Recipe upload issue

Options
aboer7372
aboer7372 Posts: 6 Member
Anyone notice when uploading a recipe to save and log that the nutrition calculations don't match up?

Replies

• DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    What two things are you comparing? You have to review the ingredient list carefully. MFP might change 2% milk to whole milk, or a measurement might change from 1/4 cups to 1.4 cups. You also have to check the serving size.
  • Swelch5245
    Swelch5245 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just uploaded a recipe that didn't list the Calories, Sodium, etc. I was hoping MFP would be able to calculate it without typing in all the ingredients one by one. I uploaded it fine, but it tells me there are only 10 calories per serving in a chicken, spinach, cannellini soup. I don't think that's even possible. Sorry MFP. I love this app, but your recipe calculations probably need some work.
  • Swelch5245
    Swelch5245 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Me again. Just found a super easy site for uploading recipes that sounds far closer to the actual Nutrition Value than the MFP calculator I mentioned previously. https://www.verywellfit.com/recipe-nutrition-analyzer-4157076
    MFP determined my recipe had 10 cals per serving. :D Very Well gave it 898 which sounds far closer to accurate. :)
  • fotoman515
    fotoman515 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just created an Instant Pot Lentil Sweet Potato Curry recipe with some of my own adjustments. For a serving of 12 the calories per portion was listed as 313kcal. However, the total calories for all items is 1509kcals. That includes the coconut oil, lentils, and vegetables for the recipe. If you divide the total calories by the servings it should be about 126kcals.
    So does anyone know how to correctly determine the calories per portion? Is my thinking incorrect?
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Is it possible that the recipe calorie calculation given includes a standard serving of rice?

If you’ve entered the recipe in the MFP Recipe Builder and sanity checked and verified all the ingredients you used then I’d trust the result that gave you.

It’s not uncommon for a calorie count on a recipe blog to be wildly inaccurate. I think many are auto generated and accuracy will depend on how assiduous the blogger is at checking whatever tool they use has accurately interpreted the ingredients list. MFP rarely gets it right when auto searching during the process. I always search for alternatives for every ingredient just to be sure!
  • fotoman515
    fotoman515 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks Barbara, I'll recheck the contents.