More steps?

Options
I’m 62 yr old and I’m walking 3 miles a day keeping my calories at 1200. I’ve been dieting since 10-14-21. I’ve lost 28 lb since then. Last week I only lost half a pound. Should I raise my steps?

Replies

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Just to repeat what's been said already, walk more if you like it. :) Or change it up by wearing a backpack with a little weight, add some hills, walk faster, etc. Three miles a day is great! You've done well so far! But there does come a time when weight loss slows down and our patience needs to kick up. Good luck in reaching your goals and living a healthier life!!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    lynn1 wrote: »
    I’m 62 yr old and I’m walking 3 miles a day keeping my calories at 1200. I’ve been dieting since 10-14-21. I’ve lost 28 lb since then. Last week I only lost half a pound. Should I raise my steps?

Sounds like you have had a remarkably consistent rate of loss in the past 14 weeks and five days. Weight loss normally looks like the chart on the right:

rs0ixg8o1i74.png

That said, with 40 pounds left to lose, I agree with the others saying it is time to slow your rate of loss / adjust your weekly weight loss goal:

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    You’re losing at a very fast rate. Slow down and be patient.
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    As others have said, slowly down is probably a good idea.

But also, make sure your logging is spot on - weigh everything with a food scale and use the most accurate mfp data entries.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    I agree with others that you've been going hard at it, and it may be time to slow the loss rate, and/or take a break for a couple of weeks (eat at maintenance calories, which will cause a small scale jump from more food in your system, but not something to worry about.).

If you do want to increase your calorie expenditure, more exercise isn't the only option. There's also consciously working to increase daily life calorie expenditure. Lots of ideas for that in this thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1

Some of those ideas might not be workable for you, but I'd bet some will. They're not things you can log and add to your calorie goal, but they can be a helpful nudge to weight loss.

Best wishes!
  • kathymhardy
    kathymhardy Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    ‘Walking more will burn a little more, but walking isn't a huge calorie burner.’

I have to disagree with the above comment. Since purchasing a treadmill (on which I walk, not run) it has helped with my weight loss. Just saying….
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    ‘Walking more will burn a little more, but walking isn't a huge calorie burner.’

I have to disagree with the above comment. Since purchasing a treadmill (on which I walk, not run) it has helped with my weight loss. Just saying….

Cool...but walking really isn't a big calorie burner...it's just not...like factually, it's not that many calories relative to other exercise modalities. Net calories for walking can be calculated .33*bodyweight*miles. I burn around 200 calories walking 3 miles, which takes an hour. I burn more than double that in an hour of road cycling.

Walking is great and very good for you and I do a lot of it...but relatively speaking, it isn't a particularly big calorie burner. It's a very efficient movement that humans have evolved to be able to do without great effort.
  • AnnPT77
    Options

Um, what she actually said was "Walking more will burn a little more, but walking isn't a huge calorie burner."

I think that was meant to be a relativistic statement. It's a true (relativistic) statement, for reasons Wolfman outlined - just arithmetically factual.

At my fastest sustainable walking pace (about 4mph), I'd burn around 118 net calories in half an hour. At about my slowest recent machine rowing pace (mostly heart rate zone 2, so not that intense), I'd burn about 246 calories in half an hour.

Walking is great, can be a good contributor to improved health and weight loss, well worth doing for a bunch of reasons. But she's right, it isn't a huge calorie burner. (Some sources of walking calorie estimates can exaggerate the value, besides.)
  • kathymhardy
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Cool...but walking really isn't a big calorie burner...it's just not...like factually, it's not that many calories relative to other exercise modalities. Net calories for walking can be calculated .33*bodyweight*miles. I burn around 200 calories walking 3 miles, which takes an hour. I burn more than double that in an hour of road cycling.

Walking is great and very good for you and I do a lot of it...but relatively speaking, it isn't a particularly big calorie burner. It's a very efficient movement that humans have evolved to be able to do without great effort.

Aah yes, I understand what you’re saying. I also have an exercise bike which I know longer use since I bought my treadmill. Would that be more beneficial?

• kathymhardy
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Um, what she actually said was "Walking more will burn a little more, but walking isn't a huge calorie burner."

I think that was meant to be a relativistic statement. It's a true (relativistic) statement, for reasons Wolfman outlined - just arithmetically factual.

At my fastest sustainable walking pace (about 4mph), I'd burn around 118 net calories in half an hour. At about my slowest recent machine rowing pace (mostly heart rate zone 2, so not that intense), I'd burn about 246 calories in half an hour.

Walking is great, can be a good contributor to improved health and weight loss, well worth doing for a bunch of reasons. But she's right, it isn't a huge calorie burner. (Some sources of walking calorie estimates can exaggerate the value, besides.)

I get what you’re saying. Thank you 👍🏻
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options

Aah yes, I understand what you’re saying. I also have an exercise bike which I know longer use since I bought my treadmill. Would that be more beneficial?

It would really depend on how you ride. Unlike walking, cycling can be done at any number of intensity levels. A recreational "cruise" on a bike for example wouldn't be materially different calorie wise than going for a walk. Calories for cycling are derived from the power that is being put to the pedals...this is measured in watts on a power meter and is a highly accurate way to determine calories burned for cycling. The more power you are putting down, the more calories you are burning...so to burn a lot of calories cycling, you have to be putting in a fairly strenuous effort...more akin to running than walking.

In terms of "beneficial," I don't really look all that much at calories in determining the benefit of my exercise or my exercise modality. My primary driver for regular exercise is my fitness and my overall health. Burning some additional calories that I otherwise wouldn't burn is just a nice bi-product. I'm a regular exerciser regardless of what my weight management goals are at any given point. I've done more training for cycling endurance events in maintenance than I ever did when I was losing weight.

I personally have a passion for cycling and mountain biking...so that's primarily what I do for exercise. From a fitness standpoint there are great benefits to working at varying intensities. My rides vary from strenuous to very easy to intervals of high stress and low stress in the same session. I also walk quite a bit as it is very relaxing and it makes my dog happy. I also find great benefit in engagement of other physical activities to avoid overuse injuries as well as to alleviate boredom from doing the same thing all of the time. As a cycling junky, swimming is a great cross training exercise which I engage in regularly come summer. Resistance training in some form is also a very important component of fitness.

In general, diet is going to have a far greater impact on weight loss and weight management in general. Regular exercise is just kinda calorie gravy...really, the calories you burn with regular exercise are relatively small compared to the calories you burn just being alive and the calories you burn going about your day to day. They're a relatively tiny piece of the whole pie. But regular exercise has numerous health benefits...to many to list.

I would try to make efforts to de-couple exercise and your choice of exercise and calorie expenditure. Do what you enjoy doing because you enjoy doing it and it's good for you. Regular exercise also tends to lead to just being a more active person in general because it improves your fitness and makes other physical activities more attenable and enjoyable. 10 years ago I would never think to hike to the top of the Sandia Mountains that I look at every morning while the sun rises...it is a difficult hike and takes the better part of a day...but thanks to regular exercise and my physical fitness, it has become an annual tradition for my wife and I.

• AnnPT77
    Options

Honestly, exercise you enjoy and want to do is the best exercise. Walking is great: Over the summer, I was doing it regularly, getting benefits from it. (Some calorie benefits, some enjoyment benefits, healthful effect of fresh air and natural light, etc. I was also rowing (boats) and cycling on trails - all fun, all good in different ways, for my particular tastes.)

Cycling may burn more calories per minute, depending on intensity. If you enjoy it, do some. Mixing it up can be good, if you enjoy both cycling and walking: Do some of each.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't want to think about being active as all about calorie burn. Sure, moving more burns more calories, lets us eat a little more at any given weight loss rate. But the health and happiness benefits can be even more substantial, in my opinion.
  • kathymhardy
    Options

Honestly, exercise you enjoy and want to do is the best exercise. Walking is great: Over the summer, I was doing it regularly, getting benefits from it. (Some calorie benefits, some enjoyment benefits, healthful effect of fresh air and natural light, etc. I was also rowing (boats) and cycling on trails - all fun, all good in different ways, for my particular tastes.)

Cycling may burn more calories per minute, depending on intensity. If you enjoy it, do some. Mixing it up can be good, if you enjoy both cycling and walking: Do some of each.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't want to think about being active as all about calorie burn. Sure, moving more burns more calories, lets us eat a little more at any given weight loss rate. But the health and happiness benefits can be even more substantial, in my opinion.

Excellent advice, thank you. I find the exercise bike really boring, even while having the tv on. But I do enjoy walking. For me, it’s not only about the calories. I broke my hip 20 months ago and consequently had a hip replacement. So it is also about keeping moving and keeping fit.
  • AnnPT77
    Options

Excellent advice, thank you. I find the exercise bike really boring, even while having the tv on. But I do enjoy walking. For me, it’s not only about the calories. I broke my hip 20 months ago and consequently had a hip replacement. So it is also about keeping moving and keeping fit.

Perfect. 🙂