Weight Gain Not Going Down?

Options
Nysportsred
Nysportsred Posts: 222 Member
edited January 2022 in Health and Weight Loss
I’ve been researching this, but not coming across any concrete answers as different articles say different things, but on December 22 I weighed in at 203.4. Today, January 9, I weighed in at 210.6.

I know it fluctuates day to day, but this is weeks now without going down and only up consistently. I’ve never had that happen before.

I definitely have not consumed the amount of calories that would make me gain 7 pounds in 2-3 weeks. My diet hasn’t changed nor has my workout schedule.

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I’ve been researching this, but not coming across any concrete answers as different articles say different things, but on December 22 I weighed in at 203.4. Today, January 9, I weighed in at 210.6.

I know it fluctuates day to day, but this is weeks now without going down and only up consistently. I’ve never had that happen before.

I definitely have not consumed the amount of calories that would make me gain 7 pounds in 2-3 weeks. My diet hasn’t changed nor has my workout schedule.

Are you weighing and measuring all your food on a digital food scale?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,218 Member
    Options
    Have you changed the types/range of foods you eat? Have you been ill or injured? Has your daily life activity level changed since some implied past time when this calorie level resulted in weight loss for you?

If you're calorie counting, where did you get your calorie goal, with what settings? If you're using the MFP approach of eating back exercise calories, what's your exercise, and how do you estimate it?
  • Nysportsred
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Have you changed the types/range of foods you eat? Have you been ill or injured? Has your daily life activity level changed since some implied past time when this calorie level resulted in weight loss for you?

If you're calorie counting, where did you get your calorie goal, with what settings? If you're using the MFP approach of eating back exercise calories, what's your exercise, and how do you estimate it?

I usually go off the bags as far as calories, including measuring based on the nutritional facts, but add 100-150 calories to each meal as a give/retake based in what the bag says.

I haven’t changed my eating at all. I haven’t been I’ll that I know if not injured. My exercises vary but it’s been 2x a week 1:30-2 hours in the treadmill and 2x kickboxing. I don’t eat back calories.

Only thing I ate that was different was Christmas dinner we had a few things I haven’t had since last Christmas, but nothing major.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    Normally for questions like this I check to see if the OP's diary is viewable, but the platform has recently changed...Regulars - are diaries currently viewable? If so, how?
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Normally for questions like this I check to see if the OP's diary is viewable, but the platform has recently changed...Regulars - are diaries currently viewable? If so, how?

Yes, as viewable as ever, AFAIK. (Right now, I'm having a login problem, with an open support ticket, so I have to log in repeatedly, but only in web MFP. I assume this is not a general problem, because no one's complaining about it.)

With the "can't click on user ID in Community to get to basic MFP profile" problem since the upgrade, what I do it click on a friend's ID link in my profile page or timeline in web MFP, then paste the ID whose diary I want to check over the friend's ID in the URL on the result page, hit enter.

I just looked at OP's profile: Seems to be entirely private, so no diary access, just a profile photo. I think that would be true for you, too - I don't think it's related to my login problem, but . . . .
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I usually go off the bags as far as calories, including measuring based on the nutritional facts, but add 100-150 calories to each meal as a give/retake based in what the bag says.

I haven’t changed my eating at all. I haven’t been I’ll that I know if not injured. My exercises vary but it’s been 2x a week 1:30-2 hours in the treadmill and 2x kickboxing. I don’t eat back calories.

Only thing I ate that was different was Christmas dinner we had a few things I haven’t had since last Christmas, but nothing major.

It's probably been long enough since Christmas that any water weight or digestive contents weirdness should've dropped off the scale by now.
    :t
    It sounds like your logging practices may not be super tight, but the adding 100-150 calories should counter that somewhat.

If you have an aggressive loss rate goal, and aren't eating back exercise, potentially some cortisol-related creeping water weight could be in the picture, or fatigue-induced reductions in daily life calorie expenditure, or both.

Without having more info, it's hard to say. With around 7 pounds of gain in 2.5 weeks, if it's fat, you'd be looking to explain 2.8 pounds gain per week, which would require roughly 1400 calories above maintenance calories on average every day of that time period . . . which it seems like you'd notice, whether from increased eating, decreased movement, or a combination. That makes me think the problem is more likely water weight or digestive contents on their way to becoming waste. (You don't have to answer this, but as a thought question, are you constipated?)

You could take a look at this article, see if there are any possible non-fat sources of fluctuation that may a light bulb go on for you:

https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations

Best guesses at some things to try:

* Wait it out. If it's water weight or waste-to-be, it'll drop eventually. Drink enough water or equivalent (no need to go crazy with it), maybe think about your electrolyte balance.
    * Have you lost a significant amount of weight without adjusting your calorie goal? If so, go back through MFP guided setup to do that.
    * Have you lost rather rapidly before this (more than 2 pounds a week on average, say) or been losing weight for a long time (multi months)? If so, maybe consider this:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1

* Tighten up your logging for a while, weigh everything, don't use others' recipe entries, re-check database entries you're using often for accuracy, etc. That would be a double-check on calorie accuracy. Or, open your diary to other MFP-ers, and some of the old hands can take a look, see if anything jumps out.

That's about all the ideas I have, off the top of my head.
  • EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    If you are truly consuming at or below your calorie needs and still gaining weight especially if it’s paired with swelling in your feet/legs and shortness of breath, go see your doctor and have blood work drawn. A rapid increase in water weight can indicate a heart or kidney problem.
  • TX_Bluebonnet
    TX_Bluebonnet Posts: 244 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options

If you click on their image or username and select profile, the option to view their diary does not show up there.

Instead, use the Find Members and select profile from there. If the diary is viewable there will be a green button that says View Diary.

Or, another way to get to someone's diary is from the Food tab, which brings up your diary, but then add a /username at the end in the address bar.
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    A few weeks is nothing. I have absolutely had the scale go up for a few weeks even though when viewed on the longer scale, it was clear that I was still steadily losing fat, because looking at a graph of my weight loss over 6 months, the rate of loss was consistent.

Short term scale fluctuations, and by short term I mean less than 3 weeks, are the main cause of people giving up on diets too easily.
  • Nysportsred
    Options

If you click on their image or username and select profile, the option to view their diary does not show up there.

Instead, use the Find Members and select profile from there. If the diary is viewable there will be a green button that says View Diary.

Or, another way to get to someone's diary is from the Food tab, which brings up your diary, but then add a /username at the end in the address bar.

I don’t get that. Mine was always viewable and lately I’ve been told it’s private yet I never changed it.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Have you tried changing the batteries on your scale?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Last year I gained 5 lbs that, as a regular calorie counter, I could not account for given my intake or activity. Same diet, same exercise. It hung around 4 weeks then disappeared as mysteriously as it appeared. So I say wait it out.