January 2022 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,056 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    @marisap2010 ,@martaindale and @eleanorhawkins Good luck with your races and clothing. I would just dress warmly and not worry about getting hot...I so much prefer sweating to being cold. LOL

:D We have opposite preferences for sure! My goal is to dress juuuust enough to not freeze and cool enough not to get sweaty. I prefer to be cold over hot any day!

@polskagirl01 The polar bear club sounds so interesting! I can’t imagine dunking in that super cold water but I guess it would be easier to do it if you knew there was a jacuzzi on the other side of the dunk!
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,434 Member
    Options
    Great job on your races @martaindale and @marisap2010!
    Hope your HM goes well tomorrow @martaindale!
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Great job on your 5K @martaindale! Good luck on your race tomorrow!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,972 Member
    Options
    Great job @marisap2010 and @martaindale and good luck tomorrow!
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Jan total: 54/80 miles

1/1: 11 miles
    1/3: 5.1 miles
    1/4: 6 miles
    1/5: 3 miles
    1/7: 4.5 miles
    1/8: 12.5 miles
    1/10: 4.2 miles
    1/12: 4 miles
    1/15: 3.7 miles

5k done! It turned out to be pretty perfect weather temps wise. I overdressed a little but it was on purpose and it was the right amount. It was windy and close to 50 F and I knew if I dressed too cool, I would end up running too fast to warm up. My hotel is about 3/4 mile from the start so I took a slow warm-up run there after coffee and a couple mini-muffins from the hotel breakfast. I didn’t need or want to wait around too long outside, so I timed it to get there, have a few minutes to find my corral, use the bathroom one last time and finish my warm-up.
    I love running through downtown! The crowd for the 5k is a lot less than for the marathon/HM but there were still quite a few people along the course. Every now and then you would enter a section where the wind was really blowing! At one point I had the most glorious tailwind ever. It felt like I was being carried down the road. I ran a reasonable pace for a shakeout, 10:26, 10:10, and 9:37 for an average of 10:01. Legs felt good, no weird niggles, and I’m super excited for tomorrow!
    6dfdmuxj0ke5.jpg

Great race. Best of luck tomorrow.
  • Tramboman
    Options
    My half marathon went well today! It was about 38F at the start, but I wore capris, a long sleeved wicking shirt, and my light Brooks jacket. I ended up taking the jacket off after about 3 miles because the sun decided to break through the clouds. The race went around the inside perimeter Robins Air Force Base, starting and ending at the Museum of Aviation. My goal was to finish faster than I did last year. I ended up finishing 1:40 faster, ending up with a half marathon PR. I was 4/11 for my age group.
    23v6gwq13kev.jpeg

January miles: 45.25
    Streak days: 15

Nothing like a PR for the first race of the year. Well done!!!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Great job @martaindale! Sounds like a good 5k and nice warmup for your HM tomorrow! Good luck!

Awesome PR @marisap2010. That's fantastic! Congrats
  • globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    My half marathon went well today! It was about 38F at the start, but I wore capris, a long sleeved wicking shirt, and my light Brooks jacket. I ended up taking the jacket off after about 3 miles because the sun decided to break through the clouds. The race went around the inside perimeter Robins Air Force Base, starting and ending at the Museum of Aviation. My goal was to finish faster than I did last year. I ended up finishing 1:40 faster, ending up with a half marathon PR. I was 4/11 for my age group.
    23v6gwq13kev.jpeg

January miles: 45.25
    Streak days: 15

Very happy for you achieving your goal! YAY YOU !
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    Congratulations @martaindale and @marisap2010 !
    Best wishes today @martaindale and @eleanorhawkins !

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    37F raining 15 mph winds, sounds like a good football watching day. It might snow later which may change my mind.

@marisap2010 @martaindale and @eleanorhawkins great races!
  • Tramboman
    Options
    I know @eleanorhawkins hasn’t posted yet, but I saw her race and photos on Strava, and she’s a beast! Her photos were awesome. Congratulations!!

Thanks! It was horrible, awesome, epic, I'm never doing it again until I sign up for another on a few days time lol. You all know how it goes.
    Luckily all I cared about was finishing within the 4 and a half hours allowed, which I did, chip time was 4:09.32. I would have done it in 4:03.28, which is what it shows for the 3 women I was hanging out with at km19, but (sorry for tmi) I was at the point where my bladder would literally burst if I tried to hold it any longer so I had to go visit a bush. First time I've ever been able to pee on the trails, so a different kind of PR :-). Then I missed a turn and it took me a few minutes to notice I hadn't seen a marker for a while, so had to retrace my steps up the damn mountainside. Argh!
    I took it easy, took photos and enjoyed the scenery, and I showed those antennas at the top who is boss (albeit slow boss) 😂 The only disappointing thing is there were no finisher medals because of covid restrictions. But I love the shirt and buff and I will definitely be showing them off!
    Think I'll be hobbling for a few days.

Congrats!!!!!