Starting by Maintaining

Options
Wow, I just started logging food again. I am listening to an amazing podcast called, half-size me. She lost over 150 lbs and is in year 10 of maintenance. She's inspired me. The plan: track normal eating (wow I was way overeating) Then, you find out what your maintenance is on average over a few weeks. Then as you find things you can always do with your diet and exercises you reduce the maintenance amount by that, then on days you want to eat more you plan for your maintenance calorie amount. I LOVE this. It feels impowering and something I can do forever. I am on day 3 of tracking my maintenance caloric intake. Not a diet, not fast, just using maintenance caloric knowledge to make this long term (of course when my weight changes I will have to recalculate what maintenance is). Here's to starting, by maintaining!

Replies

• mirianyusm
    mirianyusm Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Since you are not in a hurry to lose weight, it's great that you are trying it. I never heard of this podcast/method, but you might even find that you lose weight while at maintenance. Good luck to you and keep us posted.
  • Luannelizabeth
    Luannelizabeth Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    It just goes to show you that there's no one way that's right for everyone. I too need the accountability of logging my food. I've had a 35 lb weight loss and would like to maintain it for a while to see how it feels to do that. Then I might decide I want to lose more, IF my body agrees. But yeah, I'm in it for the long haul.
  • maibutterfly
    maibutterfly Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 This is great! She's so inspiring and so are all of these successes! Well done. I'm still going strong and FEEL empowered and amazing, not hungry or restricting, even though now I am eating an average of over 1500 calories less a day! This like no other method before has had me feel.
  • Lerayima
    Lerayima Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It just goes to show you that there's no one way that's right for everyone. I too need the accountability of logging my food. I've had a 35 lb weight loss and would like to maintain it for a while to see how it feels to do that. Then I might decide I want to lose more, IF my body agrees. But yeah, I'm in it for the long haul.

I've been doing the same since last year. I went for 10% of my weight, which is recommended by the NHS before reassessing it a few months later. I had lost some initial weight without trying prior to that by having long Covid, so I am currently 31lb lower than I was a year ago. I always told myself that I'd decide whether to go further in the New Year so decision time comes very soon! I also think that I need to track long term. I think different methods work for different people. I yoyo'ed by 50lb twice in the past so decided to try going in stages this time.
  • makethistimedifferent
    Options
    Your mindset is spot on. Make the changes to and stick with for the rest of your life! This is what I tell people all the time because I talk to many people who only make changes to get to their goal weight, but don't plan for what they are going to do once they are at their goal weight.