Exercising when obese

Options
Obese, unfit people - what exercise/fitness activities do you do?

I've been doing a boot camp thing for the past 6 weeks which won't be carrying on after Christmas so I'm on the hunt for new activites. Which is probably a good thing because the boot camp has been horrendous to be honest with you.

My fitness levels are very low and there are a lot of things my body physically can't do. I'm looking for something that I can do even at my size that will get me moving and build up my fitness.

What worked for you? What did you enjoy most?

Replies

• MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    I love my rebounder (mini-trampoline). 6 stone/85 lbs ago, I couldn't walk up a flight of stairs without sweating and panting for breath. I started with just 3-5 minutes a day of a high stepping march on the trampoline and sloooowly worked my way up to 8-10 minutes. I remember when 8 minutes felt like such a victory!

I am not young, have had double hip replacements and a wee bit of arthritis in one knee - so I wanted an effective joint-friendly exercise with a high calorie burn. Today I still work out on my rebounder nearly every day for 30-40 minutes and have added some free weight floor exercises to my improve muscle tone.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    When I was at my heaviest I was riding 15 to 20 miles a day on a road bike, around hilly Seattle. I was obese if you used BMI to judge, but wasn't particularly unfit, and was younger so had more energy. 🙂

To lose weight, I kept the cycling up, and started eating less. It wasn't even intentional at first, but once I noticed I was losing weight I decided to really do it.

I think @snowflake954 is right, if you're looking for an exercise to take up as part of this journey, swimming and walking are excellent choices - if you enjoy them. You can drive to a nice place and walk there, we have parks on the shore and it's a lot easier to enjoy walking there vs around my neighborhood.
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    Dianedoessmiles1 Posts: 12,094 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Come and check us out on the 2022 Winter 5% Challenge. Quite a few of us started out in a position of where moving was point blank HARD!! So we have a lot of experience, and are willing to cheer anyone who wishes to lose weight or maintain. I started out at 288 and 97% of the time using a power chair. I am HAPPY to say I gave that away almost 4 years ago!! WOOHOO!! I can now walk, I am in pain still, but much less without 100 lbs hanging on my poor body. I'm also in heart failure. But, I can exercise, I just need to be careful and not do to much, nor to slack off. LOL Inside is still that person I was before who'd rather not move around. At first as said it was NOT easy,, shoot I laid on my bed just moving my arms and legs. Come and check us out.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/141880-2022-winter-5-challenge-community
  • Walkywalkerson
    Walkywalkerson Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    When I was obese I started out with walking.
    It was difficult- but it gets easier.
    Start slowly and get some good shoes.
    Working your way up to hills and hikes with different terrain.
    Then I bought a bike (outdoors)
    This was a game changer - I found that I loved it!
    It was difficult and I used to get off and push it uphill - but like everything it gets easier.
    I found that exercise outside is so great for my well being too.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Walking is a great place to start when you have a low level of fitness. I started out walking and kept doing so until I could walk 3 miles per day 6-7 days per week without issue. Once I could do that I started a C25K plan which was 3x per week and continued walking on my non training plan days. I also started working in the weight room about 4 months into my exercise and weight loss diet. Over the course of my weight loss I ran in a few 5K running events.

It took me about 8 months to lose 40 Lbs. When I went to maintenance I felt that I was in good enough physical condition to try my hand at a sprint triathlon. I never ended up completing it as I was injured a couple of weeks before my event, but I did discover a love for cycling. I never really much liked running, it was just something I did because that's what I saw other fit and healthy people doing...but discovering the bike was a game changer and I never looked back.

I spent the better part of 5 years doing various endurance cycling events...mostly 1/2 century rides. I did one full century, and that was a bit much for me. I had to back off of that kind of training a couple of years ago though, namely due to other things in my life becoming much busier...but I still ride quite a bit and I'm going to start doing events again in 2022, but mostly it will be 1/4 century rides.

Moral of the story, fitness is something that is built up slowly over time. When I first started losing weight and exercising regularly, never in my wildest dreams did I think a couple of years down the road I would be doing 50 and 100 mile bike rides.
  • dontlikepeople
    dontlikepeople Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    When my fitness levels have been very low in the past I had a very simple routine

Push ups, jack knives (or sit ups), air squats, and a walk. As my health improved I added more reps/sets/length, and eventually started repeating the basic calisthenics after the walk as well.

The key is to be kind to yourself. When I was very out of shape I would be so exhausted from that routine that I would immediately crash and sleep for the rest of the day. With consistency and dedication it will slowly get better until you're at the point that it was a distant memory.
  • mirianyusm
    mirianyusm Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Walking is really good and if you have access to a fitness center with a swimming pool, aquarobics is really good and fun. I hope you find something you like to do. That is very important to stick with it.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Many people have mentioned walking, which is great, but is sometimes difficult, particularly for heavy people.

If walking is difficult for you, don't despair, you can start with stationary bike. A recumbent stationary bike is particularly weight-friendly and is a great place to start. You can buy your own for pretty cheap (e.g., Sunny Health and Fitness) or go use one in a gym. (Make some friends in the real world!) You can do it while watching Netflix, you can follow a free "spinning" workout on YouTube, or you can pay for the Peloton app (with or without buying their hardware).

The Peloton app is pretty cool: For $13/month you get live and recorded coaching for a wide range of classes, including spinning. A number of the smart TVs offer the app, so you don't have to do it on a computer. (Unfortunately, not Samsung as of yet. It works well on Ipad, which you can connect to your TV pretty easily.) Some people find it much more motivating to have scheduled "live action" workouts, which the app offers. (I have no affiliation with Peloton and I don't commonly use the app myself, but I have one friend who raves about it.)

https://www.onepeloton.com/app

I haven't tried this bike, but it looks fine to me for beginners:

https://sunnyhealthfitness.com/collections/bikes/products/sunny-health-and-fitness-sf-rb4616-magnetic-recumbent-bike-exercise-bike-300lb-capacity-easy-adjustable-seat-monitor-pulse-rate-monitoring
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options
    I walked on the treadmill at the gym or outdoors, and I did some snowshoeing. But my main exercise was a deep water running class at the pool. The hardest part is walking across the pool deck to the water the first time. But then you realize that a) no one is actually looking at you and b) many of the people in the class are similar in size and fitness level. What I love about DWR is that you make it as hard or as easy as you want because no one can really see what you're doing. So it ends up being an activity that progresses with you because as you get fitter, you just do the exercises with more intensity.

Due to COVID I hadn't been to a class in nearly two years but recently a friend asked me to go with her (Instead of the pool I had been doing other things like running, weights, yoga, kayaking, dragon boating, hiking, cross country skiing, etc). I had honestly forgotten what a great workout DWR can be, because like I said earlier, you make it as difficult or as easy as you want it to be.

BTW, I am impressed that you did a bootcamp. I certainly couldn't have tackled that when I was obese. Good job!
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Try the Get Back Up. It's just what it says it is. If need be use a small stool to lean on when first starting. Great overall functional strength builder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_DoicHg2E
  • tufntender
    tufntender Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Well, IDK if it is allowed, I was barely able to walk or hike even though I was physically able to, if that makes sense. I knew I needed to ju7st up my cardio a bit. I came across this lady Amy on Youtube and got started on a 10, perhaps 7 min aerobic workout thingy. Of course, I couldn't finish. But, eventually, I was able. I have fallen off the wagon and this here person is going to be my go-to. Best wishes
  • age_is_just_a_number
    Options
    Start slowly. Walking is a great form of exercise. When you are ready add more. Start with stationary exercises like deadlift. Wildman Athletica has a recommended approach for obese people.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I was a highly accomplished couch potato and at 5'8" / 235 lbs overweight & severely out of shape.

Like many others I started out with walking. I lost some weight and felt pretty good until I started playing soccer again at which point I learned that wlaking wasn't going to give me the level of fitness that I needed to play a full 90 minutes (our old timers league didn't usually have a lot of subs, between family & work commitments / injuries we often had 12 or 13 players show up) so I started running.

Also like many of us I grew up hating running. Phys ed teachers & coaches love to use it as a punishment. What really surprised me was that running by myself at my own pace was incredibly enjoyable. I'm fortunate to have beautiful recreational paths just a few hundred metres from my front door.

Long story short, the fitter I got the more I felt like challenging myself. I got a rowing machine, bought a bike & joined a triathlon club and the rest is history.

I'm not sure how reliable the Garmin app is but according to it my fitness age is more than 20 years younger than my chronological age.

OP do you have access to classes (spinning, yoga, etc)? (I know, the pandemic might not be the best time to be joining indoor group activities) Is there a running store near you? Many of them host (often free) learn to run types of programs? Is there a walking group in your area? Joining a group can provide the accountability that some people thrive on.

Focus on activities that you can do for the long term, be consistent & have fun.
  • Joechuks01
    Joechuks01 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi,

You can start with some beginner exercises and work your way from there. Don't be too harsh on yourself.

Check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT-7tFXtaEo