Fries

Fries 34 votes

normal cut
29% 10 votes
matchstick/shoestring
2% 1 vote
waffle
2% 1 vote
crinkle-cut
11% 4 votes
curly
0% 0 votes
wedge
11% 4 votes
steak
26% 9 votes
mcdonald's
14% 5 votes

Replies

  • more_oomph
    more_oomph Posts: 112 Member
    bpu3rfgx4lc1.jpg
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,511 Member
    # 12 please. But those weren't on the poll. Why I ask???
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 24,773 Member
    edited December 2021
    If I have to pick one from the too-limited poll, steak; wedge are also fine. But my favorite ever were the beer-battered fries that a neighborhood bar here used to serve. So good.

    Nonetheless, the oven fries I made for myself for Thanksgiving breakfast were pretty good, I have to say.1af2ungv2z3c.jpg

    Should maybe poll what people put on the fries, or dip them in: Betting there are some strong feelings there, too. I'm team ketchup all the way.

  • NYPhotographer2021
    NYPhotographer2021 Posts: 502 Member
    Any kind of fries with gravy and cheese curds please!! Homemade fries goes best with this! Poutine! <3
  • LazyBlondeChef
    LazyBlondeChef Posts: 1,828 Member
    edited December 2021
    I despise ketchup. I usually get blue cheese dressing if I'm out. Or ranch if they don't have it though it's not a favorite. I'll use tarter sauce if I'm having fish & chips. I've been known to use mustard. I'll use any sauce except ketchup. At home I usually use Primal Kitchen Chipotle Lime Mayo.

    Poutine, yes! I had some in Portland Maine a few summers ago that was to die for.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,056 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    If I have to pick one from the too-limited poll, steak; wedge are also fine. But my favorite ever were the beer-battered fries that a neighborhood bar here used to serve. So good.

    Nonetheless, the oven fries I made for myself for Thanksgiving breakfast were pretty good, I have to say.1af2ungv2z3c.jpg

    Should maybe poll what people put on the fries, or dip them in: Betting there are some strong feelings there, too. I'm team ketchup all the way.

    Ketchup, plenty of salt and malt vinegar!
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 11,715 Member
    usakg7t6cz55.png
    Crispy sweet potato wedges
    NOOOO Ketchup (ick!)
    wanhesuqqvrp.png
  • Walkywalkerson
    Walkywalkerson Posts: 444 Member
    I haven't tried a few of these so I can't comment -but all fries are pretty good aren't they!
    Not those oven cooked sweet potato abominations though - I made some the other day to try and curb my cravings for proper fatty fries but it didn't work.
    Oh and mayo and ketchup please 😁
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,511 Member
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    usakg7t6cz55.png
    Crispy sweet potato wedges
    NOOOO Ketchup (ick!)
    wanhesuqqvrp.png

    Soulmate in fries!! They look scrumptious!
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,727 Member
    RE: Sweet potato fries....I am a big fan of sweet potatoes, but not in fry form. They never seem to get crispy enough, and don't taste good with ketchup. I'd rather just cut them up and roast them.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 40,859 Member
    I love potatoes most ways, but for whatever reason I'm not a big fan of fries. Maybe it's because when I get them as a side with my burger or with my fish 'n chips or whatever, there's just too much and after eating a few, they just get cold and soggy. I usually opt for the side salad or I like onion rings a lot if they happen to have them, but hardly anyone does it seems.
  • ldaltonbishop
    ldaltonbishop Posts: 62 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I love potatoes most ways, but for whatever reason I'm not a big fan of fries. Maybe it's because when I get them as a side with my burger or with my fish 'n chips or whatever, there's just too much and after eating a few, they just get cold and soggy. I usually opt for the side salad or I like onion rings a lot if they happen to have them, but hardly anyone does it seems.

    This is why if I indulge in fries I eat them first and as fast as I can. (With pepper only.)
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 4,006 Member
    As a Belgian, I'd love to say that I prefer Belgian fries.
    But in reality I prefer what we call 'allumettes' here, which translates as matchstick but looks a bit thicker than what's pictured above (and double fried as all proper fries should be :wink: ).
    The best fries were my grandmother's homemade fries: double fried and very thin (close to shoestring/matchstick I'm guessing) but not fried extra crisp - they were just crispy at the ends and soft in the middle. And with tons of salt on them. Yum.

    Add to that some mussels or a good steak and I'm a happy camper (when it fits into my calories) :smiley:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 40,859 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I love potatoes most ways, but for whatever reason I'm not a big fan of fries. Maybe it's because when I get them as a side with my burger or with my fish 'n chips or whatever, there's just too much and after eating a few, they just get cold and soggy. I usually opt for the side salad or I like onion rings a lot if they happen to have them, but hardly anyone does it seems.

    This is why if I indulge in fries I eat them first and as fast as I can. (With pepper only.)

    I'm in it for the burger or whatever sandwich I'm having and I would be too full on half a plate of fries to enjoy the burger.
  • I2k4
    I2k4 Posts: 176 Member
    edited December 2021
    I only eat them out, style / shape less important than being cooked enough - most fast food joints and a lot of better joints don't crisp them. I got converted to vinegar (cider or white) with black pepper after moving to Canada, salted if in the mood. (And of course, Quebec's poutine is a sovereign independent culinary art form.)
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 318 Member
    Waffle fries are my go to shape, mostly because they are typically crispier than other fries. I eat mine with salt and pepper, or sometimes a bit of garlic. Never ketchup because it’s nasty, but occasionally I will dip them in honey mustard.

    Regular cut fries dipped into a chocolate frosty or milkshake are also delicious.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,607 Member
    Keep the fries. I want tater tots.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,511 Member
    cbihatt wrote: »
    Waffle fries are my go to shape, mostly because they are typically crispier than other fries. I eat mine with salt and pepper, or sometimes a bit of garlic. Never ketchup because it’s nasty, but occasionally I will dip them in honey mustard.

    Regular cut fries dipped into a chocolate frosty or milkshake are also delicious.

    Hmmm, interesting.