Working Up to a Bikini Competition

Options
Hey friends!
So I've decided I'm going to compete in a CPA (Canadian Physique Alliance) bikini competition before I turn 35. It's always been a small goal in the back of my mind, ever since I got into fitness and lost 50lbs several years ago. Now I feel like I'm in a place in my life where things are stable, I'm focused, mentally ready and could actually achieve it. I'm 33 now and in a reasonable(?) shape - just hired a personal trainer/coach to help me build muscle and stay on track. I also workout at home in my basement gym and I've got a husky pup who is making sure I do 30-60mins of cardio each day.

I'm hoping to connect with other competitors, bikini girls and such to help keep me motivated and to learn from - so if you have ever or plan on competing please feel free add me.

I'm also wondering if anyone out there has tips for someone like me hoping to break into the industry a little later in life. Not saying I'm old or anything but I absolutely realize I'll be up against folks who have been doing this for a lot longer and are a lot younger than I am. My goal isn't to win or even place really - I literally just want to be able to be up on that stage and hold my own and say I did it as a result of my hard work.

Anyways I guess that's all for this post - thanks for listening/taking the time to read.
This community is awesome! :smile:

Replies

• alexandramosenson
    alexandramosenson Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have never competed nor probably will I ever, but I have listened to enough podcasts to say, get a coach for your first competition.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Does your PT have experience coaching for the stage? A lot of PTs are great "fitness generalists" but not all are equipped to get someone stage ready. Also, never to old...one of my PT friends has been a bikini competitor for about 20 years and started in her 30s...she has lots of trophies, including her most recent at age 51.

If you're really wanting to break into the industry, I'd recommend a qualified coach who has experience getting people stage ready.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    There aren’t many regular posters who compete on mfp. There are a few Facebook groups including one called ‘Bikini competitors without a coach’. I lurk in that group although competing isn’t on the cards for me. I think an experienced coach would be a good investment if you are serious.
    Renaissance periodisation, 3D muscle journey and layne Norton’ s company are reputable companies who offer on line coaching.
  • nay0m3
    nay0m3 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Check out Physique Development and Sue Gainz (real name Sue Bush)

I have no interest in competing nor looking like a bikini competitor but I am trying to build my best body. :) I am 43 and I have never been as fit!

Happy to connect if you'd like!
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Does your PT have experience coaching for the stage? A lot of PTs are great "fitness generalists" but not all are equipped to get someone stage ready.

I'll second this. There are plenty of personal trainers who are going to be fine for helping people "get fit," but only a miniscule fraction of them will have a even a whisper of a clue about peaking protocols etc. Someone else mentioned Renaissance Periodization and 3DMJ; I'd also throw Revive Stronger onto that list.

Also, I did my first BB show at 37 years old, so don't worry about age!

• BBJock
    BBJock Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Do they have a classification for 50 year plus? My GF just turned 50, Look 40 or less. For the past 2 years she has been working out 5 days a week 3 hours each session. I really see huge changes. She talk about bikini competition but a bit shy. Feels she needs some new goal so I want to encourage her to go for it
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 888 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Does your PT have experience coaching for the stage? A lot of PTs are great "fitness generalists" but not all are equipped to get someone stage ready. Also, never to old...one of my PT friends has been a bikini competitor for about 20 years and started in her 30s...she has lots of trophies, including her most recent at age 51.

If you're really wanting to break into the industry, I'd recommend a qualified coach who has experience getting people stage ready.

I thought the bikini category wasn’t created until around 2010, the first competition was was referred to as the stripper class as most of the contestants worked at the local strip club and simply turned up and did the show.

Would definitely agree with hiring a prep coach and one who is familiar with the organisation you wish to complete in,
    Bikini is a minefield with how lean, full, hard they want the competitors to come in. For example The Npc will mark you down if you have visible abs while relaxed. A girl in my gym got moved from one class to another because she was too lean, they had 2 different bikini categories, one for softer and one for harder competitor’s

• Nama_Slay38
    Nama_Slay38 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I too am dabbing with this idea! Haven't hired a coach yet, but I'm researching right now.
  • I_AM_ISRAEL
    I_AM_ISRAEL Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I would definitely get a coach, one who has actually competed several times too! As others have said, there’s a lot of regular gym rats abs gym goers but it’s like with anything else, you look for the techs and those with specialty skills for your specific needs. I am currently with a coach who’s been training me to compete in my first show.
    You can usually tell who’s a bodybuilder by looking around and seeing those who pose after a set, and will typically be doing a higher rep range of a workout.