62 yo Mama Who Is Ready to Succeed

Options
boxednranch
boxednranch Posts: 4 Member
edited December 2021 in Introduce Yourself
Hi. I'm Kathleen.

I've always struggled with my weight. I weighed 142# in 1981 when I married at age 22. (I thought I was fat then - ha! What I'd give to be in that place again. :o ) 15 years later I was at 200#. In 2001, I lost down to 172 and stayed there for a couple of years. 11 years ago, my life got crazy with life as a mom of teens and young adults.

All that to say that I ballooned up to 235, and I was miserable. My clothes didn't fit, I was out of shape, and I was shocked at the person I see looking at me from the mirror. I decided it's time to take my life back! Since September, I've managed to lose about 18 pounds on my own (currently 217#). I've signed up for MFP because I feel like all I have more success with a more structured program.

My first goal is to lose 10 pounds in December. Then I would like to lose the remaing 60 pounds at a rate of 1-1.5# per week. That will take me through 2022 and I should be at my goal weight of 155.

I appreciate any encouragement, advice, and prayers. I am a Christian, and I know all things are possible through Christ who strengthens me.

I look forward to traveling this journey with the rest of you.

Kathleen

Replies

• idahoksu
    idahoksu Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Kathleen, our weight goals are close. I just started MFP and diet again. I am 200lbs and goal is 150ish. I have fought off an on with my weight for many yrs. God and I have gone rounds about it, lol. Use to be more about looks and energy, but at 52yrs. It's alot more about feeling better and having energy among all the other positives. I find fasting till late afternoon works best for me for many reasons. Trying to start exercising and i know how to eat right, but feeling tired and not being prepared and the fact I HATE cooking are triggers for me to just eat whatever is handy. Like cheese and bread, yummy.
    Well I hope to see us both make small success constantly till we reach our goals and work on matenance.
  • AngWBald
    AngWBald Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You can do this! I'm 58 years old, 4 feet 11 inches tall, and 160 pounds. I have a long way to go to get back into my healthy BMI range. I've lost weight before on Keto. I lost 40 pounds to qualify for knee replacement surgery, but I gained 20 of it back. I'm getting back into Keto/Intermittent fasting because I know it works. I've lost 10 pounds since getting back on. I will admit Keto dieting along with intermittent fasting is still controversial. I actually got in to a 5 minute lecture with a nursing student on the dangers of going low carb. I was asked by a friend, "Have you told your doctor how you are losing weight yet?" NO! They are still telling me to get 3 servings of grains and 4 to 5 servings of fruits and vegetables a day as part of a healthy diet. Until more people are on Keto there will be opposition to this way of dieting. I'm a Christian too. Prayers go to you, Kathleen.
  • linda5896
    linda5896 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Kathleen! We have similar weight stories. I'm 60 and my current fighting weight is 214, for my height I should be around 150. I quit smoking a year ago and piled on the weight, I was overweight from the last few years trying to quit smoking, I'd quit, gain weight get depressed and started smoking again multiple times. I spent the last year being kind to myself with food and now it's time to turn my will power and desires to become healthy and fit!! I'm new to intermittent fasting but it's a good fit as I've never been a morning eater so the only difference for me is to be done eating sooner in the day. I'm also doing Keto and lost 5lbs last week. I look forward to sharing our successes and failures with you and this group!!