Women 200lb+, Let's Be Dynamic This December!!!

Replies

• sargemarcori
    sargemarcori Posts: 301 Member
    Hurray, @kenziestabes ! Well done!
  • kenziestabes
    kenziestabes Posts: 338 Member
    @sargemarcori Thanks! I am visiting my parents in the southern U.S. and taking advantage of the uncharacteristically warm weather to get plenty of outdoor exercise. The puppy seems to be loving it too. I also took the small plate and sample size portions approach to Christmas dinner. I typically fill up half a desert plate with a lean protein like turkey (ours was roasted with Cajun spices) and literal spoonful's of various sides on the other half. It helps that my mother is also trying to lose weight. We have been splitting deserts and some other calorie dense foods so that we can both enjoy them for flavor but not feel like we are wasting food.

My game plan seemed to work better than intended. Thought I was just going to maintain my weight, not lose.

How have your holidays been?
  • kenziestabes
    kenziestabes Posts: 338 Member
    edited December 2021
    BBCode is a coding way to change your font style, such as bolding or italicizing. If you are familiar with it, you can type what format you want a phrase to be in, which is faster to some. Highlighting the words you want and clicking the appropriate button at the top of the textbox does the same thing. There are different coding languages that can be used for formatting. Word uses control key shortcuts. Some blogging platforms use symbols like * or ~, and Myfitnesspal uses BBCode.

For example, if I wanted the bold the word code,

- I could type "code," click and highlight it, and click the "B" above the textbox
    - or I could type [ b ] and [ / b ] (without the spaces) on either side of it: code
  • BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,178 Member
    @goal06082021 - what a great, simple way to identify what you haven't used in a year. I do have seasons where I live and switch out Summer to Winter & then back at some point each year. I think inside out folding would be a great idea for drawer clothes.

Except too small clothes, those can wait another year lol 😂 🙃
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,642 Member
    Hi! My daughter gave me a gift card to Amazon and I am in the market for a new scale that gives more information than just pounds. There is such a variety of scales out there that I was hoping someone could give me their opinion on ones they've tried. I'm looking at the $25 range but can't imagine how anything that inexpensive could be accurate on 13+ different body readings. I'm tired of focusing on the lbs. and am looking for more ways to monitor progress, such as measuring body fat, BMI, etc. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
  • roz0810
    roz0810 Posts: 1,238 Member
    @nebslp Hey there. I have had a renpho smart Bluetooth scale for 1+ year and I love it. It has an app it connects to, gives you all sorts of information, and it's about £20. Would highly recommend it. I'm in the UK so hopefully they have it there for you.
  • @nebslp I also have the renpho scale, I got it on some sort of sale, and I really love it. I usually weigh myself at the same time, but I often forget what it actually says when I leave the room. Very helpful for those with memory issues. It also has BMI, weight, water etc. very handy!
  • swimmom_1 wrote: »
    Have on my size 8 jeans today and a medium flannel shirt I haven't worn since 2014!
    That is wonderful!!!!!!! Congratulations!!!!

• @fushiakat Congrats on joining mission slimpossible!! How fun, I am on Shape Shifters, it isn't like here (of course) but it is really nice. Also that is really really exciting!!! So close to the overweight BMI!
    @Meowscout so the Mount CandyMonster, what is this exactly? I am really glad you conquered it!!
  • justanotherloser007
    justanotherloser007 Posts: 578 Member
    edited December 2021
    I hit my goal range! Officially no longer obese, and I have lost over 40 pounds in less than 6 months. Here's to a new year!
    Congratulations!!! Awesome!!! Wow, way to go girl!!!!! Woo hoo!!!!!!!

• FushiaKat
    FushiaKat Posts: 512 Member
    @fushiakat Congrats on joining mission slimpossible!! How fun, I am on Shape Shifters, it isn't like here (of course) but it is really nice. Also that is really really exciting!!! So close to the overweight BMI!
    @Meowscout so the Mount CandyMonster, what is this exactly? I am really glad you conquered it!!

So far, I am loving it. I like how ppl tell a little bit about their day; it helps to know how other people are coping. It's a huge lifestyle change for me, and I want to be able to sustain it in the long run. This can't be just another failed diet for me. My husband would argue that a diet is anything you are eating good or bad, and to lose you just need to change your diet, not go on a diet.
  • finngirl61
    finngirl61 Posts: 122 Member
    @sargemarcori - thanks for what you said! Pls keep me in your prayers.
  • 48 yo 5’3” 6/2013 SW 277
    December goal - maintain! Met goal, and lost 6 lbs
    12/1 178.4
    12/3 176.2
    12/10 179.2
    12/17 174
    12/24 175.4
    12/31 172.4

🎄 Walk 5 miles every single day (up from 3 miles last month!!) So this has been going like gangbusters, and is great!!
    🎄 Be patient! Remember that increments are where it is at.
    🎄 Remember: Total loss of 104.6 lbs down!!

Woo, December was a little challenging!! I definitely maintained, and then lost 6 lbs overall. So I think it all shakes down to I did one week of maintenance eating, when I included the increase in exercise. I am chuffed and ready for January!

@finngirl61 I will be praying for you as well (((hugs)))
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    nebslp wrote: »
    Hi! My daughter gave me a gift card to Amazon and I am in the market for a new scale that gives more information than just pounds. There is such a variety of scales out there that I was hoping someone could give me their opinion on ones they've tried. I'm looking at the $25 range but can't imagine how anything that inexpensive could be accurate on 13+ different body readings. I'm tired of focusing on the lbs. and am looking for more ways to monitor progress, such as measuring body fat, BMI, etc. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

I have a Tanita scale that purports to measure body fat and body water percentage, no idea what it costs, it was a gift. I will say though, most scales that claim to measure that kind of stuff are not very accurate at it. If you want to track something besides your relationship with gravity, may i suggest a measuring tape instead? Maybe that and some calipers, that's a better way to measure body fat if you're tracking that than an impedance scale. NB i don't know the first thing about how to use calipers in this way, can't point you to any resources on that but i bet Google can.

This isn't an official weigh-in post but i will report that I'm finishing the year at 197.4 - about a pound and a half above where i wanted to be, but that's closer enough for jazz. I've gone over my calories today but I'm deciding not to worry about it - we're going to have a delicious dinner and ring in the New Year with creme brulee that i made. I'm logging it so i have that data but then I'm moving on with my life, not trying to "make up" for anything over the weekend or whatever.

I've technically graduated from this group, and don't intend to be over 200 lbs ever again if i have anything to say about it, but if y'all will have me, I'd love to come back in the January thread - this is a great group!
  • BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Happy New Year's Eve! Goodbye 2021 😝
    So glad to see so many of you pressing on with your weight loss/weight management goals - congrats to you 👏

2 more feast days for me (a little indulgence tonight 😵 + full on entertaining tomorrow) then I'll have made it through to the other side 😉

Weighed myself this morning and saw what I hoped - a new low! Only by .2 but thrilled to see it confirmed on the scale that I did not go over maintenance during Christmas! Absolutely enjoyed myself and every bite but within reason and kept some of my good habits going like incorporate some activity,  drinking water, minimum 12 hours fasting overnight.
    And logging my food here! 😊

Age 61 / height 5' 4.5"

Aug 13/2021 - 298.8 (SW & ATH)
    November  - 272.2 (Down 26.6)

Dec 1 - 271 4
    Dec 3 - 270.4
    Dec 10 - 269.8 (recalc'd calories)
    Dec 11 - 267.6
    Dec 17 - 268.6
    Dec 24 - 267.2 (changed to maintenance calories until January)
    Dec 31 - 267

Down 5.2 lbs for December and did not gain over Christmas!!

Weight goal for December - 30 lbs down ✔ and keep that loss into the New Year ✔!

I usually weigh in daily when at home, but will record weekly, trying for Fridays (if I slept at home Thursday night to weigh in next morning - until my new portable scale arrives)

Other goals:
    [  ] Go for minimum 15 minute walk each day, indoors or out - although hit & miss with this, definite increase in activity & daily steps - also began using the mini trampoline my daughter gave me!
    [  ] Get my water in, minimum 6 cups - ✔
    [  ] Focus on adequate protein in my diet, especially seafood - added keeping carbs below 150 grams when I recalc'd my calories - Xmas dealt this a blow, carbs are way up with cookies and all, but did pretty good with the protein.
    [  ] Get Christmas stuff done!!! Enjoy the day!! ✔✔

And to all those who have "graduated" (love that term @goal06082021 !) please stay! You are such an encouragement and source of wisdom (whether you think you are or not 😁)
    May I suggest though that you do continue to post your starting weight as newbies too will then understand why you're here and also be encouraged vs possibly feeling like they don't belong? Just my thoughts.
  • @goal06082021 I assumed this thread was for ladies whose starting weight was 200+ lbs not that it is only for them and once you get smaller you leave. I remembered when I was starting there was a lady who was just moving to maintenance!! It was very exciting!! I know I was totally happy to see those who stayed the course, and eventually got to a lower weight. I also consider this for those who may not be able to identify with some other threads who are like, "Oh NOES I weigh 10 lbs over my perfect BMI, I better lock down and join MFP and get this sorted" While I hope to be that person someday, I am certainly not her now. I started where I started, and that is just a fact. I have to deal with all the emotions and decades of being over 100 lbs overweight. I hope to never gain the weight again, and I know that maintenance will be for life. But you can stay here until maintenance, and then from what I understand that is a whole nother ballgame, one with maintenance threads and a different kind of accountability. I know fat2fit has a maintenance arm to it, it isn't just for losers.

@nebslp goal is correct, even the fancy scales are giving you a basic idea.. the scale I bought actually says that. That being said, it seems to work as intended. It is just like the TDEE math, they are in a close ballpark and that is what it is for. Your mileage may vary a little bit, but it is a good place to start!