Let's Try This Again.....My Story

Options
ellewood74
ellewood74 Posts: 4 Member
edited January 2022 in Introduce Yourself
Hello and Happy New Year!

I, as a lot of people, are making it a goal this year to focus more on my own health and wellbeing, both physically and mentally. I am not new to MFP as I have attempted to utilize in the past with minimal success. Minimal because I just have trouble and don't like tracking my nutrition. I find it cumbersome but I know it needs to be done so I can see where I am at and make the adjustments necessary to be successful in this life long journey.

I have trouble with consistency and I hope to make some friends who will help me stay accountable.

I am at my heaviest weight ever and just feel like crap. I want to feel better, have more energy and be around for a long time for my three beautiful nieces who I ADORE!

That's it in a nutshell.

Best wishes to everyone for a happy, healthy and successful 2022!

Laura
Tagged:

Replies

• sfblchk6033
    sfblchk6033 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Laura! I feel like you have written this for my introduction-lol. I just turned 40 yesterday and I too am at my heaviest. I absolutely HATE where I am at right now. I suggested we go to a local nutrition store so I can do the body scan thing as a starting point. My daughter told me no-skinny brat. She said I would look like all the other new years resolution people, but thats not what I'm trying to do or be. I NEED a complete lifestyle change. Like you, I am not good at tracking my foods but I have to do this for myself and my family. I am hoping that on this forum I can find the support needed from those that understand and I wont feel like a burden to them when I reach out about a crappy day or a minor success. Good luck to you and making a 2022 a great success!

Darby
  • PeteTheGaymer21
    PeteTheGaymer21 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You’ve got this! But can I just suggest something passed on to me. If you feel you are struggling with consistency it’s because you probably have a very big end goal. Go for much smaller stepping stones along the way and reward yourself when you hit them. A night out, a movie trip, new clothes etc……
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

Cliffs Notes of Weight Loss:
    • Weight loss happens in THE KITCHEN, fitness happens in the gym
    • small, sustainable changes
    • Understand weight fluctuations are normal. Thinks of a roller coaster, not a steep mountain slope down. Some weeks up, some weeks down. Its the OVERALL TREND that matters
    • Learn to weigh your food ON A FOOD SCALE
    • Learn how to find ACCURATE DATABASE ENTRIES
    • BE ACTIVE - get off your butt and MOVE. Find SOMETHING you enjoy. If your activity is limited, find ways to move that you are ABLE to do
    • Deprivation is the key to Binging and falling off the wagon. Learn how to fit your favorite things in regularly. There are no 'bad foods' Just 'bad quantities'.
    • One 'bad' day will not undo your deficit.
    • You did not gain the weight quickly. You will not lose it quickly. Better to lose it slowly, and KEEP IT OFF, then lose it quick, and gain it all back and more!

Useful Links
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1

and basically ... all of these :)
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-health-fitness-and-diet-must-reads#latest

With recent changes to the forums, its not as easy to get to peoples profiles profiles anymore. The easiest way (from a computer) is to replace the user name (like in the url below) with the user name of the person you want to add. ( i cant help you with doing it from a phone as I dont use the forums on my phone). I dont care if you add me, but I will warn you, I am not the friend for everyone. I am very supportive, and off and on all day, so see most things, but I swear like a sailor and ramble incessantly about my life, and not just about diet and weight crap. I have an awesome group of friends who are pretty much the same. You are welcome to board to crazy train and hop off if you so choose. https://www.myfitnesspal.com/profile/callsitlikeiseeit

As with anything, it works if you DO the work.

I've lost over 230 pounds since 2014 (though I did take a break and maintain my weight for several years until the beginning of this year before starting back up to work on losing the rest). This year, I've lost 50 of that 230. I have about 30 to go now.

But... MFP didnt do the work. It is a TOOL for ME to do the work I need to do. Just as my food scale is a tool, and my running shoes, and my gym memberships.

I still have to do the work. Everything I do every day... is my lifestyle now. And that lifestyle, and the tools I use, result in weight loss, when I eat in a deficit. And it will for you, as well. IF you put in that work.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,554 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    The weight scans at nutrition store and gym are no better than what you get on your own home Bluetooth scale these days- notoriously inaccurate.

My scale provides graphs of numerous data points. While the weight is reliable, other things like body fat, muscle %, etc have barely moved- even though I’ve gone from about 35 BMI as low as 20.

Take those things with a grain of salt.

What’s more aggravating, time consuming and mentally exhausting to you? Spending ten minutes a day recording and weighing your food, or the time and energy spent despising your weight and appearance?

Believe me, I wasted a *kitten* ton of time and tears on the latter. I also spent years watching my mother literally hit herself and call herself “stupid fat *kitten*”. I wish I could have brought her along in this trip. Sadly, she passed after being bedridden for years due to complications of diabetes and morbid obesity.

Make a decision. Same old/same old, or something new, for real.

• SuzFit212
    SuzFit212 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling exactly the same. You just wrote my own intro 🙈 I've had success on mfp before, but I stopped for various reasons. Back at it because my health is worth it. Add me if you'd like. :)