bigger victory than being 65lbs down you know?
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options

So wise! I really identify with that. Also with @Lietchi 's comment about the drive emerging from having made a little progress first. This was exactly it for DH. We came home from a big trip several years ago and he had lost 10 lb. That was his jumping off point to lose the other 20lb. Maybe it flipped the switch from "too hard" to "doable."

If I'm honest, there are a lot of days I "don't feel like" exercise, but I do it anyway. Or I "feel like" eating/drinking more than my plan. When I ask myself what spurs me on when I'm not feeling it, two thoughts percolate:
    1) the self care idea (especially for strength training, which I don't really like but do anyway)
    2) there are lots of things I don't really WANT to but do anyway, and I think of exercise (or limiting my intake) in the context of that. House cleaning, yard maintenance, incomprehensible insurance paperwork, that sort of thing. We do it because the consequences of ignoring it too long are worse.

I think habits count for a lot, too. It feels to me like I depend more on habits and consistency than on drive. Maybe that's because I'm working on maintenance vs. loss. For exercise, it helps when my routine is in that sweet spot where it's challenging enough to be interesting on days I feel great but attainable enough that I know I can get through it on a day I'm not my best. No one is at their best every single day. Similarly for eating, there has to be enough stuff that I genuinely enjoy so that I feel satisfied rather than deprived even on weeks I'm in a deficit to stay in range. So kind of what @wunderkindking said, small attainable changes vs. radical unsustainable changes.
  • dblirondog
    Options
    dblirondog wrote: »

190ish to 125.

In the interest of fairness I AM an all or nothing, I am first or I lost, go big or go home, kind of obsessive person. That's WHY I never 'focused' on weight loss or fitness. I had to work harder to keep myself from treating it like a hobby/obsession than I did to just make small changes.

I KNOW me. If I had focused on losing weight, the first time I went 'off plan' I'd have rage quit and decided I couldn't do it and given up forever. And I'd have done that MORE OFTEN if I'd 'worked hard' at it, because I would have made radical and unsustainable changes that would have led to me going off the deep end.

I ate a freaking entire box of christmas cookies last night. That I'm just fine with that and didn't do some restrictive crap to 'make up' for it OR QUIT is a bigger victory than being 65lbs down you know?

I am an all or nothing person as well. I relate haha. Well I've learned its about the journey not the destination. So way to go for treating yourself right! That is a huge victory!
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,101 Member
    Options
    The number one reason I keep up with lifting weights is I enjoy it. The variety, me imposing my will upon a piece of iron to say "you WILL move", burning off stress and anxiety by being able to control at least one small part of my world. Beyond that I have two young adult sons I need to be able to keep up with, and two teenage daughters whom I need to scare any potential suitors, lol. Plus lifting helps reduce joint pain, something an aging body is subject to.

Besides, I was always gangly as a youth, got no action from the ladies. Now after 20 years of marriage I'm not seeking anybody but my wife, but it feels great to have the body I wish I had back then.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Not really sure on inspiration or motivation...I've been active pretty much all of my life save for 30-38 where I was pretty hit or miss with any kind of exercise. I prefer being active to sitting around. Most of my exercise is active recreation more so than anything I would consider a "workout". I ride my bike, mountain bike, walk my dog, do some hiking and swimming, etc.

I lift 2x per week full body namely because that's what most health bodies recommend and the health benefits that come with it and I also like what it does for me aesthetically. I have decided that I'm going to start doing some cycling events again this season after being off for a couple of years (mostly a COVID thing) so I will be running some more targeted cycling workout programs rather than just riding, but even those I consider fun...because bikes and I love bikes.

Weight wise, I dropped 40 Lbs in late 2012-spring 2013 and I maintained that up until 2020 when COVID hit and everything shut down. The last couple of years I've put on about 20 Lbs and I much prefer my usual maintenance weight both aesthetically as well as it just feels better doing the things I like to do when I'm at that weight. Some of my previously optimal health markers have also deteriorated over the last couple of years, so I want to get all of those back in the green as well.
  • dblirondog
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    The number one reason I keep up with lifting weights is I enjoy it. The variety, me imposing my will upon a piece of iron to say "you WILL move", burning off stress and anxiety by being able to control at least one small part of my world. Beyond that I have two young adult sons I need to be able to keep up with, and two teenage daughters whom I need to scare any potential suitors, lol. Plus lifting helps reduce joint pain, something an aging body is subject to.

Besides, I was always gangly as a youth, got no action from the ladies. Now after 20 years of marriage I'm not seeking anybody but my wife, but it feels great to have the body I wish I had back then.

You sound like you have this on lock! Thats great my friend. Kids are a good reason to make things happen and so is feeling good about yourself! Great work!