Coronavirus prep

1691692694696697726

Replies

  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,842 Member
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    I’m a healthcare worker and I am asking that everyone tell all their friends and family to stop coming to the ER for minor illnesses and for testing. Make an appointment for a test and if you can’t get one, just stay home.

    The hospitals are getting overwhelmed and the wait times are insane because of all the frivolous ER visits for tests in people with minor illness or no symptoms. Nurses and doctors are getting burnt out with the insanity of it all.

    Unless you’re very sick, stay home!!

    Great PSA.

    Here in Massachusetts, 91% of the total population has had at least one shot and 75% are fully vaccinated, yet our little suburban hospital is overwhelmed and looking forward to help from the National Guard.

    None of us have symptoms, but wanted to know how to get tested in case we develop some. I'm with the VA, so checked for my other family members. Possibly they'd use the free test service at CVS. We can't get same day, or next day, or at the closest store, but there are appts available two days out in the next town over.

    https://www.cvs.com/minuteclinic/covid-19-testing

    I also ordered a two kit test from Amazon, which will arrive in a few weeks.

    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B09KZ6TBNY/

    And now I see I can request a free at-home kit from my state:

    https://www.ondemand.labcorp.com/ma-testing

    The thing is, many are coming in for unnecessary tests. For example, a mom with her 2 toddlers who have barely any symptoms came in yesterday. She tested positive and wanted her kids tested. They are not in school or daycare, just at home. I told her that they don’t need to be tested. If someone in the home tests positive and others have symptoms, then they have it too but knowing won’t change the treatment at all. It is still just let it run its course for the most part unless you’re sick enough to require oxygen and hospitalization.

    Also, there are a lot of false negatives going on especially if someone tests too early. There is no point coming in and clogging the ER for a test when one barely has symptoms. They should get an appointment for a test even if they have to wait a while. Waiting a few days will lead to a more accurate test result. Coming in one day one or two of symptoms and testing negative when that person had close contact in the home with someone positive……is dangerous. That person might think they don’t have to quarantine because they are negative but in reality, they are still contagious and tested too soon.

    I’m trying to educate my patients about these things.

    I will say that I have yet to have to hospitalize a single vaccinated person, even the elderly ones with multiple medical issues.

    We recently had a young (39) year old otherwise healthy married man and father pass away from Covid and he was unvaccinated. I have had to admit several very sick, young, otherwise healthy unvaccinated patients this past week. It is insane to me how some people are still not vaccinated.

    The exception to what you’re saying here is if you are in a high risk category and eligible for antibodies. They have to be provided within the first couple of days, preferably before the person is symptomatic. If you have waited until you need oxygen you are too late for them to help.

    Absolutely false. We have been giving monoclonal antibodies. They dont have to be given before symptoms develop. False false false. We give them up to 10 days of symptoms. With the new variant, the ones we have are not effective though.

    Well, that’s interesting, since it’s not what the guidelines say. Within four days, no later than seven.

    https://www.unc.edu/posts/2021/08/31/monoclonal-antibody-infusion-therapy-for-covid-19/
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,079 Member
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    I’m a healthcare worker and I am asking that everyone tell all their friends and family to stop coming to the ER for minor illnesses and for testing. Make an appointment for a test and if you can’t get one, just stay home.

    The hospitals are getting overwhelmed and the wait times are insane because of all the frivolous ER visits for tests in people with minor illness or no symptoms. Nurses and doctors are getting burnt out with the insanity of it all.

    Unless you’re very sick, stay home!!

    Great PSA.

    Here in Massachusetts, 91% of the total population has had at least one shot and 75% are fully vaccinated, yet our little suburban hospital is overwhelmed and looking forward to help from the National Guard.

    None of us have symptoms, but wanted to know how to get tested in case we develop some. I'm with the VA, so checked for my other family members. Possibly they'd use the free test service at CVS. We can't get same day, or next day, or at the closest store, but there are appts available two days out in the next town over.

    https://www.cvs.com/minuteclinic/covid-19-testing

    I also ordered a two kit test from Amazon, which will arrive in a few weeks.

    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B09KZ6TBNY/

    And now I see I can request a free at-home kit from my state:

    https://www.ondemand.labcorp.com/ma-testing

    The thing is, many are coming in for unnecessary tests. For example, a mom with her 2 toddlers who have barely any symptoms came in yesterday. She tested positive and wanted her kids tested. They are not in school or daycare, just at home. I told her that they don’t need to be tested. If someone in the home tests positive and others have symptoms, then they have it too but knowing won’t change the treatment at all. It is still just let it run its course for the most part unless you’re sick enough to require oxygen and hospitalization.

    Also, there are a lot of false negatives going on especially if someone tests too early. There is no point coming in and clogging the ER for a test when one barely has symptoms. They should get an appointment for a test even if they have to wait a while. Waiting a few days will lead to a more accurate test result. Coming in one day one or two of symptoms and testing negative when that person had close contact in the home with someone positive……is dangerous. That person might think they don’t have to quarantine because they are negative but in reality, they are still contagious and tested too soon.

    I’m trying to educate my patients about these things.

    I will say that I have yet to have to hospitalize a single vaccinated person, even the elderly ones with multiple medical issues.

    We recently had a young (39) year old otherwise healthy married man and father pass away from Covid and he was unvaccinated. I have had to admit several very sick, young, otherwise healthy unvaccinated patients this past week. It is insane to me how some people are still not vaccinated.

    The exception to what you’re saying here is if you are in a high risk category and eligible for antibodies. They have to be provided within the first couple of days, preferably before the person is symptomatic. If you have waited until you need oxygen you are too late for them to help.

    Absolutely false. We have been giving monoclonal antibodies. They dont have to be given before symptoms develop. False false false. We give them up to 10 days of symptoms. With the new variant, the ones we have are not effective though.

    Well, that’s interesting, since it’s not what the guidelines say. Within four days, no later than seven.

    https://www.unc.edu/posts/2021/08/31/monoclonal-antibody-infusion-therapy-for-covid-19/

    This is what I've heard (Dr Daniel Griffin on TWIV). As you mentioned in an earlier post, it is pretty much too late if oxygen levels decrease.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,457 Member
    ythannah wrote: »
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    I’m a healthcare worker and I am asking that everyone tell all their friends and family to stop coming to the ER for minor illnesses and for testing. Make an appointment for a test and if you can’t get one, just stay home.

    The hospitals are getting overwhelmed and the wait times are insane because of all the frivolous ER visits for tests in people with minor illness or no symptoms. Nurses and doctors are getting burnt out with the insanity of it all.

    Unless you’re very sick, stay home!!

    Luckily here testing was not the responsibility of hospitals, it was done by the public health unit. I think there was a test site on the hospital campus but separate from the main facility. Hospitals do test their own patients, but don't perform general public testing.

    Historically there has been a lot of rather frivolous use of ER services, due in part to the large number of people who have no family doc. That dropped way down during Covid. I had to go to ER twice since March 2020 and it was eerily quiet, not the same experience at all.

    I'm sorry things are so crazy for you and your colleagues. Hopefully things get better soon.

    Yes, it does seem as though people have thought everything was an emergency for decades. Luckily, my only issue since covid was when I was just sick... I couldn't get an appt with my Dr. and ended up going to urgent care. Turned out it was just e. coli. If I couldn't get into urgent care, I would have just hoped it went away on its own because it was not an ER situation.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 7,554 Member
    edited January 4
    SModa61 wrote: »
    sarah7591 wrote: »
    It is starting to feel like I am in the minority for NOT having contracted Covid for the past 2 years... I wonder what the stats are going to look like for the US after this current Omicron wave goes past - even without the home test positives not being in the data most likely.

    I imagine the stats are much, much higher. I had it (fully vaxxed) and other family members had it and we did not report it just stayed home and got through it.

    what do you mean you didnt report it?

    Don't you have to report positive RATS tests and/or follow up with official PCR test?

    genuine question - we certainly have to do that here in Aust but I understand rules in different countries are different.
    If you dont have to do so or people are not, even though they are meant to - then yes, your official stats will clearly be under what is actually happening





    And Yes, PaperPudding, IMO the totals are very under-reported because of all the home testing.

    Yes that would definitely be the case then if you don't need to report positive RATS or follow up with PCR if positive.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 7,554 Member
    COGypsy wrote: »
    sarah7591 wrote: »
    It is starting to feel like I am in the minority for NOT having contracted Covid for the past 2 years... I wonder what the stats are going to look like for the US after this current Omicron wave goes past - even without the home test positives not being in the data most likely.

    I imagine the stats are much, much higher. I had it (fully vaxxed) and other family members had it and we did not report it just stayed home and got through it.

    what do you mean you didnt report it?

    Don't you have to report positive RATS tests and/or follow up with official PCR test?

    genuine question - we certainly have to do that here in Aust but I understand rules in different countries are different.
    If you dont have to do so or people are not, even though they are meant to - then yes, your official stats will clearly be under what is actually happening

    I didn't have to report my positive results but I did get a call from the test and trace corps. They keep track of positive cases here in NYC. But that's only because I got tested at a NYC site. Home testing has no requirements to report. But there aren't many home tests available in stores here.

    Did they tell you to retest after symptoms resolved? I tested at a county site and when I spoke to the person from the health department, they specifically told me I didn't need to test again for 6 months--including for things like surgery. That was a bit of a surprise. The old guidance was that you needed 2 negative follow up tests to confirm you were over the infection.

    T&T didn't tell me to retest after quarantine. My job which pays separate covid pay said specifically I didn't need to be retested to come back to work. It is strange but I guess they are considering the lack of testing available right now.


    I think it is not so much the lack of testing but the fact that antibodies show up, therefore you test as positive even though you are recovered and no longer infectious.

    My son who has Covid in Australia was told isolate for 10 days, no need for a clearance test or re testing, if asymptomatic for last 3 days of the 10, can just come out of isolation.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,346 Member
    COGypsy wrote: »
    sarah7591 wrote: »
    It is starting to feel like I am in the minority for NOT having contracted Covid for the past 2 years... I wonder what the stats are going to look like for the US after this current Omicron wave goes past - even without the home test positives not being in the data most likely.

    I imagine the stats are much, much higher. I had it (fully vaxxed) and other family members had it and we did not report it just stayed home and got through it.

    what do you mean you didnt report it?

    Don't you have to report positive RATS tests and/or follow up with official PCR test?

    genuine question - we certainly have to do that here in Aust but I understand rules in different countries are different.
    If you dont have to do so or people are not, even though they are meant to - then yes, your official stats will clearly be under what is actually happening

    I didn't have to report my positive results but I did get a call from the test and trace corps. They keep track of positive cases here in NYC. But that's only because I got tested at a NYC site. Home testing has no requirements to report. But there aren't many home tests available in stores here.

    Did they tell you to retest after symptoms resolved? I tested at a county site and when I spoke to the person from the health department, they specifically told me I didn't need to test again for 6 months--including for things like surgery. That was a bit of a surprise. The old guidance was that you needed 2 negative follow up tests to confirm you were over the infection.

    T&T didn't tell me to retest after quarantine. My job which pays separate covid pay said specifically I didn't need to be retested to come back to work. It is strange but I guess they are considering the lack of testing available right now.


    I think it is not so much the lack of testing but the fact that antibodies show up, therefore you test as positive even though you are recovered and no longer infectious.

    My son who has Covid in Australia was told isolate for 10 days, no need for a clearance test or re testing, if asymptomatic for last 3 days of the 10, can just come out of isolation.

    https://wi.mit.edu/news/new-research-reveals-why-some-patients-may-test-positive-covid-19-long-after-recovery

    Has nothing to do with antibodies.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Question for you all.

    I am fully vaxed through booster with Pfizer, and as I mentioned I had that lousy long-lasting cold. If I ask my PCP for an antibody test to see if that cold was something more despite my negative home tests. Will the antibody test tell anything of value given my vaccination status?

    I was originally thinking it could tell if I did have COVID, now I am wondering if the vaccination would blur that information.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 32,192 Member
    SModa61 wrote: »
    Question for you all.

    I am fully vaxed through booster with Pfizer, and as I mentioned I had that lousy long-lasting cold. If I ask my PCP for an antibody test to see if that cold was something more despite my negative home tests. Will the antibody test tell anything of value given my vaccination status?

    I was originally thinking it could tell if I did have COVID, now I am wondering if the vaccination would blur that information.

    You would need a Nucleocapsid test.

    https://www.labcorp.com/tests/164068/sars-cov-2-antibodies-nucleocapsid
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,867 Member
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    I’m a healthcare worker and I am asking that everyone tell all their friends and family to stop coming to the ER for minor illnesses and for testing. Make an appointment for a test and if you can’t get one, just stay home.

    The hospitals are getting overwhelmed and the wait times are insane because of all the frivolous ER visits for tests in people with minor illness or no symptoms. Nurses and doctors are getting burnt out with the insanity of it all.

    Unless you’re very sick, stay home!!

    Great PSA.

    Here in Massachusetts, 91% of the total population has had at least one shot and 75% are fully vaccinated, yet our little suburban hospital is overwhelmed and looking forward to help from the National Guard.

    None of us have symptoms, but wanted to know how to get tested in case we develop some. I'm with the VA, so checked for my other family members. Possibly they'd use the free test service at CVS. We can't get same day, or next day, or at the closest store, but there are appts available two days out in the next town over.

    https://www.cvs.com/minuteclinic/covid-19-testing

    I also ordered a two kit test from Amazon, which will arrive in a few weeks.

    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B09KZ6TBNY/

    And now I see I can request a free at-home kit from my state:

    https://www.ondemand.labcorp.com/ma-testing

    The thing is, many are coming in for unnecessary tests. For example, a mom with her 2 toddlers who have barely any symptoms came in yesterday. She tested positive and wanted her kids tested. They are not in school or daycare, just at home. I told her that they don’t need to be tested. If someone in the home tests positive and others have symptoms, then they have it too but knowing won’t change the treatment at all. It is still just let it run its course for the most part unless you’re sick enough to require oxygen and hospitalization.

    Also, there are a lot of false negatives going on especially if someone tests too early. There is no point coming in and clogging the ER for a test when one barely has symptoms. They should get an appointment for a test even if they have to wait a while. Waiting a few days will lead to a more accurate test result. Coming in one day one or two of symptoms and testing negative when that person had close contact in the home with someone positive……is dangerous. That person might think they don’t have to quarantine because they are negative but in reality, they are still contagious and tested too soon.

    I’m trying to educate my patients about these things.

    I will say that I have yet to have to hospitalize a single vaccinated person, even the elderly ones with multiple medical issues.

    We recently had a young (39) year old otherwise healthy married man and father pass away from Covid and he was unvaccinated. I have had to admit several very sick, young, otherwise healthy unvaccinated patients this past week. It is insane to me how some people are still not vaccinated.

    The exception to what you’re saying here is if you are in a high risk category and eligible for antibodies. They have to be provided within the first couple of days, preferably before the person is symptomatic. If you have waited until you need oxygen you are too late for them to help.

    Absolutely false. We have been giving monoclonal antibodies. They dont have to be given before symptoms develop. False false false. We give them up to 10 days of symptoms. With the new variant, the ones we have are not effective though.

    Well, that’s interesting, since it’s not what the guidelines say. Within four days, no later than seven.

    https://www.unc.edu/posts/2021/08/31/monoclonal-antibody-infusion-therapy-for-covid-19/

    I wonder if you two are talking past each other. Nooshi said they don't have to be given before symptoms develop, and your link says 4-7 days after symptoms develop.

    In any case, my understanding is that there is a severe shortage of the one monoclonal antibody that works with omicron (which seems to be typically mild if you are vaxxed), so going to the ER just to be tested still doesn't seem reasonable to me.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,867 Member
    SModa61 wrote: »
    sarah7591 wrote: »
    It is starting to feel like I am in the minority for NOT having contracted Covid for the past 2 years... I wonder what the stats are going to look like for the US after this current Omicron wave goes past - even without the home test positives not being in the data most likely.

    I imagine the stats are much, much higher. I had it (fully vaxxed) and other family members had it and we did not report it just stayed home and got through it.

    what do you mean you didnt report it?

    Don't you have to report positive RATS tests and/or follow up with official PCR test?

    genuine question - we certainly have to do that here in Aust but I understand rules in different countries are different.
    If you dont have to do so or people are not, even though they are meant to - then yes, your official stats will clearly be under what is actually happening





    And Yes, PaperPudding, IMO the totals are very under-reported because of all the home testing.

    Yes that would definitely be the case then if you don't need to report positive RATS or follow up with PCR if positive.

    Totals are underreported (as they have always been), but positivity percentage may be higher than it otherwise would be, as here I know lots of people who are home testing and doing nothing if it is negative and then going to get an official test only if they test positive (or continue to have more serious symptoms).
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,834 Member
    Some people test positive long after they are contagious, sometimes months later. This happened to my sister. So it is kind of pointless to require a follow up negative test. People who are sick just need to quarantine for an appropriate period depending on their symptoms.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,177 Member
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    Some people test positive long after they are contagious, sometimes months later. This happened to my sister. So it is kind of pointless to require a follow up negative test. People who are sick just need to quarantine for an appropriate period depending on their symptoms.

    People test positive months after the contagious period? With the same infection that they had those months earlier?
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,071 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    SModa61 wrote: »
    sarah7591 wrote: »
    It is starting to feel like I am in the minority for NOT having contracted Covid for the past 2 years... I wonder what the stats are going to look like for the US after this current Omicron wave goes past - even without the home test positives not being in the data most likely.

    I imagine the stats are much, much higher. I had it (fully vaxxed) and other family members had it and we did not report it just stayed home and got through it.

    what do you mean you didnt report it?

    Don't you have to report positive RATS tests and/or follow up with official PCR test?

    genuine question - we certainly have to do that here in Aust but I understand rules in different countries are different.
    If you dont have to do so or people are not, even though they are meant to - then yes, your official stats will clearly be under what is actually happening





    And Yes, PaperPudding, IMO the totals are very under-reported because of all the home testing.

    Yes that would definitely be the case then if you don't need to report positive RATS or follow up with PCR if positive.

    Totals are underreported (as they have always been), but positivity percentage may be higher than it otherwise would be, as here I know lots of people who are home testing and doing nothing if it is negative and then going to get an official test only if they test positive (or continue to have more serious symptoms).

    I completely agree that there is underreporting of the total cases due to the home kit testing, but, whether there is a higher or lower percentage of positive, that sounds unclear to me. For example, I have had three negative Covid tests in the past month and my husband two. None of those negatives are counted.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,071 Member
    SModa61 wrote: »
    Question for you all.

    I am fully vaxed through booster with Pfizer, and as I mentioned I had that lousy long-lasting cold. If I ask my PCP for an antibody test to see if that cold was something more despite my negative home tests. Will the antibody test tell anything of value given my vaccination status?

    I was originally thinking it could tell if I did have COVID, now I am wondering if the vaccination would blur that information.

    You would need a Nucleocapsid test.

    https://www.labcorp.com/tests/164068/sars-cov-2-antibodies-nucleocapsid

    Thank you @cmriverside Let's see what my PCP says at my physical on Jan 22. I wonder if insurance will support my interest.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,116 Member
    edited January 4
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    Some people test positive long after they are contagious, sometimes months later. This happened to my sister. So it is kind of pointless to require a follow up negative test. People who are sick just need to quarantine for an appropriate period depending on their symptoms.

    People test positive months after the contagious period? With the same infection that they had those months earlier?

    For travel into Canada proof of a positive Covid test between 14-180 days prior to arrival is valid instead of a PCR test. I believe this is because the PCR test can remain positive that long after the infection is no longer active.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,116 Member
    ythannah wrote: »
    what do you mean you didnt report it?

    Don't you have to report positive RATS tests and/or follow up with official PCR test?

    Here in Ontario, public health testing is becoming overwhelmed and the latest guideline restricts eligibility for PCR tests. Contact tracing and testing is out the window at this point. So, no, a positive rapid antigen test will not be followed up with a PCR for the majority of people.

    I haven't seen or heard of any requirement to report rapid test results, unless there is something to that effect in whatever literature accompanies the test itself (I've never seen one).

    eta I have no idea where Sarah7591 resides, just reporting the current state of testing here

    The instructions on the rapid test tell you to follow up with a PCR test, but there is nothing about reporting it. We did follow up with PCR tests - mostly because my rapid tests kept coming back negative even though I obviously had extensive exposures - I wanted to confirm with a more sensitive test. (Our PCR tests were on December 24 so we were using the guidelines at the time - I know they have changed since then.)

    Of course my PCR test got lost and never was uploaded to the system. The pharmacist checked with the lab and told me verbally it was negative, but he also said it would be uploaded within 24 hours and it never was so who knows.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,116 Member
    edited January 4
    SModa61 wrote: »
    Question for you all.

    I am fully vaxed through booster with Pfizer, and as I mentioned I had that lousy long-lasting cold. If I ask my PCP for an antibody test to see if that cold was something more despite my negative home tests. Will the antibody test tell anything of value given my vaccination status?

    I was originally thinking it could tell if I did have COVID, now I am wondering if the vaccination would blur that information.

    You would need a Nucleocapsid test.

    https://www.labcorp.com/tests/164068/sars-cov-2-antibodies-nucleocapsid

    I wouldn't mind getting one of these just out of curiosity. I had a very mild illness in June 2020 that left me with post-viral type symptoms for 5+ months. I always thought that maybe it was long Covid. Now I am wondering if that is why I didn't get sick this last go round when my family did.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,867 Member
    edited January 4
    SModa61 wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    SModa61 wrote: »
    sarah7591 wrote: »
    It is starting to feel like I am in the minority for NOT having contracted Covid for the past 2 years... I wonder what the stats are going to look like for the US after this current Omicron wave goes past - even without the home test positives not being in the data most likely.

    I imagine the stats are much, much higher. I had it (fully vaxxed) and other family members had it and we did not report it just stayed home and got through it.

    what do you mean you didnt report it?

    Don't you have to report positive RATS tests and/or follow up with official PCR test?

    genuine question - we certainly have to do that here in Aust but I understand rules in different countries are different.
    If you dont have to do so or people are not, even though they are meant to - then yes, your official stats will clearly be under what is actually happening





    And Yes, PaperPudding, IMO the totals are very under-reported because of all the home testing.

    Yes that would definitely be the case then if you don't need to report positive RATS or follow up with PCR if positive.

    Totals are underreported (as they have always been), but positivity percentage may be higher than it otherwise would be, as here I know lots of people who are home testing and doing nothing if it is negative and then going to get an official test only if they test positive (or continue to have more serious symptoms).

    I completely agree that there is underreporting of the total cases due to the home kit testing, but, whether there is a higher or lower percentage of positive, that sounds unclear to me. For example, I have had three negative Covid tests in the past month and my husband two. None of those negatives are counted.

    Well, exactly -- if you had had those tests somewhere where they were reported, they would lower the positivity percentage. That's what I was saying. Among those I know, they are more likely to confirm a positive result than a negative one, especially if only mild or no symptoms. And more to the point, if not for the home test option, more people who end up testing negative would likely have sought out a test elsewhere.