New to the Fitness App

Hello I am new to using my fitness pal app. Currently overweight or obese. Embarrassingly I am only 5’ 5” and an adult female at 34 years old and weighing 203 pounds at my top weight. I have lost 7 pounds naturally through calculating. I have lost 7 pounds naturally through working a labor intensive job and I have a lot more work to do. I now weigh around 196 pounds. Still this is a lot of weight and I am not currently happy and I have a lot of work to do in order to gain my body back after two kids and just letting myself go. I need helpful tips with dieting and how to work my fitness pal and stopping yo yo dieting and everything else underneath the sun. I am tired of being overweight and going to almost 200 pounds. Please help. I have used this application before years ago and I lost over 25 pounds with diet and excercise. This time I aim to loose the weight for good and not go back.

Replies

• dorisbailey21547
    dorisbailey21547 Posts: 1 Member
    so here I am again...i just keep failing. i'll be 75 next month am 5' 3' and weigh 183 lb. so i really need help, although I know how to eat right and just get home from work and don't do it. think am a lost cause....
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    To both of the above posters. I have been on this app since 2011 I lost 30lb maintained that loss for several years. Regained and lost a bit over the last few years. The point I am making is that most of us go through ups and downs but never give up. No one is a lost cause. Make small sustainable changes. Weigh measure and log consistently and honestly (even the bad days) and you will make progress. Don't try and lose a lot fast that is not sustainable. Aim for .5 to 2lb per week. Accept that there will be weeks when you don't lose or you gain a bit. Do not let that push you off track. It takes time so give yourself a realistic goal and enough time to meet it. You can do this.
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 815 Member
    I too weigh over 200lbs and I’m only 5’3 and no children to blame for it. If you are determined to stay with it this time pick a sensible calorie goal : ie 1200 is too little to be sustainable for you long term (I am currently losing on around 2100 cals) and then all you have to do is stick with it, day in, day out stick to those calories. Exercise when you can. I imagine you are very busy with small kids so use the moments of quiet wisely- it makes far more sense for me to use 30m to order a grocery shop and plan dinner for a week then to work out as having a healthy dinner has a bigger impact. You got this!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,962 Member
    Tips:

For starters, read the "Most Helpful Posts" part of the Getting Started and Health and Weight Loss topic areas of the Community. Direct links to those parts here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-health-and-weight-loss-must-reads#latest

Those are posts that were written by regular MFP users, then nominated by other MFP users to stick around long term for continued reference, rather than rolling off into misty history. (They're sometimes referred to as "the stickies" because they stick around).

For my taste, the best single on ramp to using MFP is this post:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Don't let the joke-y clickbait title put you off: It's solid, sensible, reliable information.

(Me? I joined MFP in 2015-16, lost 50+ pounds - from class 1 obese to a healthy weight - in a bit less than a year, using MFP. Back then, I was age 59-60, severely hypothyroid (but properly medicated). I didn't materially change my exercise routine or the range of foods I eat or when I eat them. (I changed portion sizes, proportions of foods on the plate, and frequencies of some calorie-dense foods.) Now, I'm age 66, 5'5", been maintaining healthy weight since 2016 (after around 30 years of overweight/obesity before that), currently around 126-127 pounds post-holidays.)

Best wishes!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!