2022 Intermittent Fasting Anyone?

mwright5806
mwright5806 Posts: 12 Member
edited January 2022 in Health and Weight Loss
I started after learning the science of fasting from Dr. Jason Fung on Diet Doctor's website. I started on Jan. 2 with 16/8 then changed it up to 24 OMAD during the week. So far I've lost 13 lbs. Just curious how others are doing it, how much can you lose?

Replies

• lillyy23
    lillyy23 Posts: 136 Member
    Yes i did OMAD for a week and lost 5 lbs... but honestly its very hard for me i prefer to eat 2 meals a day... when i do 16/8 or whatever i havent seen "crazy" results.. the best results was from OMAD but its so hard for me to eat like once a day... I get SO hungry lol.
  • mwright5806
    mwright5806 Posts: 12 Member
    PS1959 wrote: »
    I do IF and fasting that I learned from Dr. Fung. In 3 months (Oct to Dec 2021) I lost 20 lbs. Put back on 5 lbs over the holidays, and am now just finishing up a 48 hour fast. My plan is to do a weekly 48 hour fast, and 3 days of OMAD (The other 2 will be 2 meals per day) I will do this the rest of Jan and Feb. I am eating very low carbs and trying real hard to not eat sugar.
    starting weight 183lbs; current weight 159.2 lbs. Goal weight 130lbs

PS:1959,
    Curious how 48 hour fast works? I wonder if I can do it too? I just need more information on how it works? Thank :smiley:
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    PS1959 wrote: »
    I do IF and fasting that I learned from Dr. Fung. In 3 months (Oct to Dec 2021) I lost 20 lbs. Put back on 5 lbs over the holidays, and am now just finishing up a 48 hour fast. My plan is to do a weekly 48 hour fast, and 3 days of OMAD (The other 2 will be 2 meals per day) I will do this the rest of Jan and Feb. I am eating very low carbs and trying real hard to not eat sugar.
    starting weight 183lbs; current weight 159.2 lbs. Goal weight 130lbs

PS:1959,
    Curious how 48 hour fast works? I wonder if I can do it too? I just need more information on how it works? Thank :smiley:

What do you mean how it works? Fasting for 48 hours would mean not eating for 48 hours.
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    OMAD works for some people (I am definitely not one of them) and if it suits you, is a reasonable strategy.

Fasting for 48 hours does not seem reasonable or sensible to me at all.

It doesn't seem reasonable or sensible to you because you're not someone who has benefitted from it.

I periodically fast for 48 hours and it's no big deal, but I make sure that the day after I eat quite a bit of calories to balance it out. It's not an extreme calorie restriction thing, nor is it taxing at all once your body is really adapted to fasting. I constantly shake up my eating times and eating lengths so that my metabolism doesn't just adapt to one thing like it did over the years of me eating 3 small meals a day.

Sometimes I'll do a 1 hour OMAD window, sometimes an 8 hour window, and sometimes a 48 hr fast with an all day eating window the next day. This had had HUGE benefits for my metabolism, which was really sluggish before I started this.

I could not have possibly done a 48hr fast in the first few months, nor could I have done OMAD, but the body can adjust to all sorts of things over time. I *only* do what's comfortable and what my body responds well to, and because I have a severe chronic illness, I'm extremely in tune with what my body likes and doesn't like.

So yeah, it all sounds extreme to someone whose body isn't adapted to doing it, but for someone like me who is quite comfortable with it, it's not some hardcore, white knuckling intense thing at all. It's really just not a big deal.
  • rewritingmystory
    rewritingmystory Posts: 10 Member
    I've tried it in the past and it's been helpful. So I'm starting again today. Thank you for this post. :) I'll keep you guys updated.
  • roseym10
    roseym10 Posts: 101 Member
    I was able to maintain my weight through the holiday season, even eating cookies almost every day by doing IF. I didn't lose, but I also didn't gain. Then I stopped and gained 2 lbs in a week. I;m back to IF this week, it works for me. It also makes me less hungry.
  • Seasonal_One
    Seasonal_One Posts: 49 Member
    I know that everyone has a different weight loss solution. We are all different and I wouldn't expect a single solution to work for everyone.

For me, Keto and OMAD works because I'm not a person that eats 3-6 meals a day and the foods that I enjoy most are Keto friendly. I'm in day ten of OMAD and this is easy. I could see how others enjoy the 48hr fast. A 48hr fast may not be for me but I can see how this could really help on a plateau issue.

For others that are low fat, exercise the fat away, cals in cals out, I'm super glad that your diet works for you. I'm almost 60 and have had minor weight issues all of my life. I'm confident that I will continue to have my issue for the rest of my life. It's okay, others have way more serious issues to deal with.

Good luck to everyone here and IF or KETO may not be for you. Reading about it never hurts. Thanks for those that posted the links, I've read them.
  • chunkymonkey570
    chunkymonkey570 Posts: 7 Member
    Hi! I am not fasting that long but tonight I am going to try fasting a 16 hour only because I really struggle with pigging out overnight. I want to use it as a tool to control night eating. Hope all goes well for you.